Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I heard that Richard Barker made some quite harsh comments about CBT’s attitude to Warne’s training schedule. If so, I’d guess we thought he was fitter than he is, and that his attitude to training would be better 

I don’t think it was an attitude problem at all. Think he basically said he wasn’t up to our standard of training because of the low standard he’d be partaking in at Charlton. That added with a few niggles and he’s never really got going. 

19 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Wildsmith

Nelson   Forsyth   Cashin

Wilson           Smith      Adams            Sibley 

Mendez-Laing        Waghorn          Blackett-Taylor 

I think with three central defenders and Smith and Adams in front of them, we should be able to risk three up front and let CBT show what he’s capable of.

That's what I would choose too assuming CBT is ready to start. That team should be more than capable of beating Northampton if they are at 7 out of 10 levels.

19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn and Mendez-Laing starting the game in a 5212. Waghorn off in the 2nd half, with Washington and Blackett-Taylor seeing the game out in a 523. If we're a couple up, we could rest Mendez-Laing and play Sibley further forward.

Starting 11
Wildsmith
Ward   Smith   Hourihane   Sibley
Adams
Waghorn   Mendez-Laing

Finishers
Wildsmith
Wilson   Thompson   Adams   Elder
Sibley   Blackett-Taylor
Washington

Spot on.

Not sure why people want to play wingers either side of Waggy when we are playing with wing backs.

The whole point of wing backs os everyone else plays narrow to allow them space to move into.

18 hours ago, Srg said:

Wildsmith

Nelson, Foz, Cash

Ward, Smith, Adams, Sibley

NML, Waghorn, CBT

It's Blackett-Taylor time

getting ready clark kent GIF by HULU

Exactly what I'd go with. My concern is Warne will opt for Kane Wilson to replace Barkhuizen rather than Blackett-Taylor. Whilst I really like Wilson, I only see him as a starter at RWB (and would put Ward ahead of him currently based on the quality of their respective delivery). Wilson just doesn't have the consistent final 3rd quality to worry defenders in the same way that a pacey, goal scoring winger like CBT would do & I hope this is what Warne bases his selection on, rather than CBT struggling to match the physical demands of the training regime. CBT's threat would I believe likely create more space for Waggy & Mendez-Laing also.

I'd echo other posters nervousness about this fixture following on from the superb result against Bolton - whilst Northampton have little to play for & seemingly some absences, I'm wary they'll see this as a free hit against the biggest side in the division in front of probably their biggest crowd of the season. Our midfield plus the two wingbacks are going to have to work hard as a unit to stop them playing their attractive passing style or its going to be a long afternoon. There is maybe a case for including Thompson in the centre from the start & replacing one of the wingers to make us more solid there but would be equally happy with two wingers to spread the play.

The opportunity to go 7 points clear of Bolton & just as importantly, move beyond the 80 point mark is tantalising. Time to ram home that advantage Derby 💪🐏

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Exactly what I'd go with. My concern is Warne will opt for Kane Wilson to replace Barkhuizen rather than Blackett-Taylor. Whilst I really like Wilson, I only see him as a starter at RWB (and would put Ward ahead of him currently based on the quality of their respective delivery). Wilson just doesn't have the consistent final 3rd quality to worry defenders in the same way that a pacey, goal scoring winger like CBT would do & I hope this is what Warne bases his selection on, rather than CBT struggling to match the physical demands of the training regime. CBT's threat would I believe likely create more space for Waggy & Mendez-Laing also.

I'd echo other posters nervousness about this fixture following on from the superb result against Bolton - whilst Northampton have little to play for & seemingly some absences, I'm wary they'll see this as a free hit against the biggest side in the division in front of probably their biggest crowd of the season. Our midfield plus the two wingbacks are going to have to work hard as a unit to stop them playing their attractive passing style or its going to be a long afternoon. There is maybe a case for including Thompson in the centre from the start & replacing one of the wingers to make us more solid there but would be equally happy with two wingers to spread the play.

The opportunity to go 7 points clear of Bolton & just as importantly, move beyond the 80 point mark is tantalising. Time to ram home that advantage Derby 💪🐏

Wilson in those advanced positions just has a tendency to get a bit lost when being used from the start. It's clear it's not a position he's used to. He can do it later in games with more space available, but if he's playing from the start here it should just instead of Ward.

In my opinion this match is THE most important one of the season. Win and we are 7 points clear which Bolton will have to get something out of 3 of their 7 games left. Draw and it is still squeeky bum time. We must not lose. Approach this one right from the start and I believe we have one foot in the promotion door. Draw and we have one toe in the door. Lose we have one knacker in the door! UTR. 

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Starting 11
Wildsmith
Ward   Smith   Hourihane   Sibley
Adams
Waghorn   Mendez-Laing

Finishers
Wildsmith
Wilson   Thompson   Adams   Elder
Sibley   Blackett-Taylor
Washington

I think this is a smart use of those we have fit currently and I don't think it's too far off what we'll actually see. Ebou has surprised me a little in the more advanced midfield role, as he's actually got a deal of passing ability. No mere scrapper, that's for sure. I think Northampton are likely to try to be hard to break down and for that reason I like to idea of starting Ward over Kane. He offers a potent threat from open play and even more so, from set-pieces and we then have the luxury of using Kane against tiring legs. I can also see Sibbo scoring this week. I think he'll get some room to play a bit and we all know how deadly he can be given space to move into and time to set himself.

As for Fozzy, well he has seen off every FB brought in to replace him and is now setting about seeing off the CBs too. Hard lines for Bradley, who'd been in excellent form before his illness, but it's very difficult to drop Fozzy after his performance against Bolton. He was majestic against arguably the best side we've faced this season and Warne seems to favour the incumbent, expecting players returning from injury to earn their slot again.

Upfront, it's hard to see us not starting with Nate and Waggy, in the absence of Barks. It's hard to know what sort of form Waggy is in, but he has that class-drop edge and if he is fit and sharp, he'll cause Northampton problems. I'd also expect Nate's pace to be pretty potent against this lot, who are not a bad outfit for the grade, but do look a bit vulnerable defensively speaking.

My finger in the air guess is a 0-2 win for the Rams with Nate and Sibs the scorers , but as we enter the home stretch, any win would would be a big step towards promotion. Let's hope we are calm and patient enough to play our football. I'm quietly confident that despite the missing personnel, we should have enough in reserve to secure another vital win.

COYR

11 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think this is a smart use of those we have fit currently and I don't think it's too far off what we'll actually see. Ebou has surprised me a little in the more advanced midfield role, as he's actually got a deal of passing ability. No mere scrapper, that's for sure. I think Northampton are likely to try to be hard to break down and for that reason I like to idea of starting Ward over Kane. He offers a potent threat from open play and even more so, from set-pieces and we then have the luxury of using Kane against tiring legs. I can also see Sibbo scoring this week. I think he'll get some room to play a bit and we all know how deadly he can be given space to move into and time to set himself.

As for Fozzy, well he has seen off every FB brought in to replace him and is now setting about seeing off the CBs too. Hard lines for Bradley, who'd been in excellent form before his illness, but it's very difficult to drop Fozzy after his performance against Bolton. He was majestic against arguably the best side we've faced this season and Warne seems to favour the incumbent, expecting players returning from injury to earn their slot again.

Upfront, it's hard to see us not starting with Nate and Waggy, in the absence of Barks. It's hard to know what sort of form Waggy is in, but he has that class-drop edge and if he is fit and sharp, he'll cause Northampton problems. I'd also expect Nate's pace to be pretty potent against this lot, who are not a bad outfit for the grade, but do look a bit vulnerable defensively speaking.

My finger in the air guess is a 0-2 win for the Rams with Nate and Sibs the scorers , but as we enter the home stretch, any win would would be a big step towards promotion. Let's hope we are calm and patient enough to play our football. I'm quietly confident that despite the missing personnel, we should have enough in reserve to secure another vital win.

COYR

The only reason to play Ebou further forward is for his pressing ability. Either way you slice it, it's a cover up for Hourihane. You're playing him there because Hourihane can't do it and when you do play him there, you lose out deeper because Hourihane is there. It was kinda ridiculous against Bolton that we ended up with our best defensive-minded midfielder running around pressing centre backs after Gayle went off. Should never ever be plan A.

2 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

In my opinion this match is THE most important one of the season. Win and we are 7 points clear which Bolton will have to get something out of 3 of their 7 games left. Draw and it is still squeeky bum time. We must not lose. Approach this one right from the start and I believe we have one foot in the promotion door. Draw and we have one toe in the door. Lose we have one knacker in the door! UTR. 

It's only the most important until the next one.

I don't think it's as important as the Bolton game. Whilst hopefully we won't need it, that win gives us a bit of breathing space in case we only manage a draw (or, heaven forbid, worse) tomorrow. If we'd failed to beat Bolton then tomorrow would have taken on even greater significance. If we'd lost against Bolton we'd already have one knacker in the door.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm of course not suggesting for one minute that either PW or the players should approach the game with the mindset that the Bolton win has given us a little bit of a comfort blanket. I fully expect everyone at the club to view the game as one we aim to win and are more than capable of winning.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

The only reason to play Ebou further forward is for his pressing ability. Either way you slice it, it's a cover up for Hourihane. You're playing him there because Hourihane can't do it and when you do play him there, you lose out deeper because Hourihane is there. It was kinda ridiculous against Bolton that we ended up with our best defensive-minded midfielder running around pressing centre backs after Gayle went off. Should never ever be plan A.

He used to fill in at Am at Forest Green. Basically their 1st choice DM and 2nd choice AM.

3 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

I do think that we win on Friday and we are almost there. The other 3 teams chasing will have to really to pick themselves up after last weekend, even more if they see us 7 or 10 points ahead. Will they really give everything they have got to keep on chasing, or will the playoffs start to be in the back of their minds.

Not saying they aren't going to try, but they'll be getting tired and have to really go that extra mile.