Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

42 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Although we didn't have Nyambe last season when playing a back four gave us a good run. IIRC we had Smith at right back during that period. It is quite possible that playing a back four bring us success because playing a  back four is successful!

Be careful what you wish for Dave. Smith at RB would guarantee Hourihane a place in the "2" in front of the back 4.

41 minutes ago, NickPFC said:

LOL!!!!!! So......0-0 it is...deal? Our weaknesses match yours......I wish it were 22.00 right now....on edge!

My ex wife ACTUALLY said after a home defeat.....'It's only a game'.....aaaaarrrggh!

Cheers Nick,

Duly noted. We'll hammer it down the line all night as suggested.

With thanks and kind regards,

Warney x

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Nonsense of course he can. He's got the most ability on the ball and best touch of anyone in the club. I'd love to see him in that position

Exactly. With his quick feet I think he’s a good fit for the number 10 role, certainly better than the Thompson experiment.

Wildsmith
Wilson - Nelson - Cashin - Sibley
Smith - Adams - Thompson
NML - Collins - CBT

Subs: Loach, K. Robinson, Ward, Hourihane, Fornah, Waghorn, Washington

Traditional 4-3-3 with a flat midfield, Thommo as a 10 doesn't (or hasn't) worked so far,
NML + CBT to start as traditional wingers rather than the free roam that was deployed at home v Blackpool (CBT was almost a central midfielders)
The three of Smith, Adams and Thommo should give enough stability defensively
Harsh on Ward, but i'd bring in the extra central midfielders over him - can come on with 60/70 mins left for CBT
Hoping this can be the game CBT shows us what he's all about, looked very lively in the first half v Blackpool

Safe travels to all making the trip! 

1 hour ago, NickPFC said:

LOL!!!!!! So......0-0 it is...deal? Our weaknesses match yours......I wish it were 22.00 right now....on edge!

My ex wife ACTUALLY said after a home defeat.....'It's only a game'.....aaaaarrrggh!

Derby cross more often than any other side in this league, with 10% more accurate crosses per 90 than the next best side.

We also love an attacking set-piece, which looks like one of your favourite ways to concede at home.

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Nonsense of course he can. He's got the most ability on the ball and best touch of anyone in the club. I'd love to see him in that position

He really can't. You have to receive the ball with back to goal or on the half turn. He could maybe do it as a sub in the last 20 when a game is stretched.

His ball retention % would be very low.

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

Be careful what you wish for Dave. Smith at RB would guarantee Hourihane a place in the "2" in front of the back 4.

Oh no, I wasn't wishing for Smith at right back, I was saying that our good performances with 4 at the back wasn't necessarily because of Nyambe, but that 4 at the back works for us, the alternatives don't!

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

Caught the local bus down to Portsmouth harbour this morning and asked the bus driver if he'd accept my gold card. He said, "From God's own county - definitely!" He was wearing a Derby County lanyard and turns out he is from Allestree! Got to be a good omen, that. 

So he's from God's own suburb, then? 

1 hour ago, NickPFC said:

Any Smiths fans in Derby ranks? I always find myself singing: 'He was a sweet and tender Hourihane.'

I certainly am with my Morrissey sleeve. I’ve long thought of a Morrissey tune for our players but to no avail. Good effort. Maybe this charming man about Ebou Adams. 

2 hours ago, NickPFC said:

Any Smiths fans in Derby ranks? I always find myself singing: 'He was a sweet and tender Hourihane.'

Hell NO @NickPFC , anything but a "music for the manically depressed" song from Morrisey, whatever minor it's been written in 😉