Derby v Shrewsbury Town - Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I've reached the apathy stage. 

When my lad came downstairs this morning, and said he didn't feel well enough to go, I was kind of relieved. 

I just don't find the disruption to the day worth the time and cost invested, sadly. 

It's the same old performance at home, match after match, against teams who always seem to be 16th-19th in the league when we play them!

Sorry to read this Rev.

I have been like it for months. Can’t be arsed to pay a tenner to watch the tripe being served up; the 3 or 4 games I have actually seen since Stevenage on TV have all been underwhelming.

I still enjoy this forum, and find it far more entertaining to follow than actually watching the games. Logged on at 2 to see @Caerphilly Ram put the team news up, posted a few things, and decided with a 3 at the back not to hang around and simply checked the score at half time and full time. 

Flicking through here tonight I read that again we played poorly. It was of course always going to be a difficult game, with Warne letting us know on Thursday that Shrewsbury had such a good midfield that we couldn’t try to go through them, just over and round them. The bloke is an absolute clown, and it continues to be my view that he is holding us back. No surprise that game management was a problem again in the final few minutes.

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Judging by the reaction to this result, I think I’ll be all alone in the away end on Tuesday.

It’s disappointing to drop two points, but as we have seen that’s the norm for sides in our position. Why some people think we should be above it is beyond me.

Some people just fail to take any kind of perspective from the game. Look at the outpouring of anger after a draw. Can you imagine the reaction if we were getting hammered at home by Orient like Pompey were a few short weeks ago? Or getting whipped by Wycombe and conceding five like Peterborough today? I dread to think what it would be like if that was us.

Every game is a potential trip hazard at this stage and teams will do their very best to disrupt us which it sounds like Shrewsbury did very well, similar to Cheltenham before them.

Every team in the run in will look to do the same. Exeter on Tuesday will look to do a job on us too and it will be another tricky game to negotiate. We will do well to win.

Every team in the mix will have games where they contrive to take a poor result from a winnable game. This time it was us. We have 15 games to play and there will be highs and lows, twists and turns, good performances and bad, good results and bad, but we have to stick by the team.

Fair assessment but not sure about good performances to come. We’ve not had more than 5 all season.

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Couple of things:-

Every single offside decision in the first half, at least, was correct in my opinion. 

At what point did Warne come out and tell all of the players to sit back and defend the 1-0 lead?

The support wasn't stupendous. Booing your team when drawing is anything but stupendous.

Thanks for the info re offsides. It is much appreciated, and says that we have much work to do on the training ground about stating onside. Warne doesn't necessarily stand on the touch line waving everybody back into our own half, so no, you wouldn't have seen him doing it. But it happens so often after we've got our goal that it has to be more than a coincidence, and it has to be more than the opposition suddenly upping their game immediately after going behind. 

And I have to disagree with you about booing. I most certainly didn't hear any booing of the Rams at any point in the match. I suspect some of it may be the way the fans have taken to Adams, with a "chant" similar to the one we gave Martin Poom, which does sound like booing. Apart from a half-hearted go at the ref as he and his accomplices left the pitch, who had tried to time their exit for when we were still applauding the players at the end. But they even got that wrong. But that was all, as far a I am concerned. What was there to boo? a single miskick by Bradley, and one bit of poor defending? Naff all, really.

2 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, but just to balance out this thread, we have one more point on the board, we are still second, there are 45 points still to play for, we can still get promoted, and yes I am a happy clapper! 

I think more importantly, none of the others in the chasing pack are really doing that well. Barnsley won but needed goals in the 88th and 95th minute, Bolton and Stevenage only drew (albeit away from home) and Peterborough, who a lot of us thought were the best team we’d seen just over a month ago, have only picked up 1 point from the last 4 games. It seems we’re all doing our best to avoid automatic promotion.

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Sorry to read this Rev.

I have been like it for months. Can’t be arsed to pay a tenner to watch the tripe being served up; the 3 or 4 games I have actually seen since Stevenage on TV have all been underwhelming.

I still enjoy this forum, and find it far more entertaining to follow than actually watching the games. Logged on at 2 to see @Caerphilly Ram put the team news up, posted a few things, and decided with a 3 at the back not to hang around and simply checked the score at half time and full time. 

Flicking through here tonight I read that again we played poorly. It was of course always going to be a difficult game, with Warne letting us know on Thursday that Shrewsbury had such a good midfield that we couldn’t try to go through them, just over and round them. The bloke is an absolute clown, and it continues to be my view that he is holding us back. No surprise that game management was a problem again in the final few minutes.

Exactly how I feel. This is the first season in over 40 years that I can’t be arsed to go to a game. It is weird that we are in 2nd but I am so underwhelmed. Even with a lot of the games I’ve seen on tv, the football is laboured and turgid…..

Anyway, anyone want to talk about the good and bad bits about the game ? Individual performances ?

Or is this just the usual polarised Warne is a clown, Bradley is a liability, recruitment is rubbish, Sibley should play for England, Collins is a donkey, Ipswich were better than us. Etc etc etc ? 

for me, I had big hopes for Ward but he seems to have self doubt, doesn’t instinctively seek front foot which he is undoubtedly capable, thought Sibs did a couple of stormingly good tackles then spoilt it giving the ball away and being too lightweight. Back line did well, major blooper apart. Adams is a machine that bites, Collo just never gives up and gives everything and is effective. NML full of fight but carrying that foot injury took his edge away. Birdy looks much freer with Adams behind him. Not moaning about the ref except as far as his lack of interest in wrestling 

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Couple of things:-

Every single offside decision in the first half, at least, was correct in my opinion. 

At what point did Warne come out and tell all of the players to sit back and defend the 1-0 lead?

The support wasn't stupendous. Booing your team when drawing is anything but stupendous.

With Collins on the pitch, this is home banker, he was born offside, it would be easier for the Lino to flag when he is not offside. 

I work on the basis that if I'm confused about all the positional changes from in front of my TV, the players must be absolutely baffled. Warne has won games with his subs recently, but he cost us two points today. Nobody seemed to know who they were marking or where they should be and it descended into primary school kick and chase at times.

Adams is fantastic though. Once he's fully match fit, he'll eat this league up. Perfect mix of nasty, ratty b****** and actual footballing brain (exactly what I thought Fornah would be).

Edited by NorwichExile

I'm pint half full but you can't skate around the abysmal performances this season.

We were excellent against Oxford, v good vs Wigan. Everything since has been meh. 

I really felt positive going into today but the fact we played 5-3-2 at home against a bottom 6 team is unforgivable.

Nyambe, Sonny and Nelson were a back 3 with no-one to break the lines.

Yes, we are 2nd. I have no idea how. I haven't seen football this bad since little Billy. Yes, it's winning but boy is it boring.

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

I wasn't surprised by the result nor the performance.

No control yet again against a really average side who we should be dominating against. Sat on a 1 goal lead for some bizarre reason. Our only saving grace was Adams coming in and finally stopped midfield from getting bulldozed, he's a great player for this side. Exactly what we need.

Every point we have picked up since the turn of the year feels like "that'll do." The standard football is "that'll do." Unimpressive, turgid guff with no confident platform to build on if we gained promotion. Winning or drawing purely based on a team which happens to have some quality when needed, absolutely nothing to do with the manager and his setup. It's deflating and I can't believe I feel like that in a promotion race. We did get unlucky at the end with the header that somehow ended up hitting the bar. But then I'd argue we should have been 1-0 down when Bradley yet again fluffed his clearance and their lad hit it wide. 

Thought the crowd gave everything for the team today and did well to put up with more horrible football on offer. It's definitely déjà vu of last season but we don't have McGoldrick to bail Warne out this time.

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Anyway, anyone want to talk about the good and bad bits about the game ? Individual performances ?

Or is this just the usual polarised Warne is a clown, Bradley is a liability, recruitment is rubbish, Sibley should play for England, Collins is a donkey, Ipswich were better than us. Etc etc etc ? 

for me, I had big hopes for Ward but he seems to have self doubt, doesn’t instinctively seek front foot which he is undoubtedly capable, thought Sibs did a couple of stormingly good tackles then spoilt it giving the ball away and being too lightweight. Back line did well, major blooper apart. Adams is a machine that bites, Collo just never gives up and gives everything and is effective. NML full of fight but carrying that foot injury took his edge away. Birdy looks much freer with Adams behind him. Not moaning about the ref except as far as his lack of interest in wrestling 

Good post the Wrestling thing is a joke he must of warned them 3/4 times yet just watched them carry on do it as the crosses came in and did nothing 

12 minutes ago, SSD said:

I wasn't surprised by the result nor the performance.

No control yet again against a really average side who we should be dominating against. Sat on a 1 goal lead for some bizarre reason. Our only saving grace was Adams coming in and finally stopped midfield from getting bulldozed, he's a great player for this side. Exactly what we need.

Every point we have picked up since the turn of the year feels like "that'll do." The standard football is "that'll do." Unimpressive, turgid guff with no confident platform to build on if we gained promotion. Winning or drawing purely based on a team which happens to have some quality when needed, absolutely nothing to do with the manager and his setup. It's deflating and I can't believe I feel like that in a promotion race. We did get unlucky at the end with the header that somehow ended up hitting the bar. But then I'd argue we should have been 1-0 down when Bradley yet again fluffed his clearance and their lad hit it wide. 

Thought the crowd gave everything for the team today and did well to put up with more horrible football on offer. It's definitely déjà vu of last season but we don't have McGoldrick to bail Warne out this time.

Spot on pal. I’ve been watching us for 50 years and have seen some dreadful sides in that time, but I have rarely been so bored at games. Yes I’m grateful we still have a club and all that. I don’t particularly expect to get promoted from where we have been the last 12/18 months. But I DO like to enjoy my Saturday afternoons which I’m not watching Warneball. The football is negative and totally uninspiring. We have the players - despite obvious deficiencies up front - to play better but are constrained by the limited and under ambitious approach of our management. Yes we are second etc etc but I’m not enjoying this and I’m sure I’m not alone. Cue the happy clappers telling me to stay at home…. 

49 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, but just to balance out this thread, we have one more point on the board, we are still second, there are 45 points still to play for, we can still get promoted, and yes I am a happy clapper! 

Fair enough but were you there today ?