Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

17 minutes ago, ap04 said:

So it's not ok to mock someone for their skin colour or sexuality but ok to mock them for their weight, have I got this right? (not expressing an opinion just curious)

Christ! You're a grown up, but you really need that explaining to you? 

27 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well watched it on rtv as away on holiday , narrow loss away from home against an in form promotion rival with both sides guilty of giving the ball away cheaply and poor decision making or final ball in attack , the game was edged by one bit of quality in theyre goal , very often in these games it’s us with a bit of quality, disappointed but not disheartened,

angie is right though , these match threads are just warne out posting areas and perhaps mods need to look at that , im certainly finding that rather than devouring every post in the match day thread as I used to im getting a couple of lines into most and just scrolling on to the next , it’s the same old over and over again and all to often very little to do with the game the topic is supposed to be about but just a list of past and future reasons the manager in posters minds is not acceptable for derby county ,

I know one thing for sure , if I was warne and read this forum I would be thinking duck this club ,im off 🤷🏻‍♂️

On your last line, lets hope so. As it is someone has clearly told him to try and make friends with the fans hence the very obvious coming out before games and applauding stuff. He virtually did a tour of the stadium last home game. Maybe someone thinks that will go down better than sarcastic remarks 

32 minutes ago, ap04 said:

So it's not ok to mock someone for their skin colour or sexuality but ok to mock them for their weight, have I got this right? (not expressing an opinion just curious)

Somebody’s BMI doesn’t appear in the 9 protected characteristics written in law. 

Spent yesterday in London with my family over from the States. My uncle is a massive Rams fan and probably played the most influential role in my fandom alongside his dad, my maternal Grandfather, who was at Wembley in 1946.
He and I made our excuses and legged it back to his hotel in time to watch on Ramstv just as the game kicked off.

I thought it was a good game for the neutral with both teams open at the back. Barnsley didn’t strike me as anything special and think we lost yesterday due to too many of our lads having an off day. Wildsmith and Cashin didn’t seem as composed as normal at the back, Hourihane and Bird were largely ineffective, Wilson, NML and Sibley showed plenty of endeavour but no real composure. I think we missed a striker and we couldn’t seem to string any passes together. 

Their first was well struck but came from a poor ish defensive header and a lack of closing down which allowed him time to set himself and hit it well. The second came from a set piece we are normally solid at defending. Plenty of effort to win it in the end but it felt like we didn’t quite have the bounce of the ball and Barnsley defended well with a number of well hit efforts being blocked. Wilson got into so many great positions and then overplayed which was infuriating at the time, hopefully he can get those decisions right in future…just drill the cross in please Kane 🙏 
Disappointed to lose but glad I got to watch it with my uncle, second match I’ve watched with him this season after we made it to Pride Park for the Fleetwood game. Still plenty of points to play for, and players to come back in, onto the next one! 🐏 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We have great crowds every week which rarely drop below 26k (and mostly well above) despite "the football".

If its were going to drop off,it's taking a long time,he's been here nearly two seasons.

The doommongers and anti warne brigade live in their own world on this forum,I'd be surprised if many actually go the games.

To add some context, there have been some very low crowds this season - for the Northampton game there were only circa 14k home supporters in the stadium, and they are figures straight from someone at the club. The announced figures take into account all tickets sold/given away - including staff, ST holders, comps, corporate etc. Therefore technically it's impossible to have a "crowd" less that 22k, but that hasn't always translated into bums in seats.

I've missed two or three games this season but I'm still counted as being there.

As for yesterday, I thought it was a good day out until some moronic Derby fans tried to storm Barnsley station after the game. Reminded me why I drive to games.

20 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

To add some context, there have been some very low crowds this season - for the Northampton game there were only circa 14k home supporters in the stadium, and they are figures straight from someone at the club. The announced figures take into account all tickets sold/given away - including staff, ST holders, comps, corporate etc. Therefore technically it's impossible to have a "crowd" less that 22k, but that hasn't always translated into bums in seats.

I've missed two or three games this season but I'm still counted as being there.

As for yesterday, I thought it was a good day out until some moronic Derby fans tried to storm Barnsley station after the game. Reminded me why I drive to games.

Assuming there were a couple of thousand from Northampton, are you saying the actual crowd was only c16k + freebies? Seriously? I find that very hard to believe unless they give away something like 5000 tickets which sounds like a very high number. Stunning if true. I also thought that it had been determined that the club now only counts actual attendees.

To add, if we have sold 20,000 season tickets, are you suggesting more than 6,000 of them didn't attend the Northampton game?

Edited by Tamworthram

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Checked the game as I thought that was a very low...and they may well be right...lots of empty seats in a very sparse crowd👍

14 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I find this hard to believe. 

Out of a crowd of 24,719, you're claiming that there were only 14k home fans with probably 1,000 or so away fans, so that works out at around 18k empty seats or giveaways? It also means that around 6-7,000 season ticket holders didn't turn up for the game.

The club have previously stated that ticket holder no shows are no longer included in match day attendances.

25 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

We drove but walked back near the station where it was a pretty grim atmosphere….although didn’t see any trouble. 

Couldn’t work out whether policing and stewarding was proportionate to risk of trouble ….or intimidatory.

Big phalanx of stewards near corner flag in second half seemed to be somewhat looking for trouble but individual stewards in the stands were great.🤷

Thought Elder was brilliant yesterday, worked hard, was up and down the pitch. Nice to see him settled and growing in confidence.

Adams was a rock again. Will be gutted when he goes back.

Nice to see Bradley get his goal. Had another rather solid game.

Nyambe is always a calm head. He’s been a great addition.

Gayle showed that if we play to his strengths he’ll be a hand full in this league. Smart player

Nelson as always was solid. Very composed and assured.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Personally don’t get that , the championship is not some massive upgrade in my eyes in terms of being bored at home games , watching my team compete is what it all about for me but each to they’re own 

Not everyone agrees with you Archied….

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Couldn’t work out whether policing and stewarding was proportionate to risk of trouble ….or intimidatory.

For balance the second phase of Rams fans held outside the station main entrance (of which I was one) parted ways to enable a wheelchair user and a female Barnsley fan with her primary-aged son access into the station without any issue. There are a small number of d******** in every fan-base! We commented that the SYP presence generally seemed pretty OTT, and let’s face it they haven’t got a sparkling reputation themselves!

Edited by DiggerB

45 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Checked the game as I thought that was a very low...and they may well be right...lots of empty seats in a very sparse crowd👍

In a 24,000 attendance there would be about 9,000 empty seats, not 19,000.

Most of the empty seats are on the front rows and behind the North Stand goal and corners plus the away end, all in line with the camera angles.

44 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I find this hard to believe. 

Out of a crowd of 24,719, you're claiming that there were only 14k home fans with probably 1,000 or so away fans, so that works out at around 18k empty seats or giveaways? It also means that around 6-7,000 season ticket holders didn't turn up for the game.

The club have previously stated that ticket holder no shows are no longer included in match day attendances.

They are, and yes it came from someone at the club because it was a topic of conversation on a connected but different issue.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

24,719 attendance with 1,339 away fans.

Are you suggesting 9,380 didn’t turn up 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

In a 24,000 attendance there would be about 9,000 empty seats, not 19,000.

Most of the empty seats are on the front rows and behind the North Stand goal and corners plus the away end, all in line with the camera angles.

Well I'm going on @ap04 meta data, Where statistically if you count every empty seat at the bottom of the stands then it equals the same for the seats in the upper stands, Is it luck or is it just poor stats 😁 

14 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Couldn’t work out whether policing and stewarding was proportionate to risk of trouble ….or intimidatory.

For balance the second phase of Rams fans held outside the station main entrance (of which I was one) parted ways to enable a wheelchair user and a female Barnsley fan with her primary-aged son access into the station without any issue. There are a small number of d******** in every fan-base! We commented that the SYP presence generally seemed pretty OTT, and let’s face it they haven’t got a sparkling reputation themselves!

Yes I was in the second wave as well - not initially but I left the first wave as they were forcing through and I didn't want to get caught up in it. As for the police, they sometimes don't help themselves but they are keeping people off the platform to stop overcrowding and potentially someone falling onto the track. It was the right thing to do, though communication of that was rubbish. The station is tiny and you were straight through the door onto the platform. They only started getting difficult with people when people were being difficult. The real problem was a lack of trains between 5.30 and 6, the busiest time at the station!

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Assuming there were a couple of thousand from Northampton, are you saying the actual crowd was only c16k + freebies? Seriously? I find that very hard to believe unless they give away something like 5000 tickets which sounds like a very high number. Stunning if true. I also thought that it had been determined that the club now only counts actual attendees.

To add, if we have sold 20,000 season tickets, are you suggesting more than 6,000 of them didn't attend the Northampton game?

They're the figures that were provided by someone at the club during a discussion, so yes. Lots of talk at the club earlier in the season about ST holders not attending. Not really a problem now.