Paul Warne

Day

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So manager of the month twice in one season,second in the league,best goal difference,fantastic home and away crowds every single week...and yet,the usual suspects think that clowes will sack him 😂

I do wonder just how many of them actually go to games or even watch the on TV rather than just reading the scores at the end of every match and making "decisions" based on that or their sycophants on here.

Clowes wont sack him, and if we go up he deserves a chance at least and i am not a fan of his football. Was not my choice when appointed but as i say if we go up  he deserves his chance, but if we dont im not sure where i stand.

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

What did you want him to say? “We didn’t get in the play offs but that’s OK, we’ll go again next year”?

There aren’t many industries that are cut throat enough (and football is one of the most cut throat) to see an individual sacked for achieving an improvement (in terms of results) in year 2 from year 1 but still narrowly failing to hit a key objective. I know some people will point to what happened to Darren Moore and John Eustace but I don’t think many of us would entirely agree with their sackings.

With 11 games remaining we were 4 points clear of Wycombe and 7 points clear of eventual play off achievers Posh but they both had a game in hand. I wouldn’t describe that as “hugely secure” given there were 33 points still on the table.

I think that the language he used didn’t have to include ‘failure’. 
He could have said we gave ourselves a real chance but in the end we couldn’t quite get over the line. 

I don’t suspect he’ll be gone this summer regardless of what happens. I think he’ll be given a summer unhindered by restrictions and Clowes will reassess during the season. 

it may not have been with 11* games to go then but ultimately we were in a position last season where it would have taken an awful run of form to drop out. That’s what happened.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We’ve had posters saying Rotherham stayed up because Warne left, but forgetting their start and his far better ppg than his successor.  This season they’re down with 23 points so far, worse than any season under Warne (40 in 18/19 and 42 in 20/21 when he was in permanent charge although it was 23 when in interim charge).  It could be said that it’s more to do with the resources available to them than any particular manager.

"Players lose you games, not tactics"

48 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

"Players lose you games, not tactics"

tactics, shape etc are  very important and play a massive part not many managers set up exactly the same every game  

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think that the language he used didn’t have to include ‘failure’. 
He could have said we gave ourselves a real chance but in the end we couldn’t quite get over the line. 

I don’t suspect he’ll be gone this summer regardless of what happens. I think he’ll be given a summer unhindered by restrictions and Clowes will reassess during the season. 

it may not have been with 11* games to go then but ultimately we were in a position last season where it would have taken an awful run of form to drop out. That’s what happened.

So you think he should be sacked for wearing his heart on his sleeve and saying he failed but, if he'd been a little more measured with his response (which I believe was given immediately after we'd just lost the last game of the season) it might be a different story? I don't get that at all and he should be applauded for recognising his part in our failure to get promoted (but not necessarily sacked for saying it).

With regard to our end of season form, our most comfortable position was 9 points clear of Posh but still with 39 point to play for so, I wouldn't count that as "hugely secure".  We did indeed have a bad spell in March (losing 4 out of 5 between 7th March and 1st of April) which, unfortunately, coincided with Peterborough's purple patch. However, those defeats included Plymouth and Ipswich, it was immediately preceded by our own purple patch (that included only 2 defeat in 21 games) and was followed by a run of 6 games without defeat. 

So, if you want to take that Month in isolation, yes we fell away. But, if you look at the bigger picture (including our fantastic run immediately prior and, to an extent, our bounce back afterwards) it wasn't such a mighty decline as you may think. 

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So you think he should be sacked for wearing his heart on his sleeve and saying he failed but, if he'd been a little more measured with his response (which I believe was given immediately after we'd just lost the last game of the season) it might be a different story? I don't get that at all and he should be applauded for recognising his part in our failure to get promoted (but not necessarily sacked for saying it).

With regard to our end of season form, our most comfortable position was 9 points clear of Posh but still with 39 point to play for so, I wouldn't count that as "hugely secure".  We did indeed have a bad spell in March (losing 4 out of 5 between 7th March and 1st of April) which, unfortunately, coincided with Peterborough's purple patch. However, those defeats included Plymouth and Ipswich, it was immediately preceded by our own purple patch (that included only 2 defeat in 21 games) and was followed by a run of 6 games without defeat. 

So, if you want to take that Month in isolation, yes we fell away. But, if you look at the bigger picture (including our fantastic run immediately prior and, to an extent, our bounce back afterwards) it wasn't such a mighty decline as you may think. 

Aside from the occasional one or two, I don’t think anyone on here actually thinks the football club should sack their manager with three games (maybe a few more) to go.

I do think however that there’s a good chunk who don’t want to see another season of his football, even if that season is spent in the division above. 

26 minutes ago, S8TY said:

tactics, shape etc are  very important and play a massive part not many managers set up exactly the same every game  

Of course it's important but ultimately it's the players on the pitch who do the business as the great man once said. You can have the best setup and the best plan in the world but without the players to execute it you have nothing.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Of course it's important but ultimately it's the players on the pitch who do the business as the great man once said. You can have the best setup and the best plan in the world but without the players to execute it you have nothing.

What’s the point of a Manager then?

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Aside from the occasional one or two, I don’t think anyone on here actually thinks the football club should sack their manager with three games (maybe a few more) to go.

I do think however that there’s a good chunk who don’t want to see another season of his football, even if that season is spent in the division above. 

I think you're right. Probably those that believe he should stay or go next season (now that we're guaranteed play offs at least) are fairly evenly split. Even most of those that don't want him around next season would probably concede he's unlikely to be sacked in the summer even if we lose in the play off semi finals..

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Think how many trips to watch Derby play you could have had with that money.

#Be more B4

I'll be watching on RamsTV, there'll be lots of alcohol too. More than necessary to deal with watching the beautiful game as served up by Warne. 😄

Next season will be interesting in more ways than one I'm sure. 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll be watching on RamsTV, there'll be lots of alcohol too. More than necessary to deal with watching the beautiful game as served up by Warne. 😄

Next season will be interesting in more ways than one I'm sure. 

Hope you’re having a nice break Roy . We know how you feel about Warne , who knows , in the future , you could be proved right . But for now let’s all pull together to get out of this god-forsaken league. Those of us in the ground can have a massive influence , let’s raise the roof . 

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes.

Do you think if we get promoted to the Championship we will be using the same players? The ones that have all come through the academy or have been free signings?

I think we use the same tactics.

4 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Clowes wont sack him, and if we go up he deserves a chance at least and i am not a fan of his football. Was not my choice when appointed but as i say if we go up  he deserves his chance, but if we dont im not sure where i stand.

I wasn't sure either,his style wasn't one I particularly fancied although It was clearly effective.

However,Rosenior and his inexperienced was even further down my list.

I've warmed to warm over time,his football is certainly pragmatic but has proved to be effective and he has made a disparate set of players into a close team as well as bringing the rest of the club together which I can't help but admire.

In hindsight he was the perfect choice for clowes rebuilding not just the team but the club and I'm with him on that.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I wasn't sure either,his style wasn't one I particularly fancied although It was clearly effective.

However,Rosenior and his inexperienced was even further down my list.

I've warmed to warm over time,his football is certainly pragmatic but has proved to be effective and he has made a disparate set of players into a close team as well as bringing the rest of the club together which I can't help but admire.

In hindsight he was the perfect choice for clowes rebuilding not just the team but the club and I'm with him on that.

I have supported him this season, because ive been going to long not to support the team and ive seen worse managers here, but if we go up it will be intersting to see how we go on. I personally would have liked a younger manager, but we are where we are. I will be really dissapointed if we dont go up. No beef with clowes though he saved our club and we should all be eternally grateful we can still attend games at pride park🤞🤞

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Hope you’re having a nice break Roy . We know how you feel about Warne , who knows , in the future , you could be proved right . But for now let’s all pull together to get out of this god-forsaken league. Those of us in the ground can have a massive influence , let’s raise the roof . 

I think the one certainty is that eventually RM5 will be right! 😆

13 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

In fairness and unlike some, you've been entirely consistent in your observations over the course of the season, but taking Wycombe as an example, what was wrong with the team selection? Was it not another occasion where he actually got it right, which I concede, he hasn't always, but was let down by a forward line who lacked composure?

Difficult for me to say C86. I have not watched many of our performances of late, other than highlights, but notwithstanding I wouldn’t hold Paul Warne to account for any specific game in isolation, whether it Wycombe (A), Northampton (A), or Charlton (H). All 3 of them poor performances recently, with vital points lost, when a win could have created real pressure on teams around us.

I think he had really limited options on Wednesday, but part of that I feel is because he ‘breaks’ players. How many players have we had on the treatment table this season with niggling injuries to soft tissue, hamstrings, calf pulls, etc.  He works players too hard in my opinion, prioritising stamina and athleticism over ball retention and passing finesse. Fortunately we have a good, deep squad funded by Clowes, because we need it to cover for the number of injuries that are being sustained. Didn’t I read that he was saying on Tuesday how the players didn’t look right, and how some were jaded on Wednesday evening. I wonder whether he ever thinks it’s because he wears them out with his demands.

I am not a fan of his ‘tactics’ either - conceding midfield and hitting the ball quickly to the wings to get crosses in is ok, if we had a really decent (old fashioned) centre forward to get his head on most of the crosses, and if it wasn’t our only actual tactic (other than loading up at free kicks and corners). Seems to me that when the tactic isn’t working that we just try to do more of the same, but more quickly, with our players treating the football like it’s a hot potato.

In answer to @G STAR RAMand @YorkshireRam being second, per se, is not the problem, and he may well get us up. If he does it would be churlish for me not to say well done, you did your job. The players too. However, he disappoints me as I think we have the best squad overall in the league, and that the league is at its lowest quality for years. When I say in spite of Warne, I mean that I think a decent coach could have got this squad promoted by now, keeping the players fit through better rotation and the use of a few younger lads near the end of games, and playing a better brand of football suiting better the skill set of a number of our players. Rather than having a nail biting finish, we could and should be well clear of the third place team in my opinion.

And that is all it is, my opinion. Not concerned a jot if someone, or everyone, doesn’t agree with it, or doesn’t understand it. Equally I don’t feel the need to strongly debate it either. As you say I have been pretty consistent with my opinion on him since he joined, and I haven’t seen much over the last 18 months that that changes my viewpoint.