v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

37 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Spot on with your comments and what i look at every game is how many players of the opposition would get in to our starting 11,last night you would argue zero,perhaps Alfie May although he was only a sub for them.

Alfie May and Connor Coventry would get into our first team. I thought Coventry was motm because we allowed him to play. He dictated the game the way we hope Max bird should 

27 minutes ago, Oldben said:

There's a reason he was benched for a very long time in his other clubs plus he has scored a lot of goals for a number of seasons. His injury record in the past hasn't been great.

Those are genuine reasons to have concerns.

It feels more like gayle was a box ticking exercise, we despately needed a striker, he was available as a free agent so no issues with transfer fees or loan payments but equally perhaps not first choice if we had another choice

Yes. Which is why your line of questioning as to if he’s a “bad signing” seems negatively loaded to me. It was circumstantial, potentially avoidably so, but once we needed a striker he was an option and we signed him. Almost by definition it was a box ticking exercise, the box said we need to sign a striker and he was the tick.

I saw enough in his movement briefly on Saturday and last night to see there’s still talent there. If and how Warne and the other players unlock that talent to our benefit as quickly as possible interests me far more than what he did last season or his injury history from Wikipedia or another source. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 minutes ago, unclej said:

Spectators would have a legitimate claim under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for a full refund after last night's performance, for selling licences to an event where the entertainment provided was not of  merchantable quality. 

But they wernt selling entertainment, they were selling a competitive football match between two teams of eleven human beings who with the best will in the world are not and never going to be at the top level of they’re chosen field of employment, maybe the club should knock football on the head and do 90 mins of the rammettes cheer leading and perhaps a short play or some jugglers at half time 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He did well at Bishop's Stortford. 😀

Seriously though, let's not write him off just yet.

I thought Gayle looked promising in the first 20 minutes and was a large reason why we started so brightly. It was nice to have an actual footballer upfront. As much as I like Collins, if he isn't getting his head on something or putting his toe on it then he's a liability outside box. 

Gayle just needs to get a goal to get some confidence and we need to play into his feet as he's processes things very quickly and can bring others into play. 

2 hours ago, SSD said:

Last night unfortunately exposed all of Paul Warne's flaws as a manager. Even before Wildsmith's kamikaze moment, the lack of ball retention after going 1-0 up was appalling. Sunday morning rushing to get the ball forward which caused so many unforced errors. What has the manager got against keeping the ball for 10-15 minutes? I know it's dull and boring, we have got to be smarter in certain games. Charlton were a terrible team and we somehow gifted them a win.

Derby had most of the control in the first half. We got the goal, beautiful header by Cashin and another assist for NML. Came out in the 2nd half and kept giving the ball away by forcing it forward. Charlton's press was very aggressive in the 2nd half. Instead of playing it around Charlton and exposing them, we kept pumping the ball forward. In a game where patience and calm was required, we absolutely fell apart.

Making our lives more difficult sums up this season. Even though we've been accumulating a really healthy points total, it has been a proper slog to get points on the board. I hope this is just a small blip and we will get back to form on Saturday! 

It feels to me that the momentum we had has been sacrificed all for keeping Sonney Bradley at CH in a starting position. It took a new level last night when our best player /prospect was played at left-back.

The style of football is Sunday Morning Burton & District FA circa 1989 (picture of Terry Whyman pops into my mind’s eye) - smash the ball forward/wide quickly and then “lump it” into the box. 

I am even considering not renewing my season ticket after over 10 consecutive seasons, it’s that dire. 

24 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I will be back on Saturday - not for the football, but because my son is off to Spain soon for a holiday where he will catch one of the last ever matches at the San Siro Stadium, so it will be my last chance to see him for a while. Another friend has just had a holiday touring non-league clubs of Bulgaria so at least he will have seen some decent football in recent weeks. Lucy sod!

Are you sure Dave, The San Siro Stadium is in Milan in Italy Fred-Armisen-Confuse-Face-Californians.g

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I thought Gayle looked promising in the first 20 minutes and was a large reason why we started so brightly. It was nice to have an actual footballer upfront. As much as I like Collins, if he isn't getting his head on something or putting his toe on it then he's a liability outside box. 

Gayle just needs to get a goal to get some confidence and we need to play into his feet as he's processes things very quickly and can bring others into play. 

I was actually surprised how good he was on the ball.  I was half expecting him to just be a goal poacher, that stood in the box waiting for a pass that never came, but his link up play was pretty good.

17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It feels to me that the momentum we had has been sacrificed all for keeping Sonney Bradley at CH in a starting position. It took a new level last night when our best player /prospect was played at left-back.

The style of football is Sunday Morning Burton & District FA circa 1989 (picture of Terry Whyman pops into my mind’s eye) - smash the ball forward/wide quickly and then “lump it” into the box. 

I am even considering not renewing my season ticket after over 10 consecutive seasons, it’s that dire. 

How about Gayle sits on Bradders shoulders….then he might just have a chance of heading them in…..might work 🤔

That was awful last night and more akin to a ping pong game between two blind men than a game of football.

I don't mind being direct,I don't mind constantly knocking it in from the wings but this game had neither and was basically tedious and boring.

A glimmer of hope was Gayle who showed some of those deft touches and lay offs not seen since Martin left...they were pointless however as none of our other players had the nous to actually put themselves in the region of where one of these lovely lay offs might actually be.

Amongst the others,Smith showed promise and looks far more championship than league 1 and Wilson put a shift in as,bizarrely,he was the main recipient of every pass to the wings instead of Mendez who had a very q game.

I'm a fan of warne,I like him and would still have him over the oft referenced manager who never was the manager Rosenior (whose football was equally tedious,just in a different way)but he needs to sort this out sharpish or we will be dropping like a stone before we know it.

Hard to believe we are second but still talking like this,we should be on a high not dreading the next game against port vale....we need a outstanding result there to put the confidence back into the team and the fans.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How about Gayle sits on Bradders shoulders….then he might just have a chance of heading them in…..might work 🤔

Warney would switch it about so that it would be Sonny on Gayle’s shoulders to justify Warne’s requirement that Sonny becomes the ultimate threat at set-pieces which he knew he would be all along. That’s why he signed him. “Told you”. 

29 minutes ago, cannable said:

Adams has provided much needed midfield steel… but he ain’t it.

Just not good enough on the ball.

Then again, if he was, He'd probably be playing in the upper reaches of the Championship! 🍺

53 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

BIG MISTAKE. ABSOLUTELY HUGE MISTAKE!

Let's start with the ref. I know I always mentioned the match officials, but i don't start with them - until now. Absolutely useless, but completely outdone in uselessness by Derby County. Adams was absolutely clattered 3 times in the opening exchanges without a single one getting a free kick. Some around me in the South Stand that the ref wasn't even looking. I think he was, but he was completely ignoring it. Then Bradley does little more than a bit of arm wresting and hr goes into the book for his first offence. Disgraceful! And that is only the start of it. But his ineptitude had little effect on the result, and lets face it we have overcome the match officials virtually every single match, so last night was no different. In fact it is likely that the match officials now turn up to Derby County matches confident that they haven't got to make bad decisions to screw us over because we do it to ourselves, virtually every match.

And so to the actual football - this shouldn't take long! It was clear as to why Charlton were down at the bottom - the match was obviously "2nd plays 17th". All Charlton brought to the match was hoof it higher in the air than Warne Ball, and kick lumps out of the Derby  players. OH, and it seemed as though they had brought the ref as well!

I suppose that I should have gone home delighted because we saw, perhaps for the first time in history, a Cashin header on target from a corner! But less than 5 minutes after scoring someone near me in the South Stand said "We're sitting back on a 1-nil lead already! - and we were! 

The game appeared to turn on the penalty. I wrongly thought that given this was the ref who reed carded Sibley last season for being fouled that it shouldn't have been a penalty, but by then, I actually didn't care, and noted that their were no protests from our own players. But the match actually turned on Warne's decision to go to a back 3. I have a feeling that this may have happened before during our illustrious history! Why oh why oh why oh why oh why does he keep doing this? And why oh why oh why oh why oh why does he never see that it never, ever works?

A major contribution to our lack of control in midfield is embodied by the Saviour of Derby County, the one and only Sonny Bradley. Virtually every time he got to intercept a high ball, of which there were millions, despite virtually always having the time to take the ball down and control it, he simply headed the ball up in an arc either to a Charlton player, or to a great big gaping whole in the middle of the pitch where our midfielders ought to be, like one of Conor Hourihane's constructive, play-making passes.

I listened to Paul Warne's RD interview, and he spoke of us never really playing well all season, and that we do have another gear to go up to, but which we never do, as though it is solely down to the players. And he still thins that going to 3 at the back is a brilliant tactical statement of genius. I also listened to  Smith give his thoughts, and sadly he comes across mentally as an absolute loser, effectively admitting that there is a culture of sitting back for the rest of the match as soon as we have scored. Heaven help us!

I will be back on Saturday - not for the football, but because my son is off to Spain soon for a holiday where he will catch one of the last ever matches at the San Siro Stadium, so it will be my last chance to see him for a while. Another friend has just had a holiday touring non-league clubs of Bulgaria so at least he will have seen some decent football in recent weeks. Lucy sod!

You need to tell your son that the San Siro isn't in Spain Dave, but I agree with your other comments!

6 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Home form is average at best.

This has been the most remarkable stat, almost unheard of. Season overall, hardly any home advantage (home +30.5 chances away +27). Last 19 games, similar opponents, an actual hindrance (home +7.5 away +22.5)! Pressure, pitch, opposition setup or what?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

But they wernt selling entertainment, they were selling a competitive football match between two teams of eleven human beings who with the best will in the world are not and never going to be at the top level of they’re chosen field of employment, maybe the club should knock football on the head and do 90 mins of the rammettes cheer leading and perhaps a short play or some jugglers at half time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, we did have a ball juggler at half time to entertain us. 

Trapped the ball better than most of our players! 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Worth considering 😊