Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn and Mendez-Laing starting the game in a 5212. Waghorn off in the 2nd half, with Washington and Blackett-Taylor seeing the game out in a 523. If we're a couple up, we could rest Mendez-Laing and play Sibley further forward.

Starting 11
Wildsmith
Nelson   Forsyth   Cashin
Ward   Smith   Hourihane   Sibley
Adams
Waghorn   Mendez-Laing

Finishers
Wildsmith
Nelson   Forsyth   Cashin
Wilson   Thompson   Adams   Elder
Sibley   Blackett-Taylor
Washington

Please Mr Warne don't mess about with the team like this on Saturday, lets just get the game won and don't take any risks. Yeh if someones struggling with fitness make a change, but dont just make a change for changes sake 🤷‍♀️

23 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

I see this game is available on RamsTV according to the club website. I thought Saturday 3pm games were overseas only?

(EDIT: Perhaps it’s because it’s an international weekend?)

I'm glad I saw this. I'll definitely be tuning in, as previously I was planning on listening to it while watching Chesterfield on TNT.

And yes the Saturday 3pm blackout is only for non international weekends.

7 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Please Mr Warne don't mess about with the team like this on Saturday, lets just get the game won and don't take any risks. Yeh if someones struggling with fitness make a change, but dont just make a change for changes sake 🤷‍♀️

🤷‍♂️ It's not too different to what we did vs Bolton?
Adams went to AM when Gayle came off
Both wing backs were subbed.
Waghorn not fit enoguh for a full game, so will need to be subbed for Washington
Thompson came off the bench to play CM

The only real difference is not bringing Blackett-Taylor off the bench. He's played as a more traditional winger in the recent sub apps, despite us starting with our current version of a front 2.

I cant see Sibley & Ward starting at wingbacks this weekend. I dont think Warne will risk Ward starting especially when he has Wilson available. I think he will then go woth a more defensive LWB in Elder but then having Sibley as an attacking option from the bench....

Wildsmith - Nelson Forsyth Cashin - Wilson Adams Smith Elder - NML Waghorn CBT

Loach Bradley Ward Thompson Hourihane Sibley Washington

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

🤷‍♂️ It's not too different to what we did vs Bolton?
Adams went to AM when Gayle came off
Both wing backs were subbed.
Waghorn not fit enoguh for a full game, so will need to be subbed for Washington
Thompson came off the bench to play CM

The only real difference is not bringing Blackett-Taylor off the bench. He's played as a more traditional winger in the recent sub apps, despite us starting with our current version of a front 2.

It was a different game on Saturday, we hadn't got control of the midfield (so he had to change things) plus Gayle went off injured so they were virtually enforced changes. I agree Waggy cant last a full game and fresh legs may be needed in the centre of the park at some stage later in the game. I don't like the idea of making so many changes unless circumstances dictate.

3 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

It was a different game on Saturday, we hadn't got control of the midfield (so he had to change things) plus Gayle went off injured so they were virtually enforced changes. I agree Waggy cant last a full game and fresh legs may be needed in the centre of the park at some stage later in the game. I don't like the idea of making so many changes unless circumstances dictate.

Using all of our subs allows us to play the way Warne wants. From our last 6 games, it's no surprise the better performances have come from being able to bring more player off the bench and keep the starters fresher.

Barnsley - 4 changes
Charlton - 4 changes
Port Vale - 4 changes
Bristol Rovers - 5 changes
Reading - 5 changes
Bolton - 5 changes

Out of the 8 games we haven't won since November, we used all 5 subs only twice (Reading and Peterborough)

31 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

From his pre match press conference circumstances may well dictate, I guess that’s partly the point in GoC’s original suggestion.

Gayle is injured for this weekend at least based on the press conference, Barkhuizen hasn’t been mentioned in the pre match stuff but was subbed on Sat due to injury so it could be that he’s unfit for this weekend, same with Ward. Bird isn’t fit yet. Collins isn’t fit yet. Gayle and Barkhuizen being unfit and Waghorn/Washington still working their way back could dictate what we do in terms of changes. 

Warne said in the press conference that Waghorn, Washington, NML and CBT are his attacking options for Saturday. He also discussed which formations and options he’s got to consider with Wildsmith, Cash and Nelson probably being the only players guaranteed of being involved.

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

What examples do you have where Warne has made changes 'for changes sake'? When interviewed post-match  I feel he's nearly always given reasons for his starting eleven and /or substitutions. You may not agree with his thinking but that's hardly what you're seemingly suggesting has been the case in the past.

24 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

From his pre match press conference circumstances may well dictate, I guess that’s partly the point in GoC’s original suggestion.

Gayle is injured for this weekend at least based on the press conference, Barkhuizen hasn’t been mentioned in the pre match stuff but was subbed on Sat due to injury so it could be that he’s unfit for this weekend, same with Ward. Bird isn’t fit yet. Collins isn’t fit yet. Gayle and Barkhuizen being unfit and Waghorn/Washington still working their way back could dictate what we do in terms of changes. 

Warne said in the press conference that Waghorn, Washington, NML and CBT are his attacking options for Saturday. He also discussed which formations and options he’s got to consider with Wildsmith, Cash and Nelson probably being the only players guaranteed of being involved.

Not Adams?

8 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What examples do you have where Warne has made changes 'for changes sake'? When interviewed post-match  I feel he's nearly always given reasons for his starting eleven and /or substitutions. You may not agree with his thinking but that's hardly what you're seemingly suggesting has been the case in the past.

That response was regarding GOC team selections for both halves, not what Warne has done in the past

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Using all of our subs allows us to play the way Warne wants. From our last 6 games, it's no surprise the better performances have come from being able to bring more player off the bench and keep the starters fresher.

Barnsley - 4 changes
Charlton - 4 changes
Port Vale - 4 changes
Bristol Rovers - 5 changes
Reading - 5 changes
Bolton - 5 changes

Out of the 8 games we haven't won since November, we used all 5 subs only twice (Reading and Peterborough)

I get what your saying but my point is, you making 5 substitutions at half time along with changing the whole team around apart from the 3 centre backs and goalie, in my opinion is ludicrous and what you’d do in a friendly not an important league game. Yes if we need to make 4 or 5 substitutions during the game due to tactical reasons, form, injuries or players not yet up to match fitness then so be it.

12 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

If CBT doesn’t now get a run out one has to wonder why on earth we bought him at all… 

I heard that Richard Barker made some quite harsh comments about CBT’s attitude to Warne’s training schedule. If so, I’d guess we thought he was fitter than he is, and that his attitude to training would be better 

41 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I get what your saying but my point is, you making 5 substitutions at half time along with changing the whole team around apart from the 3 centre backs and goalie, in my opinion is ludicrous and what you’d do in a friendly not an important league game. Yes if we need to make 4 or 5 substitutions during the game due to tactical reasons, form, injuries or players not yet up to match fitness then so be it.

I never said half time. I said "starters" and "finishers"

5 hours ago, DE56Ram said:

It is certainly a big one

Win it and match Pompey score on Friday and we go to Portsmouth for winner goes 🔝 COYR 🤞

Better still, we win our next 3, whilst Pompey come  a cropper at Wycombe and against us, putting us top next friday (by 1 point)  and 4 points clear after the Pompey game (with them having a game in hand).

#livingthedream