v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Tuesday 27th February 2024, 19:45, Pride Park.

The first of 4 home games out of 5, we need to make it count. Gayle has to start, we need a striker on the pitch.

Oh, Charlton are on their longest ever winless streak by the way. 18 games. Yep, I know.

Absolutely. Some people have talked about yesterday’s defeat as a missed opportunity (because Pompey only drew and Bolton lost but they’re probably thinking the same with us losing) but it was always going to be tough. Not making our home games count would be a missed opportunity. Bolton is obviously the toughest one but we need to be winning the other three (comfortably would be nice, in order to build confidence and protect our goal difference advantage) and at least not losing to Bolton. If you add into the mix winnable games away at Northampton and Bristol Rovers then we have a great chance to set ourselves up nicely for the run in. Just don’t mess it up Derby.

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The first of 4 home games out of 5, we need to make it count. Gayle has to start, we need a striker on the pitch.

Oh, Charlton are on their longest ever winless streak by the way. 18 games. Yep, I know.

A few on here, myself included, opined they were a far better side than their league position suggested and even than they showed against us and that they would trouble other sides in the mix, which drew predictable scorn. They duly have though. They scored 3 away from home at Bolton and didn't concede against Portsmouth. This will not be an easy game, especially if they choose to play football rather than simply kicking the shyte out of us for 70 minutes, then having a go.

Since we’ve played them they have clearly improved, draws with Bolton and Portsmouth (much appreciated) have shown this and it’s obviously because they have a good manager now and do have a good squad. 

In the away fixture a few weeks ago I think it showed matching them up with 5 at the back can nullify they’re front two whoever it may be. 

I do think 5-2-3 would work well to pin they’re wing backs deeper with our wingers because they’re decent going forward.

Wildsmith 

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Ward Adams Bird Elder 

NML Gayle Barkhuizen

Think the Barnsley game showed Hourihane can’t start in a game like this he’d be a good option off the bench late on if we need his goal with his deliveries into the box.

I think start Ward as he had a good game against them last time out and has a nice delivery into the box for Gayle who’ll eat up chances in and around it. 

Need to go 433

Wildsmith

Nyambe.  Nelson.   Cashin.    Sibbo

Adams.       Thommo    

Bird

NML.             Gayle.         Barks

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Need to go 433

Wildsmith

Adams.       Thommo    

Bird

They play 2 upfront so I cant see us playing with a back 4, our play starts from the spare centre back

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Need to go 433

Wildsmith

Adams.       Thommo    

Bird

Move Sibs for Bird and put Elder at lb. 

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

From Warne's post match comments I can see Elder not playing on Tuesday, also sounds like Waghorn & CBT will be in the squad.

In a 3421 -

Wildsmith - Nelson Bradley Cashin - Wilson Adams Hourihane Sibley - NML Bird - Gayle

Loach Nyambe Smith Thompson Barkhuizen CBT Waghorn

Gutted for Elder, he’s done well recently 

Wildsmith

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Adams.    Hourihane 

Mendez-Laing          Bird.          Blackett-Taylor

Gayle

Know Makes Sense To Me GIF by Hyper RPG

4 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I think start Ward as he had a good game against them last time out and has a nice delivery into the box for Gayle who’ll eat up chances in and around it. 

Those early, whipped crosses with Gayle’s intelligent movement in the box could be a great thing 👏 

7 hours ago, Kernow said:

Well Derby County’s pint of beer is going to get really warm and rancid from all those people having to hold it while we do what Derby County do best.