Match Thread: vs Portsmouth (a)

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The way we played against Blackpool resulted in Ward tucking in or Mendez-Laing dropping off to make a midfield 3. Even in our 3412, the '1' (such as Barkhuizen) would be the 3rd midfielder.

Maybe…..but that’s not a true central mf three…..and with the threats on the wing from Pompey we will need proper cover down the sides I think. I would go with a true 4-5-1 at Pompey….but it’s all opinions…..

But I’m sure PW will throw us a bit of a curved ball anyway…..bottom line is that we need every player on their game.

COYR

52 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Maybe…..but that’s not a true central mf three…..and with the threats on the wing from Pompey we will need proper cover down the sides I think. I would go with a true 4-5-1 at Pompey….but it’s all opinions…..

But I’m sure PW will throw us a bit of a curved ball anyway…..bottom line is that we need every player on their game.

COYR

We should consider using either a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond) formation to counter Portsmouth's favoured 4-2-3-1. That way we have the best chance of overloading the midfield to gain control, focus attacks down the wings to exploit wide spaces, and be prepared to sit back in a compact low block and unleash quick counter-attacks. Player roles and adaptability will be essential, and set-piece preparation could prove decisive in this tactical battle.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

We should consider using either a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond) formation to counter Portsmouth's favoured 4-2-3-1. That way we have the best chance of overloading the midfield to gain control, focus attacks down the wings to exploit wide spaces, and be prepared to sit back in a compact low block and unleash quick counter-attacks. Player roles and adaptability will be essential, and set-piece preparation could prove decisive in this tactical battle.

How do you focus attacks down the wing with a midfield diamond?

We will play 433

My concern is if we set up with a midfield two ….. again, because we will be over-run …. again. Especially if Hourihane starts, because then we will only have a midfield one and a half. It will also mean we have gone for “whack it wide and lob it into the box” …. again, so all Portsmouth will have to do is what Northampton did - put an extra man on each wing back.

We need to go 3 in midfield, and we need to play our game and make Portsmouth worry about us, not the other way round.

We can get at least a point from this match if we want to, and if we are allowed to.

Tough Tough game this even more so now with all three nearest challengers all won yesterday

We really need something from the game and i would snatch your hand off right now for a draw,if we do happen to lose hopefully it will not be a big loss as Bolton are now only 4 goals behind us in the GD column and scored more goals than us it could be that tight come the end of the season

Armchair supporter tonight after the game got moved for TV,COYR

20 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

My concern is if we set up with a midfield two ….. again, because we will be over-run …. again. Especially if Hourihane starts, because then we will only have a midfield one and a half. It will also mean we have gone for “whack it wide and lob it into the box” …. again, so all Portsmouth will have to do is what Northampton did - put an extra man on each wing back.

We need to go 3 in midfield, and we need to play our game and make Portsmouth worry about us, not the other way round.

We can get at least a point from this match if we want to, and if we are allowed to.

My concern is we'll play Wilson and Ward, what with Sibs and (I don't track back)CBT on the other side, there'll not be much defensive solidity.

As promised, an update on the team prior to tonight's match; as has been reported already, Callum Elder is out for another two weeks with a groin strain. I'd imagine that almost certainly means that Sibbo will play LB in a 4 with Wilson, Nelson and Cash. It's a solid enough foundation IMO, as whilst I do think Elder is far better than we've seen, Sibbo is playing well and one silly card aside, has been a proper team player. Perhaps he can pop up with one of his wonder-strikes tonight, assuming we're not under the cosh that is!

Also absent are both barks and Fozzy, both suffering from calf strains and it'll be a week or two before either is ready for a return to 1st team action. Bradley is again absent suspended for his moment of idiocy against Northampton. All season, I've backed the lad to come good at some point, but I have to say this still really feckin grates. It was petulant, selfish and utterly pointless and my patience with him is now hanging by a thread. Brought it to set the tone and lead by example, he'd just found some form after a difficult start to his time at the club and he's repaid Warne by acting like a t*** and merely adding to his selection issues. Sonny, there are no excuses pal, so stop trying to make them and assume some feckin responsibility.

Both Max and Dwight are on the mend; I think Max is expected to be back in a game or two, while Dwight's prognosis is not so clear, with PW saying he hopes to have him back before the season ends. Gutted really, as the lad was flying and we look a different side with him stretching defences and bringing others into play with back to goal. Likewise, his goal threat is a huge loss. Thankfully, Collo looked sharp on his comeback. We desperately need a strong performance from him tonight.

We already know that Nyambe is out for the season, likewise TJJ, though Vickers is back in training though still a week or two off a return. I'd thought they'd said young Jake Rooney was back in full training, but sadly this seems to be incorrect. We are told, however, that he is making an excellent recovery from what was a horrid ACL injury, but it'll be pre-season before we see him again. He's one to look forward to all the same.

That's it from me. Hopefully we secure at least a point tonight, but mostly I hope we are brave and try and play our football. The away tickets are sold out, so there will be a really good following at Fratton Park to cheer the lads on and all that's left is to wish those making the long trek down to Portsmouth a safe journey and s***-eating grins all the way home! A win tonight and we're pretty much guaranteed promotion, though a point would be a great result too. I think we can do it.

COYR
BE MORE B4

The danger posed by their wide players certainly concerns me. I think Ward and Wilson on the right have shown they can work well together defensively, but Sibley might find himself isolated unless someone more diligent defensively than CBT is tasked with supporting him. 

I suspect it will be 433 leaving 3 decisions in my view with the same goalkeeper and back 4.

The midfield 3 should be Adams, Smith and either Hourihane or Thompson.

The 2 wide players should be Mendez-Laing and either Ward or Blackett-Taylor.

The centre forward should be either Collins or Washington.

I think Warne will go Hourihane, for his experience, Ward, as potentially better defensively and at crossing, and Collins, as the most likely goal threat. Tough on Blackett-Taylor maybe but he will likely feature as a substitute. Thompson probably didn’t do enough starting at Northampton and Washington probably didn’t do enough starting against Blackpool.

I would take a point right now!