Paul Warne

Day

43 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

We’ve been in the championship barring the last two seasons since 2008. And before that (barring the fateful season in the prem) in the championship since 2002. 

How many managers have we had in this time and how many millions have we wasted. Warne delivered promotion and is the first manager since Billy in 2007. I think some fans are a bit deluded with their expectations 

And the massive caveat that the promotion was from League One isn't important at all?

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Perhaps let’s give it more than one game at this level before we decide that Warne’s ideas and tactics are on the road to nowhere.

How can we talk about long term foundations when we are two years removed from financial ruin and being on the brink as a club? How can we talk about the long term when most Championship managers spend less than 18 months in their positions?

Long term planning and long term strategising is so much easier to do from a position of strength and a position of continuity. We are only just starting to find our feet and we are still going to experience a degree of change next summer as up to 12 first team players may leave and Warne may too.

Long term thinking and planning - whether that be signings or infrastructure - tends to cost money and at this time we only have a limited budget. 

I am sure we would love to have a philosophy running through the club, a conveyor belt of Academy players breaking through, exciting young players coming in rather than depending on free transfers like Osborn and Jackson.

I just don’t think we are ready financially or in terms of infrastructure to achieve that. I think Warne and Clowes are trying to find a good, crowd pleasing balance but they still need time at the end of the day.

Tactics on the pitch cost nothing.

53 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

And the massive caveat that the promotion was from League One isn't important at all?

Yes it is, but the budget and situation around the club is also important. 

Winning promotion in League One with Derby under EFL restrictions, two year’s removed from administration is impressive. I actually think the work he did with Rotherham was more impressive considering how restrictive the budget he actually had was when you analyse the accounts on companies house. If you have a third/fourth of budget of teams around you, the expectation can’t be to survive. The hope can, of course, but not the expectation. The ability to pick the club or and rebuild for three promotions is phenomenal. 

The expectation here is to survive this season, there’s no way he’s here next season without doing that. I’ve always made the point that as a manager he’s achieved or superseded expectation every time he’s had a full season at a club. The list of managers who can say that is incredibly small - especially after 8 years in the game. 

Another good performance, against Chesterfield at home tonight, we bossed the game and created some nice moves and good chances.

Just a little blip when Sonny played an over hit pass to Liam in a dangerous area on the pitch, causing the breakdown and giving Chesterfield the ball that led to their goal. 

Other than that a good result, a lot of players featured and we move on to the next.

I can’t be bothered reading the match thread as the usual folk will say the same usual things looking to cause damage when it’s not justified or required.

Well done Paul Warne.

On 13/08/2024 at 06:07, Inverurie Ram said:

“Substitute your lies for fact
I can see that he’s bringing us back
I look all white, but my dad was black
My fine looking dude is far too good for the sack

… Iove Paul Warne with a fantastic tune in my mouth”……….

D.C.F.C. Life, Love & Unity 🐏

Love Paul Warne 🖤

Who?

7 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Some people probably thought we bossed the game on Friday I suspect and if we win a few corners against Boro it will be a good performance and eveyone should get a caramel donut from birds for their efforts.

Think it's impossible to ''boss' a game when you concede 4 isn't it?

(fwiw I think this is a bit of a strawman argument cos i've not seen anyone praise Friday's performance, just some state it was less bad than others)

Guess we will see at the end of the window, but it does seem like he’s being dealt a bit of a crap hand. We can debate whose fault that is but ultimately, the budget doesn’t look as competitive as was said.

With seemingly just a couple of loans after we sign the keeper, we’ve ended up signing Adams, Osborn, Jackson, Kenzo and, hopefully, Zetterstrom permanently. 2 of them are 30+ and really only 2 with potential resale, with one of those being a goalkeeper where you can get away with older players anyway. You could potentially count CBT on top if you want, but we knew he was permanent in January, so I’m not including him in summer business.

Guess I’m just a tad disappointed we haven’t signed more permanent outfield players in that 21-27 bracket which we can use for a while and will still get value. Budget clearly not allowing for it.

With just Yates banned and  CBT injured we’ve looked so light in forward areas already. Against Blackburn we only had Collins and Brown as attacking options with no wingers at all on the bench, last night we had options on the bench but only Brown and Barkhuizen were attackers in the starting line up. That’s not great. 

All in all, I’m not particularly blaming Warne, but it’s just not an ideal situation for anyone. 

Yeah, it must be frustrating for PW that he has got us into the promised land of the championship and yet our squad isn’t much stronger than last season.

The keeper is potentially exciting, Goudmijn is like Princess Kate at a car boot sale. 

Ozoh has potential but needs to build his confidence so he’s bossing games, not reacting all the time.

We’re no closer to finding the goal scorer(s) we need and are a bit boring to watch but these things take time.

If we could get Wiredu, Maghoma and Woodrow as speculated, that would certainly help. Still think we need an attacking LB and a clever midfield player to bolster our options.

We shouldn’t be starting with any of Collins, Brown, Washington or Barkhuisen at this level.

Management is tricky! You have to try to bed in new players and sometimes you’ll realise they aren’t as good as you’d hoped. Also, it’s hard to get back the feel good factor of last season when you are leaving out players who have been at the club for a while.

I hope he gets it right. He deserves to.

Safe to say I’ve been a critic of Warne but I’m not even close to blaming him at the moment - this squad is no where near good enough and we don’t know if that’s his fault.

I honestly think the recruitment we did when we first dropped into L1 was better.

Hope I’m wrong !

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, it must be frustrating for PW that he has got us into the promised land of the championship and yet our squad isn’t much stronger than last season.

The keeper is potentially exciting, Goudmijn is like Princess Kate at a car boot sale. 

Ozoh has potential but needs to build his confidence so he’s bossing games, not reacting all the time.

We’re no closer to finding the goal scorer(s) we need and are a bit boring to watch but these things take time.

If we could get Wiredu, Maghoma and Woodrow as speculated, that would certainly help. Still think we need an attacking LB and a clever midfield player to bolster our options.

We shouldn’t be starting with any of Collins, Brown, Washington or Barkhuisen at this level.

Management is tricky! You have to try to bed in new players and sometimes you’ll realise they aren’t as good as you’d hoped. Also, it’s hard to get back the feel good factor of last season when you are leaving out players who have been at the club for a while.

Moving Osborn to LB / LWB probably solves a need to upgrade there and also allows us to get Adams in to midfield to tighten up vs what we saw against Blackburn. Trusting Ozoh to be the heavyweight midfielder alongside Osborn and Kenzo is a big ask at his age.

Whether Osborn wants to do that is another matter but strikes me he’d probably be happy to play anywhere. Thompson can be the neat and tidy midfielder that he is when we need him to.

I think a big thing we need to do is fully commit to either a 3 or a 4 at the back. I really don’t care which but we seemingly don’t have the budget to carry players in the squad when we might only use a system to suit them half the time. I wonder what is being paid out this year to players I doubt we’d have much intention of using in an ideal world.

14 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Where have you seen Maghoma? Not even a transfer thread on that!

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Where have you seen Maghoma? Not even a transfer thread on that!

There was speculation that Brentford were about to sign new attacking options and that he would be going out on loan. 
Bolton aren’t in the mix, but there was some thought we might be.

Hope over expectation perhaps 😊

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

There was speculation that Brentford were about to sign new attacking options and that he would be going out on loan. 
Bolton aren’t in the mix, but there was some thought we might be.

Hope over expectation perhaps 😊

Exactly the type of player we need, to be fair. We have the pace options, we need someone with more guile and a trick.

The recruitment has been disappointing, not necessarily the players we've brought in because they all have merit, but the lack of it. It's not the end of the window, of course,  so I'll hold fire until the squad is completed and confirmed. I do think we have probably missed out on a number of players: Dembele, Willumson, Thordarson, Ryan, Murphy and maybe plenty more down the line.

Warne will have definitely been frustrated, perhaps not with the work gone into the scouting and analysis side because it does sound extremely thorough, but getting deals over the line and perhaps finances were far beyond our expectation on targets. The club need to make sure that by the end of the window they can have a look at the players in the building and know they aren't going to be in a relegation battle by the end of the season. 

At the moment, it's undeniable that we have a bottom 6 squad in this league and it's been proven to be susceptible to injuries. It's got to be a concern for Warne, because ultimately he's the one who answers for it. He wanted 12 players, we've signed 6 - with number 7 on the way. It means to me we're 5 players short of what he wanted and we're already talking about bringing just three more (CB, AM & ST). 

At the end of the window we will be able to look at it objectively and say if we have enough in the building to keep us out of trouble. I worried that we won't. 

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

That's extremely harsh. Any of those players are fine starting in the Championship for the odd game, but you don't want too many of them starting games together. There will be players starting games in the PL this season, who I wouldn't even want to be starting regularly in L1 - Springett had a PL start 18+ months before joining us on loan being an example.

I would walk away if I was Warne if it gets to this stage and we are relying on 18 year old loans and old journey men that nobody wants on a poundland budget. I am not a big fan of his really but he did a good job getting us up but we may as well have stayed down if Collins ,Barkheuizen and Forsyth will be playing week in week out. Forsyth played well last night but will get rinsed at LB this season if he is playing week in week out at his age.