v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The word was can - at left back there is more chance of him actually receiving the football to have opportunities to do either the way we play 

"can" but "hasn't" - it's not hard to understand.

I know we are all focusing on Cashin last night but the strange thing for me is that NML was having a bang average game and yet we kept punting it out to him, even when Corey Blackett Smith came on. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.

This team should be so much better than it is, in the like of Cashin, Nelson, NML, Gayle, Hourihane (supposedly), Bird we have stand out players in this league throughout our team. We should be tearing it a new one. And that is not arrogant or "we're a big club in the wrong division" it is just that with these players we should not be letting teams like Wycombe, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Reading take points off us. Currently, we are nowhere near top two quality yet we should be eating this league alive.

55 minutes ago, Archied said:

Renewed our two season tickets this morning 🐏😀

If I am not at a 🐏 game, I follow it religiously on the tv. I even had a radio to my ear on my wedding day 🤣 For the first time that I can remember, I didn’t follow yesterday’s game. Unprecedented. I just checked the HT and FT score. Instead. I watched the first couple of episodes of Love/Hate which has been recommended highly on the Jim Smith section of the forum. It didn’t disappoint. The acting was excellent, it was tense and exciting….really enjoyable and entertaining to watch. I would certainly have got my money’s worth if I hadn’t signed up to Brit Box on a free 7 day trial. Can’t wait to go back for more. Afterwards having got the 🐏 result, I spent a bit of time flicking channels and ended up with Mrs Brown’s Boys. I turned the 📺 off 😉

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'd like to highlight the performance of the referee and his "barely there" assistants as a contributing factor in the team's collapse. In his last 4 games, he'd handed out 25 yellow cards and 3 red cards. Last night, he booked Bradley for his first foul (which wasn't either a professional foul or a reckless tackle) after Charlton had committed 6 fouls already iirc. After that, it felt like nothing short of GBH would get a Charlton in the book. Well, they certainly tried hard to live down to that standard, but the ref wasn't interested. His indifference to their thuggery certainly contributed to that second half performance because, unlike against Stevenage, the players were completely knocked out of their stride by these tactics. It all made me wonder if the ref had been told that he'd been too free and easy with the cards of late and accordingly took a more hands off approach.

No, Crewton, it was just more of the same. All refs go cardless on the criminals when Derby are playing a bunch of thugs. And virtually every time, a Derby player is the first to be booked, either for a first offence or for a non-foul. This has been the case for years and years, from way before the EFL's campaign against us.

39 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I know we are all focusing on Cashin last night but the strange thing for me is that NML was having a bang average game and yet we kept punting it out to him, even when Corey Blackett Smith came on. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.

This team should be so much better than it is, in the like of Cashin, Nelson, NML, Gayle, Hourihane (supposedly), Bird we have stand out players in this league throughout our team. We should be tearing it a new one. And that is not arrogant or "we're a big club in the wrong division" it is just that with these players we should not be letting teams like Wycombe, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Reading take points off us. Currently, we are nowhere near top two quality yet we should be eating this league alive.

Spot on with your comments and what i look at every game is how many players of the opposition would get in to our starting 11,last night you would argue zero,perhaps Alfie May although he was only a sub for them.

Had time to calm down a bit now after yesterday to give my honest opinion.

First 20 minutes of the first half, I thought we looked good. It was all us, but we didn't create any chances at all. Scored from a corner. 

We go in at half time and you just think come out and get the second goal. But we started so poorly. Despite us being poor, we were still ok and Charlton did not look dangerous at all. 

Then Wildsmith decides to give the most ludicrous penalty away you will see (exactly the same as Oxford away) unforgiveable. Clearly not learnt his lesson. You cannot legislate for that at all. As soon as Vickers is fit, he would be going back in. Then i'd be looking for a new number 1 in the summer. 

Then it just gave them hope, when they had none. Another mistake and another goal.

I was ok after the Barnsley game, thought it was tight, neither team created a lot. Both scored a set piece. The difference was they scored a really great finish, Neither keeper had anything to do. Draw would have been fair.

But last night, we are playing against a team that has not won for 18 games. Regardless of the fact that they have good players and are underperforming. I cannot remember their keeper making a save or us testing him at all. At no point did I think we would score in open play, we could still be out there now and not scored. Which against a team 20th in the league is unacceptable. 

Warne comes out after every game saying we moved the ball to slow, we weren't brave enough on the ball. Yet every game we do it again.

I am not a fan of Warne or the football. You can forgive the football if we win games. But last night was hideous and inexcusable.

I saw people moaning he took Smith off. But Smith was blowing out his arse and was done after 50 odd minutes. Not sure why Thompson didn't get on to replace the energy vacated by Smith. Really not sure why Cashin was left back either. 

We simply have to win the next 3 games. All winnable. But my biggest concern is that we just are not creating any chances at all. 2 games in a row now I can't remember the opposition keeper having to make a save. Even last night if their keeper had made save after save and we were creating chances. You would have come out thinking, its one of them days, Gave 2 poor goals away but we are creating chances so carry on like that and we will be fine. 

The best I have seen us play this season was the second half at Oxford. We were on the front foot, brilliant. That's what we need.

We have nothing to lose now, I want to see us come out, create chances and put teams to bed.

Sitting on a 1-0 lead at home is criminal and has cost us so many points this season. 3 last night, 2 against Wycombe, 2 against Shrewsbury. 

We aren't sacking Warne now. So we have just got to get behind them and hope we can do enough to get up. 

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m starting to understand why other posters have accused you of being a chatbot. Do you have any opinions of your own that aren’t taken from sites on the internet? 
Gayle didn’t look like a bad signing, he looked like a new signing that hasn’t yet clicked with his teammates 

There's a reason he was benched for a very long time in his other clubs plus he has scored a lot of goals for a number of seasons. His injury record in the past hasn't been great.

Those are genuine reasons to have concerns.

It feels more like gayle was a box ticking exercise, we despately needed a striker, he was available as a free agent so no issues with transfer fees or loan payments but equally perhaps not first choice if we had another choice

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Spot on with your comments and what i look at every game is how many players of the opposition would get in to our starting 11,last night you would argue zero,perhaps Alfie May although he was only a sub for them.

A better question is how many of their managers would be an improvement on what we have.

There are no Barcelonas in this league. But there are plenty of neat and tidy teams who do the basics right, and get the best out of the limited resources they have. We're not one of those teams. We cannot survive on moments of magic while the fundamentals of football are so lacking. We're so far away from looking like a side comfortable in their own skin.

It's only been a year and a bit of this football, but for me it feels like a decade.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

This seems to ignore the situation were were in when signing Gayle. Warne's failure to find injury cover for Collins left us in a dire situation. Gayle seems to have been the best of a not good range of options. Hard to use his Stoke time as an indicator since as a Stoke supporting friend tells me, Stoke have serially failed under a long sequence of many failed managers. 

But the worst thing about your post is you are not giving Gayle a fair chance if you try to draw conclusions so early - it usually takes time for players to adjust to a new team, and its not like we are playing well at the moment. Its like you have made your mind up already. 

I don't think his goal tally at other clubs was something to be overwhelmed by, with the exception of West Bromwich.

Screenshot_20240228_112032_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Had time to calm down a bit now after yesterday to give my honest opinion.

First 20 minutes of the first half, I thought we looked good. It was all us, but we didn't create any chances at all. Scored from a corner. 

We go in at half time and you just think come out and get the second goal. But we started so poorly. Despite us being poor, we were still ok and Charlton did not look dangerous at all. 

Then Wildsmith decides to give the most ludicrous penalty away you will see (exactly the same as Oxford away) unforgiveable. Clearly not learnt his lesson. You cannot legislate for that at all. As soon as Vickers is fit, he would be going back in. Then i'd be looking for a new number 1 in the summer. 

Then it just gave them hope, when they had none. Another mistake and another goal.

I was ok after the Barnsley game, thought it was tight, neither team created a lot. Both scored a set piece. The difference was they scored a really great finish, Neither keeper had anything to do. Draw would have been fair.

But last night, we are playing against a team that has not won for 18 games. Regardless of the fact that they have good players and are underperforming. I cannot remember their keeper making a save or us testing him at all. At no point did I think we would score in open play, we could still be out there now and not scored. Which against a team 20th in the league is unacceptable. 

Warne comes out after every game saying we moved the ball to slow, we weren't brave enough on the ball. Yet every game we do it again.

I am not a fan of Warne or the football. You can forgive the football if we win games. But last night was hideous and inexcusable.

I saw people moaning he took Smith off. But Smith was blowing out his arse and was done after 50 odd minutes. Not sure why Thompson didn't get on to replace the energy vacated by Smith. Really not sure why Cashin was left back either. 

We simply have to win the next 3 games. All winnable. But my biggest concern is that we just are not creating any chances at all. 2 games in a row now I can't remember the opposition keeper having to make a save. Even last night if their keeper had made save after save and we were creating chances. You would have come out thinking, its one of them days, Gave 2 poor goals away but we are creating chances so carry on like that and we will be fine. 

The best I have seen us play this season was the second half at Oxford. We were on the front foot, brilliant. That's what we need.

We have nothing to lose now, I want to see us come out, create chances and put teams to bed.

Sitting on a 1-0 lead at home is criminal and has cost us so many points this season. 3 last night, 2 against Wycombe, 2 against Shrewsbury. 

We aren't sacking Warne now. So we have just got to get behind them and hope we can do enough to get up. 

I agree with 99% of what you say. The only slight thing I'd question is you're comments about Charlton. Yes, they didn't look great (until we allowed them to) and they are 20th on a long run without a win BUT, they signed a lot of players in January, have a new manager and picked up very creditable draws against Bolton and Portsmouth in their two games previous to last night. Regardless, we should have had enough to see them off and at least not lose at home.

No such excuses for Saturday though. Port Vale have only picked up 3 points (out of 30) since the turn of the year.

14 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Yep. If we consistently don't play as we want, and haven't really played well all season, as Warne is reported to have said, and we can't pass the ball through midfield consistently, it's down to the coaching 

17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

So can I be bothered to fight my way through rush hour traffic, struggle to find a parking space followed by a long walk to the stadium. And then spend another £30 or so pre-match to watch the team trying to play while wearing their Paul Warne-designed straight jackets and throw away another chance to advance our promotion chances and then trudge back to the car disappointed, frustrated and angry?

Damned right I can. On my way right now!

BIG MISTAKE. ABSOLUTELY HUGE MISTAKE!

Let's start with the ref. I know I always mentioned the match officials, but i don't start with them - until now. Absolutely useless, but completely outdone in uselessness by Derby County. Adams was absolutely clattered 3 times in the opening exchanges without a single one getting a free kick. Some around me in the South Stand that the ref wasn't even looking. I think he was, but he was completely ignoring it. Then Bradley does little more than a bit of arm wresting and hr goes into the book for his first offence. Disgraceful! And that is only the start of it. But his ineptitude had little effect on the result, and lets face it we have overcome the match officials virtually every single match, so last night was no different. In fact it is likely that the match officials now turn up to Derby County matches confident that they haven't got to make bad decisions to screw us over because we do it to ourselves, virtually every match.

And so to the actual football - this shouldn't take long! It was clear as to why Charlton were down at the bottom - the match was obviously "2nd plays 17th". All Charlton brought to the match was hoof it higher in the air than Warne Ball, and kick lumps out of the Derby  players. OH, and it seemed as though they had brought the ref as well!

I suppose that I should have gone home delighted because we saw, perhaps for the first time in history, a Cashin header on target from a corner! But less than 5 minutes after scoring someone near me in the South Stand said "We're sitting back on a 1-nil lead already! - and we were! 

The game appeared to turn on the penalty. I wrongly thought that given this was the ref who reed carded Sibley last season for being fouled that it shouldn't have been a penalty, but by then, I actually didn't care, and noted that their were no protests from our own players. But the match actually turned on Warne's decision to go to a back 3. I have a feeling that this may have happened before during our illustrious history! Why oh why oh why oh why oh why does he keep doing this? And why oh why oh why oh why oh why does he never see that it never, ever works?

A major contribution to our lack of control in midfield is embodied by the Saviour of Derby County, the one and only Sonny Bradley. Virtually every time he got to intercept a high ball, of which there were millions, despite virtually always having the time to take the ball down and control it, he simply headed the ball up in an arc either to a Charlton player, or to a great big gaping whole in the middle of the pitch where our midfielders ought to be, like one of Conor Hourihane's constructive, play-making passes.

I listened to Paul Warne's RD interview, and he spoke of us never really playing well all season, and that we do have another gear to go up to, but which we never do, as though it is solely down to the players. And he still thins that going to 3 at the back is a brilliant tactical statement of genius. I also listened to  Smith give his thoughts, and sadly he comes across mentally as an absolute loser, effectively admitting that there is a culture of sitting back for the rest of the match as soon as we have scored. Heaven help us!

I will be back on Saturday - not for the football, but because my son is off to Spain soon for a holiday where he will catch one of the last ever matches at the San Siro Stadium, so it will be my last chance to see him for a while. Another friend has just had a holiday touring non-league clubs of Bulgaria so at least he will have seen some decent football in recent weeks. Lucy sod!

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If I am not at a 🐏 game, I follow it religiously on the tv. I even had a radio to my ear on my wedding day 🤣 For the first time that I can remember, I didn’t follow yesterday’s game. Unprecedented. I just checked the HT and FT score. Instead. I watched the first couple of episodes of Love/Hate which has been recommended highly on the Jim Smith section of the forum. It didn’t disappoint. The acting was excellent, it was tense and exciting….really enjoyable and entertaining to watch. I would certainly have got my money’s worth if I hadn’t signed up to Brit Box on a free 7 day trial. Can’t wait to go back for more. Afterwards having got the 🐏 result, I spent a bit of time flicking channels and ended up with Mrs Brown’s Boys. I turned the 📺 off 😉

Good for you 🐏👍

2 minutes ago, unclej said:

Spectators would have a legitimate claim under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for a full refund after last night's performance, for selling licences to an event where the entertainment provided was not of  merchantable quality. 

Last night was the footballing equivalent of that Willy Wonka experience in the news right now.