v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

16 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

The criticism isn't so much for going for a back 4, it was when he switched to a back 3 - again - and it all fell apart. The concern over a back 4 was having to put Cashin out at left back.

We started with a back 4 of Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley and Cashin. Nyambe went off injured and Wilson dropped into the right back position, again a back 4. Which of the 4 didn't play in the back 4 but in a different role?

48 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Was surprised to hear Warne say in his post match interview that it wasn’t a tactical game in any sense. I thought all games had a tactical element 

I thought it was tactical to have as few shots on target as is reasonably possible in a first half then let the opponents have the ball for half an hour then go kick and rush right at the end of games or so the 7 year old said recently near me at the games.

55 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

We started with a back 4 of Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley and Cashin. Nyambe went off injured and Wilson dropped into the right back position, again a back 4. Which of the 4 didn't play in the back 4 but in a different role?

I think it ended up as a three because Cashin ended the match driving forwards as a sort of playmaker, probably more like a wing back. Warne spoke of going 3 at the back during his rd interview, IIRC

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I think it ended up as a three because Cashin ended the match driving forwards as a sort of playmaker, probably more like a wing back. Warne spoke of going 3 at the back during his rd interview, IIRC

Best I could tell, we started in a back 4, went to a back 3 when Sibley came on (at left wingback), then went back to a 4 when CBT came on (Sibley went into midfield and Cashin went back to left back).

32 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Best I could tell, we started in a back 4, went to a back 3 when Sibley came on (at left wingback), then went back to a 4 when CBT came on (Sibley went into midfield and Cashin went back to left back).

In summary, it became a bit of a mess in the 2nd half, with the fans and seemingly the players unsure of where everyone was meant to be?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In summary, it became a bit of a mess in the 2nd half, with the fans and seemingly the players unsure of where everyone was meant to be?

Yeah, pretty much.  I *think* it was basically this at the end:

Wilson Nelson Bradley Cashin

Barkhuizen Bird Sibley

NML Waghorn CBT

But I'm far from convinced.

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Darren wassell had by far the best record of any temporary manager we have had....

Why aren't we banging on for him to take over?

If he hadn't elected to play a full strength side against Ipswich causing a catastrophic injury for Thorne and a total re shape for the Hull game, I think he would have kept his position.  Don't forget we brought in Uncle Harry to help out after the Rotherham s*** show as well.

Evening all, I'm probably a bit late to this thread and uploading my vlog, but work is work and I was shattered 😂

A thoroughly enjoyable game of football. Of course not the result you Rams would have wanted, but a vital 3 points in our survival season (not to gloat). For what it's worth, I still think you'll get top2. I think Bolton seem a tad more flakey and I reckon you will lose less games than them till the end of the season. Pompey have really surprised me keeping it together, as I was pretty adamant after we played them the first time they'd fade away at some point.

I thought the ref was a typical EFL ref and thought the football was typical league 1 level with a few quality players on show. In particular for yous Cashin, what a player. 

I wish you good luck getting promoted and really hope you do it, Warne should be able to manage it. Question marks beyond that though as I think Derby is too big a job for him.

Here's the vlog: 

Unfortunately as much as I wanted to capture more of Derby and talk more about Derby pre-game, life is life and I was really pushing it for time, I tried to make it as 'vloggy' as possible. 

Excuse any bad language and thought I'd share as I would have had we lost anyway. 

Thank you to the Derby fans who hopped on again, really nice bunch 👍🏻

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Was surprised to hear Warne say in his post match interview that it wasn’t a tactical game in any sense. I thought all games had a tactical element 

He meant from his point of views.

Their manager used tactics

On 29/02/2024 at 11:11, duncanjwitham said:

Drawing pretty pictures on an overhead projector is one thing. It’s quite another to ask players frequently to adjust to different roles in different systems whilst there are players coming on and off, the oppo is throwing everything at you and you’re  knackered. We’re good enough to win most of the time in this hapless div by playing the system that most suits us and one the players are accustomed to