Nonsense you grew up believing

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I still believe it's bad for you if you swallow it. Is that true?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh, I thought that too.

Nah it’s basically flavoured plastic. It just goes through you. 

Not any nonsense I grew up believing. 

While eating Mulligatawny soup, I convinced a work mate that a mulligatawny was a bird similar to a Grouse that originated from the foot hills of the Himalayas. And tasted of curry due to it's diet mainly consisting of curry leaves which grew in abundance on the hillsides.

21 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

As a small child of about 5 I vividly remember discovering that my own "little stive" sometimes went all big in the bath, and my mum telling me to stop touching it because "if you keep doing that, it will fall off"

I didn't dare go near it again until I was about 13 - at which point I thought "sod it, if it falls off, it falls of - at least I'll have fun finding out"

And did it?.

I've been waiting soooooo long for someone to tell me for sure

That if you stepped on the cracks in the pavement (especially where the pavements were flags) bears would get you. To this day I still find myself subconsciously walking in the centre of pavement flags.

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

That if you stepped on the cracks in the pavement (especially where the pavements were flags) bears would get you. To this day I still find myself subconsciously walking in the centre of pavement flags.

In Suffolk, if you stepped on a crack, you'd marry a rat. No bears round these parts.

On 08/04/2024 at 12:56, maxjam said:

I've only just found out that we're not the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Wash your mouth out with soap!! 

I believed this was a fallacy until one day my mum caught me swearing and did exactly that…my throat stung for hours!

Didn’t have a car growing up but my uncle did. One night he took me for a drive and I got to sit in the front seat. When we went down unlit roads he showed me how he could turn the cats eyes on and off! I was dead impressed but also slightly bemused how this would affect other drivers. Took me many years to work out what was happening 🙄

10 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Didn’t have a car growing up but my uncle did. One night he took me for a drive and I got to sit in the front seat. When we went down unlit roads he showed me how he could turn the cats eyes on and off! I was dead impressed but also slightly bemused how this would affect other drivers. Took me many years to work out what was happening 🙄

I'm trying to figure this one out, do tell!