Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

I went yesterday and wasn't too disappointed. I've not read through the thread so sorry if this is repeating what others have said. I thought we lacked a focal point and this challenged our attacking menace. However, once we got our 1st we easily could have had a 2nd in the next 5 mins. I think if we'd have gotten that we'd have won easily in the end. Midfield wise Adams was class with Bird and Hourihane not having great games. Bird's passing especially was pretty poor as was his decision-making when he did get forward. Gayle once he gets some service and minutes will bag goals in this division easily. Even though he was offside for the chance towards the end the way he peeled off their defence was great. 

I did question our pressing. Their big CB didn't know what to do with the ball and could not clearly pass or control it but instead of putting Laing on him to harass him into making errors we just kept off him until someone eventually broke our marking and he had an easy 5 yard pass on. It was quite infuriating to see this pattern in the second half.  We ran out of steam around the 70-minute mark and it showed. 

If we get these lot in the playoffs I fancy our chances tbh. I thought they looked really poor overall and don't have the players for the game they play. Another day we win that game 2 or 3-0 i think and at home we'll batter them.  Usually, I'm down about Warne and quite critical. Yesterday, we did shoot ourselves in the foot but if that's who are our biggest challengers we should come out on top in the long run. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

6 minutes ago, vonwright said:

"Be brave" isn't a particularly useful tactical instruction, is it? If it's supposed to mean 'Get your head up and look for a forward pass' then you have to set your team up to give the player those options. And then make sure you don't give them contrary instructions.

It's a perfectly reasonable instruction. It means "don't be afraid if some fans criticise you for playing a risky pass if success would create an opportunity". In both the instances highlighted, I'm sure Bird and Hourihane could see the same positive passes that I and others could, but they chose the safe option. 

I don't think it's Warne who has created the fear that prevents players trying things. I'll leave you to work out who might be to blame.....

2 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I went yesterday and wasn't too disappointed. I've not read through the thread so sorry if this is repeating what others have said. I thought we lacked a focal point and this challenged our attacking menace. However, once we got our 1st we easily could have had a 2nd in the next 5 mins. I think if we'd have gotten that we'd have won easily in the end. Midfield wise Adams was class with Bird and Hourihane not having great games. Bird's passing especially was pretty poor as was his decision-making when he did get forward. Gayle once he gets some service and minutes will bag goals in this division easily. Even though he was offside for the chance towards the end the way he peeled off their defence was great. 

I did question our pressing. Their big CB didn't know what to do with the ball and could not clearly pass or control it but instead of putting Laing on him to harass him into making errors we just kept off him until someone eventually broke our marking and he had an easy 5 yard pass on. It was quite infuriating to see this pattern in the second half.  We ran out of steam around the 70-minute mark and it showed. 

If we get these lot in the playoffs I fancy our chances tbh. I thought they looked really poor overall and don't have the players for the game they play. Another day we win that game 2 or 3-0 i think and at home we'll batter them.  Usually, I'm down about Warne and quite critical. Yesterday, we did shoot ourselves in the foot but if that's who are our biggest challengers we should come out on top in the long run. 

Best post I've seen on this thread 👏🏻

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I thought the same about their CB. He’s clearly not a gifted ball player and is there primarily to head and clear the ball. We were content to let him have the ball, aware that he wasn’t going to play a dangerous ball forward. But by not pressing him we simply allowed him to play a simple ball to someone else with more ability.

Very fine margins. I’m not sure we’d batter them at home but I wouldn’t fear them in the play offs.

Two key admissions by Warne that both contribute to weakening our offensive play: that we lacked a focal point and the initial shape was wrong.

So, I'm hoping he addresses both. Firstly, we need yo stop the no striker experiment immediately.  We need Brown back purely to be a back up focal point. Neither Gayle nor Waggy can do 90 and it will take weeks before they can, if it all.  Therefore, Brown, whatever his current readiness, is required to ensure we have enough options to maintain a focal point.

Secondly, 4 at the back has to be our starting formation from now on. This allows CBT, NML, Barks and Wilson to rotate in their best positions.

Warne admits he has been caught between defensive or attacking advantages of the formation, but surely now it is clear that 3 at the back creates more problems than this, our overall play is far more suited to four at the back, too many players suffer as a result.

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Two key admissions by Warne that both contribute to weakening our offensive play: that we lacked a focal point and the initial shape was wrong.

So, I'm hoping he addresses both. Firstly, we need yo stop the no striker experiment immediately.  We need Brown back purely to be a back up focal point. Neither Gayle nor Waggy can do 90 and it will take weeks before they can, if it all.  Therefore, Brown, whatever his current readiness, is required to ensure we have enough options to maintain a focal point.

Secondly, 4 at the back has to be our starting formation from now on. This allows CBT, NML, Barks and Wilson to rotate in their best positions.

Warne admits he has been caught between defensive or attacking advantages of the formation, but surely now it is clear that 3 at the back creates more problems than this, our overall play is far more suited to four at the back, too many players suffer as a result.

Agree with 4 at the back.

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yeah totally agree with him, as do a lot of people. Far more than you would expect when a team is second in the table

I think part of the problem for me is that even if we do get out of this league we’ll be looking to move Paul on if not at the start of the season then part way through. Which then means we’ll be trying to quickly adapt to a new coaches ideas, recruit to suit their style and trying ensuring we stay in the league.

Warnes not for us if we do get up, his style doesn’t work in the championship and he won’t change it. 

I understand why Paul was appointed but for me I’d rather have found a manager that plays a more passing based 433/4231 style. Someone who would have focused on a more long term identity than a style which is solely designed to get you out of league 1.

Maybe young manager, eloquent, handsome, with ancestry from Sierra Leone 😄

1 minute ago, 8Leeds said:

I think part of the problem for me is that even if we do get out of this league we’ll be looking to move Paul on if not at the start of the season then part way through. Which then means we’ll be trying to quickly adapt to a new coaches ideas, recruit to suit their style and trying ensuring we stay in the league.

Warnes not for us if we do get up, his style doesn’t work in the championship and he won’t change it. 

I understand why Paul was appointed but for me I’d rather have found a manager that plays a more passing based 433/4231 style. Someone who would have focused on a more long term identity than a style which is solely designed to get you out of league 1.

Maybe young manager, eloquent, handsome, with ancestry from Sierra Leone 😄

Yep, be good to get someone in the McKenna or Liam mould 😊

8 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Sloppy defending in the box cost us yesterday. 

Warne would be angry about the Barnsley winner . Collins has done a good job all season on defending the near-post at corners . We have 4 small strikers who are injury prone and like to play off a big man . We can see why Smith was top of our wanted list .

Was really impressed with there midfield 2 yesterday ahead of Connell, Herbie Kane and the brace getter Adam Phillips. I’d love to take Herbie Kane in the summer who’s out of contract, he gets about the pitch and consistently gets goals from midfield. Even though he doesn’t look it he’s also only 25. 

Could be a great bird replacement.

4 hours ago, Chellaston Ram said:

There’s a group of 6 of us that have season tickets and 4 of them are waiting towards the end of April to see whether there is the likelihood of championship football next season as they have had enough of being bored most home games. I have a feeling alot more people will feel the same. It’s the time of season when it’s a results business but crap football week in week out is only acceptable if you’re winning 

Personally don’t get that , the championship is not some massive upgrade in my eyes in terms of being bored at home games , watching my team compete is what it all about for me but each to they’re own 

Well watched it on rtv as away on holiday , narrow loss away from home against an in form promotion rival with both sides guilty of giving the ball away cheaply and poor decision making or final ball in attack , the game was edged by one bit of quality in theyre goal , very often in these games it’s us with a bit of quality, disappointed but not disheartened,

angie is right though , these match threads are just warne out posting areas and perhaps mods need to look at that , im certainly finding that rather than devouring every post in the match day thread as I used to im getting a couple of lines into most and just scrolling on to the next , it’s the same old over and over again and all to often very little to do with the game the topic is supposed to be about but just a list of past and future reasons the manager in posters minds is not acceptable for derby county ,

I know one thing for sure , if I was warne and read this forum I would be thinking duck this club ,im off 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well watched it on rtv as away on holiday , narrow loss away from home against an in form promotion rival with both sides guilty of giving the ball away cheaply and poor decision making or final ball in attack , the game was edged by one bit of quality in theyre goal , very often in these games it’s us with a bit of quality, disappointed but not disheartened,

angie is right though , these match threads are just warne out posting areas and perhaps mods need to look at that , im certainly finding that rather than devouring every post in the match day thread as I used to im getting a couple of lines into most and just scrolling on to the next , it’s the same old over and over again and all to often very little to do with the game the topic is supposed to be about but just a list of past and future reasons the manager in posters minds is not acceptable for derby county ,

I know one thing for sure , if I was warne and read this forum I would be thinking duck this club ,im off 🤷🏻‍♂️

How on earth can you talk about the match without mentioning the manager? Do you say that when we've won! 😄

12 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Aside from the actual game, it's the second year running that their stadium announcer has had to issue a warning to their fans about racist and homophobic language. Perhaps it's time they closed that stand until their ignorant peasantry can learn how to join the 21st century.

So it's not ok to mock someone for their skin colour or sexuality but ok to mock them for their weight, have I got this right? (not expressing an opinion just curious)

3 minutes ago, ap04 said:

So it's not ok to mock someone for their skin colour or sexuality but ok to mock them for their weight, have I got this right? (not expressing an opinion just curious)

Well, the first two examples are illegal, whilst the third isn't yet as far as I'm aware.

You might want to check with a criminal lawyer though, if there are any among your Forest mates 

10 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Theoretically its not “ok to mock” anyone for anything, but there’s legislation covering the two examples quoted which is probably why the stadium announcements were made and why inclusion is important at football.

Someone’s weight isn’t currently a protected characteristic in relation to the Equality Act but Race and Sexual Orientation are.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram