v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

21 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Nah,mostly those who still haven't let him go,why would the rest of us be interested?

If we want to lament a manager who actually was both our manager and a bloody good one,let's talk about Stevie Mac,not someone who had a very poor record here both as an assistant and as temporary gaffer.

Dunno, you tell me, you brought him up.

Not wrong on McClaren though, wonder where we’d be if Mel hadn’t sacked him the first time and maybe even the second time. 

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s lost pace for sure and there were a couple of balls into the box which he might have gotten on the end of a few years back.

Just wonder if he and Collins could play together? He looks like he needs a second person to help him create space in the box. With NML freed up to supply them from the wing I reckon they could be a potent force.

I’ve thought similar, to get the best out of the striking options we have I’d play Waghorn and Gayle as a front 2 on Saturday. Sibley or Barkhuizen on one wing, NML on the other, Bird and Adams as a midfield 2 with whatever the most solid back 4 available is and just go all out.
If it’s not working we’ve got the options to change it to 4-3-3 or 3-4-1-2 or whatever. 

5 hours ago, ziggazagga said:

Alfie May and Connor Coventry would get into our first team. I thought Coventry was motm because we allowed him to play. He dictated the game the way we hope Max bird should 

I was impressed with Thomas at the back for Charlton both at there place and ours thought he was comfortable and recovers well 

25 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Nah,mostly those who still haven't let him go,why would the rest of us be interested?

If we want to lament a manager who actually was both our manager and a bloody good one,let's talk about Stevie Mac,not someone who had a very poor record here both as an assistant and as temporary gaffer.

Is this the same manager who currently has his Hull team in the top 6 of arguably the most competitive league in Europe? Yeah, s*** manager, give me Warne any day.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I thought that towards the end of his run at LB last season, teams were starting to target him a little bit - stick your best winger on him and force the ball there because you know he's going to get caught out sooner or later.  Overall he did a decent enough job and all that, and I can't fault him for effort or anything, but he's just not experienced enough at the position to deal with a top winger at this level.  You wouldn't want him up against someone like NML for example.  But like I said, Charlton didn't seem to have one of those, so I think he'd have been fine.

Apparently their top winger was CBT and from what I have seen there, I think I could comfortably have played left back last night. Let’s face it, who was clamouring for our best centre back and only asset played at left back so Bradley could lumber around again. I won’t speak for the rest of you but it wasn’t me! 

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Adams has provided much needed midfield steel… but he ain’t it.

Just not good enough on the ball.

He shouldn’t be on the ball that much. He should be playing at the base of a midfield 3, freeing Hourihane and Bird from defensive duty’s. Don’t care what anyone says, Hourihane and Bird are the best two midfielders in the league if played the correct way. 

6 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yes. Which is why your line of questioning as to if he’s a “bad signing” seems negatively loaded to me. It was circumstantial, potentially avoidably so, but once we needed a striker he was an option and we signed him. Almost by definition it was a box ticking exercise, the box said we need to sign a striker and he was the tick.

I saw enough in his movement briefly on Saturday and last night to see there’s still talent there. If and how Warne and the other players unlock that talent to our benefit as quickly as possible interests me far more than what he did last season or his injury history from Wikipedia or another source. 

https://www.derbycounty.news/news/dwight-gayle-verdict-emerges-after-derby-county-debut-ends-in-disappointment/

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s lost pace for sure and there were a couple of balls into the box which he might have gotten on the end of a few years back.

Just wonder if he and Collins could play together? He looks like he needs a second person to help him create space in the box. With NML freed up to supply them from the wing I reckon they could be a potent force.

Personally I think we have to play two up top if we have players available for the rest of the season

4 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing with Sibley at left back is, he's good going forwards, but less good when he has to do some proper defending.  Last night, against a pretty poor, out of form team, at home, should have been an obvious game to use Sibley there.  They didn't really get at Cashin all that often, certainly not to the extent where you're thinking Sibley would have struggled.

Yes and with both Smith and Adams we had plenty of midfield cover for at least one full back to attack  - Nyambe being more defensive.  

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Rosenior's record wasn't very poor - he had us in the same place Warne finished only without the benefit of  McGoldrick 90% of the time.    He's showing at Hull that we should have kept him.

2 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Rosenior's record wasn't very poor - he had us in the same place Warne finished only without the benefit of  McGoldrick 90% of the time.    He's showing at Hull that we should have kept him.

He won four and lost three out of nine league games. He didn’t win an away league game.

Why is McGoldrick being injured or unfit always used as a shield for Rosenior? We have had so many unfortunate injuries under Warne and no-one seems to sympathise.

For Rosenior, 14 points from 27 points simply wasn’t a compelling audition for the full time role assuming he wanted it.

He is doing a good job at Hull at the moment, but in what way are the circumstances at Hull comparable to ours?

13 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

At least games we didn’t win I was at least entertained and we had attempts on goal. Most game we were having 20 odd attempts at goal but just couldn’t score. Add to that season mcgoldrick scored most of our goals and he couldn’t use him he could have made a real difference to Roseniors short stint. Apart from the Lincoln game I enjoyed most of the games under Rosenior now I don’t enjoy games full stop apart from to say we won a game. A season ticket is a lot of money to go to games not for the omens but more of a chore to do so and this season and last I don’t get to Friday and think get in we have a game tomorrow but I will carry on going to game regardless as that’s what us Derby fans do 

15 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Indeed. He managed to cobble together a squad in 5 minutes, had very little time to get them ready for the new season but still got them just outside the play offs. You could see what the plan was, what the tactics were. Two seasons in I am still pretty clueless as to what our plan is under Warne. There wasn’t the need to make the change at that time. I am pleased that Liam is doing such a good job at Hull. A good young, progressive manager that I for one wish was still with the 🐏. When/if we replace Warne I hope we go for a young, exciting coach like Ipswich, Southampton and Hull have done 😊

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Indeed. He managed to cobble together a squad in 5 minutes, had very little time to get them ready for the new season but still got them just outside the play offs. You could see what the plan was, what the tactics were. Two seasons in I am still pretty clueless as to what our plan is under Warne. There wasn’t the need to make the change at that time. I am pleased that Liam is doing such a good job at Hull. A good young, progressive manager that I for one wish was still with the 🐏. When/if we replace Warne I hope we go for a young, exciting coach like Ipswich, Southampton and Hull have done 😊

He also stuck around through all the mess and you could tell he loved being at Derby. His rushed transfer window was better than the 3 warne has had and the summer one just under severely less restrictions and a lot more time to plan. 

knew the game plan and didn’t alter it to combat other teams we concentrated on ourselves. 

32 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

At least games we didn’t win I was at least entertained and we had attempts on goal. Most game we were having 20 odd attempts at goal but just couldn’t score. Add to that season mcgoldrick scored most of our goals and he couldn’t use him he could have made a real difference to Roseniors short stint. Apart from the Lincoln game I enjoyed most of the games under Rosenior now I don’t enjoy games full stop apart from to say we won a game. A season ticket is a lot of money to go to games not for the omens but more of a chore to do so and this season and last I don’t get to Friday and think get in we have a game tomorrow but I will carry on going to game regardless as that’s what us Derby fans do 

I liked Liam, so positive and wanted us to play better football but “entertained ?” No way. It was pedestrian sidey backwards over coached caution .. now maybe that was about player ability and not Liams fault ? but the same conclusions with a different style can be applied to Warne. There have been in equal measure some entertaining performances but some flipping dire ones …. like most of last night…... We are so inconsistent it’s painful. Yet on the day I know these lads have it, but we just don’t see it often enough. Is it age or coaching or just flawed old champ players and others who are well … just L1 ? 

Edited by jono

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I liked Liam, so positive and wanted us to play batter football but “entertained ?” No way. It was pedestrian sidey backwards over coached caution .. now maybe that was about player ability and not Liams fault ? but the same conclusions with a different style can be applied to Warne. There have been in equal measure some entertaining performances but some flipping dire ones …. like most of last night…... We are so inconsistent it’s painful. Yet on the day I know these lads have it, but we just don’t see it often enough. Is it age or coaching or just flawed old champ players and others who are well … just L1 ? 

In my opinion it is largely the coaching, probably with a smidgeon of the players losing heart because they know they are being asked to do what doesn't work. The last time we saw the fans turning against him was after the Stevenage, Cheltenham and Port Vale debacles, and suddenly we started to include playing the ball near to ground level, and including some of the midfield players, and all of a sudden we were on that good run of results. But gradually we wormed our way back to "lump it and cross it" and the run came to an end. Then dial in the fact that Warne is chopping and changing the team all the team to try and not lose against whoever we happen to playing at the time, leaving the players not having a clue what they are supposed to be doing, especially as he changes the formation several time in a single match. And the players are unable to build up an understanding of how their team mates play, which then contributes to the poor passing performances. It is one hell of a mess.

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He won four and lost three out of nine league games. He didn’t win an away league game.

Why is McGoldrick being injured or unfit always used as a shield for Rosenior? We have had so many unfortunate injuries under Warne and no-one seems to sympathise.

For Rosenior, 14 points from 27 points simply wasn’t a compelling audition for the full time role assuming he wanted it.

He is doing a good job at Hull at the moment, but in what way are the circumstances at Hull comparable to ours?

To state the obvious because McGoldrick was by far our best player & leading scorer - Warne had access to him, Rosenior didn't. Despite that, Warne's points per game last season was only marginally better than Rosenior (1.7 PPG v 1.6 PPG) and of course Warne was unable to improve on the 7th position Rosenior left us in. Not exactly compelling either.

12 minutes ago, jono said:

I liked Liam, so positive and wanted us to play batter football but “entertained ?” No way. It was pedestrian sidey backwards over coached caution .. now maybe that was about player ability and not Liams fault ? but the same conclusions with a different style can be applied to Warne. There have been in equal measure some entertaining performances but some flipping dire ones …. like most of last night…... We are so inconsistent it’s painful. Yet on the day I know these lads have it, but we just don’t see it often enough. Is it age or coaching or just flawed old champ players and others who are well … just L1 ? 

I enjoyed all of the games under Rosenior.  It was a million times more entertaining than the dross Warne has served up here.

Also we had about 26 shots away at Fleetwood and couldn't put the ball in the net.  Cautious??? Don't think so.

Edited by Blondest Goat

58 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Really 🤣 How much preparation time did he have 😂 McGoldrick was our talisman last season and hardly played under Liam. To get that team 7th under the circumstances, the same position Warney got us at the end of the season, was good enough in my book 😊