Nonsense you grew up believing

I grew up thinking that if I swallowed an apple seed, a ducking tree would take root and disembowel me.

Now I have found out the sees are really good for you containing high concentrations of polyphenols.

And apparently, less than 50 people per year are disembowelled by a tree growing inside them.

What nonsense were you told other than the obvious stuff about Santa, tooth fairies, and Sally James always found it cold in the Tiswas studio? 

Muckerette was in her 20's before she found out that actually yes, spiders will leave a cold hard wall for nice soft warm bedding.  Her dad was fibbing all along!  (Missing you already, old man xxx)

Fairly common one I think... we told our lads that the ice cream chimes meant that he'd sold out!  Not sure how long that fib survived, but it was fun whilst it lasted... and saved us a few quid!  😁

This is something that I still am a bitter about. When I was a kid I was told in the history class that the good thing about the WWII was that if some crazy person tried to start the same kind of war that Hitler did it would not be possible because the other countries would interfere and stop that. 

Then the 90's started and the war of Yugoslavia started and people got massacred. Now it is happening in Ukraine and Russians are already thinking of making it worse.

As a kid I believed that we were going to be safe from all of this. Although I also believed when I was told that Pluto was a planet.🙄

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Muckerette was in her 20's before she found out that actually yes, spiders will leave a cold hard wall for nice soft warm bedding.  Her dad was fibbing all along!  (Missing you already, old man xxx)

Fairly common one I think... we told our lads that the ice cream chimes meant that he'd sold out!  Not sure how long that fib survived, but it was fun whilst it lasted... and saved us a few quid!  😁

I Used to tell my lot that the Ice Cream Chimes were from the daily Grimsby Fresh Fish van.

Some thing they now still use on my Grandkids today!

No one was nutty enough to tell me this, but when I was around five I became convinced that if a car would run over my foot, it wouldn't hurt a bit.  I decided to test my theory at a nearby busy road.  I stood on the edge of the sidewalk and when I spotted a car driving close to the road's edge I quickly stuck my foot out, but much to my irritation, the drivers always swerved away at the last second.  This time I would succeed though, for a big wide lorry truck was coming, yet just before I was able to shoot my foot out some fellow who had observed me yanked me backwards, yelling, what the hell are you doing you crazy kid. 

I learned from that episode that adults can be really annoying.

Edited by ramit
typo

1 hour ago, sage said:

That Uncle Derek had a pet snake that spat at you if you stroked it too much.

Wasn't there a re-jigged war song that the family sang along to as well?

"Petsnake, it only has one eye" etc... 

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

My neighbour used to tell his kids if they find a coin in the house or in the car and it's got the queen's head on it it is his. It didn't last long though.

70 years is quite a long time in my book.

14 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

My mum told me that if I swallowed chewing gum it would wrap round my heart and I would die. You can imagine the panic when i accidentally swallowed chewing gum 

I still believe it's bad for you if you swallow it. Is that true?

As a small child of about 5 I vividly remember discovering that my own "little stive" sometimes went all big in the bath, and my mum telling me to stop touching it because "if you keep doing that, it will fall off"

I didn't dare go near it again until I was about 13 - at which point I thought "sod it, if it falls off, it falls of - at least I'll have fun finding out"