Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

If we get there  the players WILL have deserved it. Anyway surely top 2 is still our target

It isn’t whether the players deserve to get there, its whether they deserve our support. 

I don’t fancy spending £200+ on an 18 hour day in order to collect a huge bagful of yet more disappointment. It took Warne several weeks to start communicating with the fans when we showed our frustration after the Stevenage matches, then he blathers on about how our backing really boosts the players who then repay us with dross like today.

If the fans who are in work did their day jobs like he and the players are doing theirs, the fans would be out of work in no time. So whole the fans struggle to pay their bills, Warne and the players continue to shuffle around half-heartedly on their way to becoming millionaires, if they aren’t there already.

The frustration is knowing that we are good enough to be sitting clear of Portsmouth if only Warne would let us.

This is the most negative I’ve been, and I was a Ram during the John Newman years, and the Tommy Docherty years.

GIVE YOURSELF A WOBBLE, WARNE AND LET THE BOYS PLAY FOOTBALL.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

If we don't get promoted, Warne should go. Can't really see any justification as to why we would keep him on in that instance.

Look, I’ll preface this by saying I originally wanted us to keep Rosenior and, if we don’t go up, I’d be interested in a new manager with a more attacking style of play. I also may be playing devil’s advocate a bit… but I can see why Clowes would keep Warne

You’re blowing valuable cash to sack a manager and his team when we’re primed to actually spend a decent wedge of money on the squad for the first time in years.

He’s still technically only had one full season and will have an opportunity to make the squad his own. He inherited Rosenior’s team so you could argue he deserves a chance with a squad that will be almost entirely his - Hourihane really isn’t a Warne player for example but Ebou Adams fits like a glove.

The playing staff may well want him to stay, can’t say for certain that Warne’s popular but they seem to be well motivated and getting results

He has been promoted multiple times before, we’ve improved on last season, we’re in automatics contention this year - who’s to say next year wouldn’t be the year we win the whole thing by ten points?

Also, if you sack him, he’ll be rocking up to Pride Park next season with Rotherham and all the evidence says they’ll be a serious promotion contender. If I’m Clowes, I’d have the worst case scenario in my head of watching Warne get promoted again while we waste a year trying to implement a new, more attractive playing style to satisfy the fans (who will then piss and moan about us passing it around the back)

Like I said, I’m not sold on Warne but I’m prepared for another season if it happens.

The fanbase loudly rejecting another year of “Warneball” in the fallout of this season is what would get him the sack imo there’s lots of reasons to stick with him

1 hour ago, MaltRam said:

Well, bugger.

A poor game between two sides who barely mustered an attractive passage of play between them. Two soft goals from corners and a decent strike from a bloke given acres of space and all the time in the world to pick his spot.

A lot of huff and puff from us but so many flunked passes and moves stillborn through a lack of care.

Bolton did us a favour. Please, please let's get back to 433 on Tuesday.

I think that’s the point when everyone gets pro or anti Warne. .. The poor passes, the missed opportunities. Is that really a lousy manager or coaching ethic ? Or is it just ability mixed with a rough day ?

Anyway, tough game, got nothing, probably deserved a point, didn’t get one, neither did Bolton. That’s football. … need 3 next game. Not much else to say except Bradley has shed his whipping boy mantle, which poor effer is next I wonder ?

34 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

a) I don’t fancy spending £200+ on an 18 hour day in order to collect a huge bagful of yet more disappointment.

b) If the fans who are in work did their day jobs like he and the players are doing theirs, the fans would be out of work in no time.

c) This is the most negative I’ve been.

a) Attending football matches is not compulsory. If you don’t enjoy it, perhaps try doing something else on a Saturday afternoon. I promise you, you won’t be missed.

b) This is utter nonsense. We are second in the League. Any fan who works as part of a team that is second best out of 24 is not losing their job. They are probably getting a large bonus. The job of the players is to get us promotion. They may or may not achieve it, but they are on track so far.

c) May I ask what you were expecting for this season?? Win most games 5-0 and cruise to promotion?? We have only been promoted automatically once in the last 37 years, and now we have a great chance to make it twice. Two more away wins would make this our best away season ever. 20 more points from the last 12 games would make this our best season in modern times (in terms of total points and points per game since 3 points for a win; I’m not equating it to winning the entire League). We may not achieve that but goodness me, if this is the most negative you’ve ever been then I don’t know what to tell you. But it’s definitely a you problem, not the problem of the current players, manager and owner.

Edited by DB83

16 minutes ago, DB83 said:

a) Attending football matches is not compulsory. If you don’t enjoy it, perhaps try doing something else on a Saturday afternoon. I promise you, you won’t be missed.

b) This is utter nonsense. We are second in the League. Any fan who works as part of a team that is second best out of 24 is not losing their job. They are probably getting a large bonus. The job of the players is to get us promotion. They may or may not achieve it, but they are on track so far.

c) May I ask what you were expecting for this season?? Win most games 5-0 and cruise to promotion?? We have only been promoted automatically once in the last 37 years, and now we have a great chance to make it twice. Two more away wins would make this our best away season ever. 20 more points from the last 12 games would make this our best season in modern times (in terms of total points and points per game since 3 points for a win; I’m not equating it to winning the entire League). We may not achieve that but goodness me, if this is the most negative you’ve ever been then I don’t know what to tell you. But it’s definitely a you problem, not the problem of the current players, manager and owner.

If 5000 think the same by the summer that 2 million quid will be missed.  You can look forward to another season of sticking plaster strikers restrictions or not.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This, and there was nothing between the teams today. Draw wouldve been fair result 

Very similar to the Stevenage game and several others recently. Going to be a bumpy ride till the end of the season . Most disappointing was the passing by our best midfield players - certainly not Championship level.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If 5000 think the same by the summer that 2 million quid will be missed.  You can look forward to another season of sticking plaster strikers restrictions or not.

If we lose the fans who are “the most negative [they’ve] been” then I think we will have an even better chance of promotion next season.

Edited by DB83

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hourihane decided to drop in as a 4th CB, then far too slow to close the man down when we initially headed clear - it was his man who scored.

I don't recall where Adams at the time. He may have been pulled out towards the RB spot though?

Yep Adams was in the right channel with Bird, both had been tracking runners. 

Sonny Bradley was the only one alive to the situation and he was one of the furthest away so was never going to get there, but at least he tried.

Just now, DB83 said:

If we lose the fans who are “the most negative they’ve been” then I think we will have an even better chance of promotion next season.

if you have 12.000 empty seats in a stadium you could give everyone a megaphone and the atmosphere would be tepid at best.  If it upsets him that much I'd suggest he perhaps cares more than someone who'll sit there and inanely cheer any old s**** because he wants the team to do well. God knows how these wilting flowers would have coped at the old place where you could smell some ones fart when you took a throw in. It matters enough it upsets him. Calling out someone who vents a bit of disappointment because it matters with" you won't be missed" is the sort of vacuous I'm a bigger fan than you twaddle I detest.

Ask the chairman if he'd be happy to lose 2 million quid on his gate receipts in lieu of some fan frustration.  

5 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Thought warne hit the nail on the head with his post match comments. Gave away possession far too much and their pressing was very effective.

We were well in the game and individual errors, switching off at set pieces cost us. There was hardly anything in the game, draw would have been a fair reflection of the game but fair play to Barnsley they got over the line. Too many players off it for us, some not helped by having to be played out of position (Mendez-Laing). Bird off it, Wilson really poor until he came alive last 20 mins when freed of his defensive duties, Adams is a brilliant destroyer in midfield but poor with the ball. Not having a striker has hurt us in these two games, seen enough of Gayle to think he’ll get goals, if Mendez clips that ball into Gayle coming in from the left instead of shooting Gayle scores, Mendez cut in at the end instead of using Wilson on overlap, poor decision. 

Two very winnable home games now, time for us fans to play our part again like we did against Stevenage. 

Still think we can get this done and over the line and enjoy a proper rebuild in the summer free of restrictions.

He's finally noticed has he?  Taken him long enough.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

if you have 12.000 empty seats in a stadium you could give everyone a megaphone and the atmosphere would be tepid at best.  If it upsets him that much I'd suggest he perhaps cares more than someone who'll sit there and inanely cheer any old s**** because he wants the team to do well. God knows how these wilting flowers would have coped at the old place where you could smell some ones fart when you took a throw in. It matters enough it upsets him. Calling out someone who vents a bit of disappointment because it matters with" you won't be missed" is the sort of vacuous I'm a bigger fan than you twaddle I detest.

Ask the chairman if he'd be happy to lose 2 million quid on his gate receipts in lieu of some fan frustration.  

We are second in the league with a great chance of automatic promotion. Fans who are going to spend the remaining matches slating our players and calling for the manager to be fired are not welcome at Pride Park for the rest of the season as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather have a crowd of 15,000 that is wholly supportive than a crowd of 27,000 where 12,000 (your figure) are actively hoping for us to lose so that they have another chance to boo the team and manager off at the end of the game.

Edited by DB83

Abroad so was only able to watch the second half with no sound on. The game looked frantic with frequent turnovers of possession and some awful passing straight out of play. We looked to get into a few good positions but the final delivery was lacking (Wilson never picked a player out as far as I can remember and generally took an age to get a cross in). 
Last 10 mins we seemed to have more possession. Could have been that Barnsley stopped pressing and decided to defend their lead. However, what was disappointing was that we still kept on trying to play the same way. Long diagonals, or out to the wing as quick as possible to cross it. I would have liked us to try and go through the middle more and hope to slip a pass into Gayle. But unfortunately, we remained v predictable, an accusation that has been levelled for most of the season. 

Other results went our way so I just hope the players manage to put this one behind them. 

59 minutes ago, DB83 said:

We are second in the league with a great chance of automatic promotion. Fans who are going to spend the remaining matches slating our players and calling for the manager to be fired are not welcome at Pride Park for the rest of the season as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather have a crowd of 15,000 that is wholly supportive than a crowd of 27,000 where 12,000 (your figure) are actively hoping for us to lose so that they have another chance to boo the team and manager off at the end of the game.

Pathetic 

Not liking the football we play and wanting us to lose are 2 massively different things.

Once again, any criticism is faced with strawman arguments 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Pathetic 

Not liking the football we play and wanting us to lose are 2 massively different things.

Once again, any criticism is faced with strawman arguments 

No. I don’t love how we play this season. But, it is effective. We are the second best team so far. So far. I hope we will still be second best at the end of the season. If not, let’s assess how we can be better going forward. But how does your negativity assist the team at this stage?? We ain’t sacking Warne, so forget it. Try being supportive instead. Bolton and Barnsley are laughing at the prospect of us sacking Warne. Stop playing into their hands.

1 hour ago, DB83 said:

No. I don’t love how we play this season. But, it is effective. We are the second best team so far. So far. I hope we will still be second best at the end of the season. If not, let’s assess how we can be better going forward. But how does your negativity assist the team at this stage?? We ain’t sacking Warne, so forget it. Try being supportive instead. Bolton and Barnsley are laughing at the prospect of us sacking Warne. Stop playing into their hands.

Good Lord. How is people moaning on here about the style of play affect the team 

I get behind them at games, it doesn't mean I should submit North Korean like.