Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Just got back from the game, disappointing result with quite a few below par performances, but still more than deserved a point.

Their first goal was a good finish, but we couldn't have set him up any better for it and this was shortly after we had a great chance to go 2 up. Our passing at times was atrocious, simple passes under no pressure, not reaching their target and some of them in potential good attacking positions.

Hopefully, this won't be the start to a nervy end of the season run in, we're going to need a set of players capable of coping with the pressure.

Well, bugger.

A poor game between two sides who barely mustered an attractive passage of play between them. Two soft goals from corners and a decent strike from a bloke given acres of space and all the time in the world to pick his spot.

A lot of huff and puff from us but so many flunked passes and moves stillborn through a lack of care.

Bolton did us a favour. Please, please let's get back to 433 on Tuesday.

Edited by MaltRam

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Despite this, we more than matched them for attempts on goal, but they scored a great goal from a clearance, where was the defensive midfield? 

Hourihane decided to drop in as a 4th CB, then far too slow to close the man down when we initially headed clear - it was his man who scored.

I don't recall where Adams at the time. He may have been pulled out towards the RB spot though?

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

This isn’t true though. A win against a direct rival is much more valuable than a win against the cannon fodder lower down as you guarantee a rival gets 0 points. 

You mean if we'd won today we'd have been 3 points clear of Barnsley plus goal difference and goal difference ahead of Bolton even if they won their games in hand.  No, we can't have that kind of thinking.  

I’m constantly surprised by the number of people on here who seem to be expecting and indeed demanding that we cruise to promotion. It very rarely happens; even Leicester are no longer cruising to promotion this season. We’ve only managed automatic promotion once in 37 years, and we’ve recently been at probably the lowest ebb in our history. It would have been nice to win today, but guess what, the teams in first and third place didn’t win either. We still are in with a good chance.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hourihane decided to drop in as a 4th CB, then far too slow to close the man down when we initially headed clear - it was his man who scored.

I don't recall where Adams at the time. He may have been pulled out towards the RB spot though?

Passing the ball to their winger to create the chance in the first place.

23 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Don't think anyone is calling for Warne to be sacked now,it's too late,we have to go with with him for now.i for one don't want another season with him in charge promotion or not

If you go through the thread, there’s a flurry of “Warne Outs” around the final whistle

You can’t sack him if he gets us promoted and I can’t believe there’s people who honestly are suggesting that - I’m sure top quality managers would be flocking to manage a club that sacks managers that get them promoted!

If we don’t go up, I think there’s a serious conversation to be had whether we should go in a different direction but don’t be surprised if Clowes backs Warne again.

The to-and-fro about Warne feels increasingly pointless. Our strengths and weaknesses - and his - are clear, in our wins and our losses. Nothing much is likely to change before the end of the season. Why argue? Consistent results, one way or the other, are the only thing that will make anyone change their mind. 

For me? There will be more of the same. This is how we play. So these are the games, and results, we can expect. I'm not convinced having Collins (or Washington, or Waghorn) available would have made the slightest difference. 

Feels like the Billy Davies season, although then at least you had a sense of what he was trying to achieve. It all felt a bit more... coherent. 

Anyway. Could still happen, with a decent slice of luck. (Which is exactly the problem.)

Edited by vonwright

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

If you go through the thread, there’s a flurry of “Warne Outs” around the final whistle

You can’t sack him if he gets us promoted and I can’t believe there’s people who honestly are suggesting that - I’m sure top quality managers would be flocking to manage a club that sacks managers that get them promoted!

If we don’t go up, I think there’s a serious conversation to be had whether we should go in a different direction but don’t be surprised if Clowes backs Warne again.

If we don't get promoted, Warne should go. Can't really see any justification as to why we would keep him on in that instance.

36 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Did you get a picture @angieram? Saw lots of people having their pictures taken with them at half time! Fair play to them for watching with the fans.

No, thought I'd leave them in peace to enjoy the game. Kids around us were very excited, more their thing than mine.

Some of the adults though, embarrassing! 

4 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Doesn't matter who we play week in week out the opposition move the ball much better than we do.  I know passing isn't the be all and end all but we make getting up the pitch look such hard work.  I just want to watch us get the ball down and play some nice football for once.  If you do that more often than not you will win.

We usually do when we do it, even if it is just a iccle, iccle bit.

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Draws best result for us. 

Wouldn’t have Bolton getting a win on Tuesday down as a banker though, so we need to capitalise if they don’t.

Sorry mate, you’ve got me with that one.