v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

People have always used the away record as a stick to beat Liam with.  We only played four away games in the league and had barely had a pre-season.  It's too small a sample size to judge. 

We absolutely battered Charlton and lost 1 nil.  Battered Fleetwood and couldn't put the ball in the net.  Admittedly we were poor against Shrewsbury and Lincoln but by God we've had worse performances under Warne and far more often as well.   

Edited by Blondest Goat

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Thank you for sharing an opinion piece from a random website. I’m still happy with my own opinion, which I formed having watched Gayle a bit on Saturday and a bit last night. I think it is possible for him to contribute to our season and will look forward to that possibility rather than writing him off just yet ta 

A few thoughts about last night. Whilst acknowledging that the second half wasn't great, I prefer to remain positive, so, some nice touches from Gayle and hopefully once he gets up to speed and spends a bit more time with his team mates he will be a real asset. A nice goal from Cash. Adams continues to put himself about. Still in with a good chance of promotion, so let's stick with the lads and help them get over the line, as that's what we all want.

3 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

A few thoughts about last night. Whilst acknowledging that the second half wasn't great, I prefer to remain positive, so, some nice touches from Gayle and hopefully once he gets up to speed and spends a bit more time with his team mates he will be a real asset. A nice goal from Cash. Adams continues to put himself about. Still in with a good chance of promotion, so let's stick with the lads and help them get over the line, as that's what we all want.

By god a positive poster 

image.gif.0a790003a27ae1fc9560a3ba69f6c6b8.gif

29 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

How do you see us being able to use Gayle with the current playing style 🤔

3 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Rosenior's record wasn't very poor - he had us in the same place Warne finished only without the benefit of  McGoldrick 90% of the time.    He's showing at Hull that we should have kept him.

Liam probably would only have got us somewhere between mid table and top six in his first season. However, that would have been OK, as I personally feel we would have reaped the rewards of an intelligent team rebuild, as well as developing a system and style of play capable of achieving promotion, with a chance of competing in the ch'ship. 

30 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How do you see us being able to use Gayle with the current playing style 🤔

Bird, Korey Smith and Hourihane are all capable of threading a forward ball through midfield for him to latch on to. A pass from Kane or Nat from the outside? It might not happen as much as you like, but it does happen!

15 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Whilst I can see your anger and frustration. We are still second and you saying we aren't good enough suggests the rest are better, yet they are not in second are they? So keep the faith, every team has a wobble. Still in there and hopefully the rest will have their wobbles.

All to play for.

Ultimately you are right. Straight after the match knee-jerk disappoinment post.

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

People have always used the away record as a stick to beat Liam with.  We only played four away games in the league and had barely had a pre-season.  It's too small a sample size to judge. 

We absolutely battered Charlton and lost 1 nil.  Battered Fleetwood and couldn't put the ball in the net.  Admittedly we were poor against Shrewsbury and Lincoln but by God we've had worse performances under Warne and far more often as well.   

We still had 23 shots across those 2 "poor" games as well. Another 15 against Charlton and 27(!!!) against Fleetwood.

Rosenior threw a new (and impressive) squad together from nothing under incredibly difficult circumstances and had us in seventh, playing progressive football and arguably unlucky not to be higher.

If people think he had his chance and failed, fair enough I guess. But it's a bit rich if those same people defend Warne on the basis he is acting under incredibly difficult restrictions, needs more time to impose his style, has new players who haven't fully settled and gelled, etc etc etc...

Edited by vonwright

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

A fit McGoldrick might have helped 😉

MIGHT being the operative word , in your view and most anti warne posters liam and warne set up and play in a totally different way , now the way warne did things brought out a fantastic season from mc g , there is no garuantee that liams way would have done the same , it’s all ifs and buts and again personal opinion/ choice , I really didn’t enjoy what liam was serving up apart from the promising charlton away 🤷🏻‍♂️

49 minutes ago, Archied said:

MIGHT being the operative word , in your view and most anti warne posters liam and warne set up and play in a totally different way , now the way warne did things brought out a fantastic season from mc g , there is no garuantee that liams way would have done the same , it’s all ifs and buts and again personal opinion/ choice , I really didn’t enjoy what liam was serving up apart from the promising charlton away 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep, all ifs and buts Archied. Who knows, we might have seen similar turgid, unattractive football under Liam 😉

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Rosenior with McGoldrick on the pitch: 6 goals scored, 3 against (274 mins played)

Without: 3 goals scored, 6 goals against (536 mins played)

It also took 5 games under Warne for McGoldrick to be fit enough to last at least an hour - we picked up just 7 points from those games. It's no coinicidence our good run under Warne then started when McGoldrick was up to speed and I have no doubt it would have been the same under any manager.

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rosenior with McGoldrick on the pitch: 6 goals scored, 3 against (274 mins played)

It also took 5 games under Warne for McGoldrick to be fit enough to last at least an hour - we picked up just 7 points from those games. It's no coinicidence our good run under Warne then started when McGoldrick was up to speed and I have no doubt it would have been the same under any manager.

Darren wassell had by far the best record of any temporary manager we have had....

Why aren't we banging on for him to take over?

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be fair it’s a very small sample , though in all honesty I believe a fit mcg would have helped rosenior too , my point is in football the one constant is ,,, you never know , liam could have been fantastic but he could have had a stinker , he could do well at hull come back here and have a stinker same for warne , im only really interested in the here and now at this point , warne was brought in to get us up which is vital to the finances of the club , we are in the shake up and personally I’m not enjoying the style any less than Roseniors , if warne fails to get promotion in the time scale clowes expects the he is gone ,,, it’s that simple for me 🤷🏻‍♂️