Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

All our remaining games should be treated as FA cup finals. We would like to win them all but need to wring the best possible result, we can, out of all the remaining games.

Come on your Rams 🐏 

Would be great to nick  top spot and have a trophy to show off on the open top bus around the City. COYR 

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

CBT was always a winger.

Wingbacks doens't suit his game.

If he's played as an inside forward type position, it'll be interesting if he has any impact.

Fair comment though the formation doesn't have to be symmetrical.   Sibley or Wilson as a wing back could come inside more leaving CBT wider.  We've seen managers rip up the rule book - not that long ago inverted wingers were considered new, now we've had Wilder's overlapping CBs, Stones playing as a 10, Trent playing as a 6 etc.    Warne and Barker might devise something to get CBT in his best position and keep his back 3/5 system. 

Edit - i dont mean CBT as a wing back - I mean he plays ahead of a wing back who moves inside more leaving the space wide for CBT.   Sibs and Wilson both have that ability to pass and move and keep possession to do that.

Edited by trappatoni

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We're possibly only 2 injuries away to key players from struggling to get results in 3 of the last 7, we'll struggle enough in them without getting some firepower back .  Tomorrow is a must win should that happen.   

We'd have thought that in January, if you'd said that we'd have lost Nyambe, Bird and Collins to injury.

Hopefully, we've got the depth of strength and flexibility in the squad, to cope with a couple more injuries, especially with players returning from injury. 🤞

5 hours ago, Srg said:

The only reason to play Ebou further forward is for his pressing ability. Either way you slice it, it's a cover up for Hourihane. You're playing him there because Hourihane can't do it and when you do play him there, you lose out deeper because Hourihane is there. It was kinda ridiculous against Bolton that we ended up with our best defensive-minded midfielder running around pressing centre backs after Gayle went off. Should never ever be plan A.

It's all about balance. He will be ok in a 3 v Northampton and if we are only going to use 2 attacking players, then we need a goal threat from CM. If Ward doesn't start then Hourihane must, as set pieces will be key.   

3 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Fair comment though the formation doesn't have to be symmetrical.   Sibley or Wilson as a wing back could come inside more leaving CBT wider.  We've seen managers rip up the rule book - not that long ago inverted wingers were considered new, now we've had Wilder's overlapping CBs, Stones playing as a 10, Trent playing as a 6 etc.    Warne and Barker might devise something to get CBT in his best position and keep his back 3/5 system. 

Edit - i dont mean CBT as a wing back - I mean he plays ahead of a wing back who moves inside more leaving the space wide for CBT.   Sibs and Wilson both have that ability to pass and move and keep possession to do that.

It’s been interesting this season to see how often Curtis Nelson marauds upfield..

11 hours ago, ram59 said:

Each and every game now will be the most important game of the season, until something is decided, one way or another.

People will think I'm being over dramatic, but these are some of the most important games in our history. We've never spent more than two consecutive seasons in this god-forsaken league. Fail to get promoted again this season and there could be a downward spiral. Crowds will fall away, good players will leave, the academy will be ransacked again...

Make it out and maybe we'll look back in a few years and pinpoint this moment as when everything changed, and Derby County rose up the leagues to restore themselves and their reputation among England's footballing elite.

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

People will think I'm being over dramatic, but these are some of the most important games in our history. We've never spent more than two consecutive seasons in this god-forsaken league. Fail to get promoted again this season and there could be a downward spiral. Crowds will fall away, good players will leave, the academy will be ransacked again...

Make it out and maybe we'll look back in a few years and pinpoint this moment as when everything changed, and Derby County rose up the leagues to restore themselves and their reputation among England's footballing elite.

Come on you Rams. Don’t want to agree that we’ll spiral, but another year could lead to 2/5/10 however many more. Let’s do it this year, what a chance we have. 

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Personally I think you are being a tad (but only a tad) over dramatic. 

I reckon, if we don’t go up this season, attendances will drop a little but not dramatically. If we fail to go up next season, attendances will probably drop again but the degree of decline will probably depend on the nature of our failure.

I sincerely hope we’ll go up this year or, at least, next season but if we don’t the world won’t end. We’ll bounce back eventually (I believe) and a few seasons in league 1 hasn’t done too much harm to the likes of Ipswich (not that I relish the prospect).

As for “restoring Derby to England’s football elite”, assuming you mean the Premier League, well I’m sure that’s going to happen anytime soon.

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm not against this, might actually be able to get away tickets again.

10 hours ago, WystonRam said:

This would be mine assuming all fit.(i think this is my first line up post)

share.jpeg

This is how I’d line up too …we have 3 in the mid who can control the game …with  Ward and Sibley wide and Nathan and Waggy switching about up top …I think this is a good side with what we have available