Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

Ignore that can't seem to delete it. 

Didn't think Sibley was that bad - he shows for the ball and helps us have some control in the game.  He didn't beat players tonight but for me he was average - not great but not poor.   Waggy wasn't great either but again possibly did enough to keep his place.    It was a better performance and I think maybe in part because we had more technically good and more forward thinking positive players in there.   I wouldn't want to drop Sibley for a Smith or a Fornah.   Possibly Barkhuizen could play that role but he may be more suited to wide areas where typically there is more space 

Just woke up and seen we won 2-0 and Washington scored really happy with that.  Thought on Saturday Washington looked really sharp and like a proper striker making runs in behind aggressively and looking strong and hungry .

Was Washington good or was it just cameo role where he tapped one in? Good to see NML score too.

Edit- Just seen the goals was a great direct goal from Washington think he could prove to be a decent signing until recently everyone thought he wasn't worth bringing in. Saturday was the first time I thought he was good.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

A win is a win no matter the opposition. All about tempo,we just have a bunch who prefer the easier path of exhibition pace if they are allowed. The movement, speed and one touch of the first goal will kill any side in L1. Hourihane doesn’t have the legs to beat the drum, Bird may have the desire given the need for a new contract. Otherwise it isn’t obvious who will inject the kind of energy and forward drive that say Madison has at Spurs. 

The  key is movement and perception of space. No planned moves needed, just tempo and intuition which all the players have. Warne needs a consistent structure (four at the back) and find a consistent line up and if that pisses a few off who aren’t first choices then fine. He then needs to work out how to set the tempo from the first minute and keep it high. Watch Madison, he drives forward with the ball if there is space in front, otherwise he looks for a forward pass. Very few backwards or sideways passes which are tempo killers. Bird is more than capable at this level but needs movement in front of him. Quality is more visible at tempo, we need to make our extra quality count.

Well, what a shitshow that was from us. I don’t know what’s happened to us but we were awful from minute 1 to minute 95. I thought you looked like a side low on confidence but who actually played quite well, you pressed us well and had done your homework to know that’s all you need to do. The personality we showed at the start of the season has disappeared, we’re in real trouble and should have lost by more.

Was impressed with your fans, after Shrewsbury I thought you might have been more negative but the South Stand were positive throughout, lots of supportive chants. You were a bit quiet considering you were 2-0 up, but that’s understandable after recent results. I also thought the ref was excellent.

No bright spots for us City fans I’m afraid, other than Demi Mitchell who will leave in January no doubt. A mini-slump has quickly turned into a relegation battle and none of us can work out why. We’re capable of being much better than last night but you wouldn’t think that. Calling us poor, inept and crap is actually kind, we were worse than that.

Anyway, good luck for the season, hope you go up. Despite singing ‘How s*** must you be, you’re still in league one’ last night, I hope you get promoted, your club is better than this.

15 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

Well, what a shitshow that was from us. I don’t know what’s happened to us but we were awful from minute 1 to minute 95. I thought you looked like a side low on confidence but who actually played quite well, you pressed us well and had done your homework to know that’s all you need to do. The personality we showed at the start of the season has disappeared, we’re in real trouble and should have lost by more.

Was impressed with your fans, after Shrewsbury I thought you might have been more negative but the South Stand were positive throughout, lots of supportive chants. You were a bit quiet considering you were 2-0 up, but that’s understandable after recent results. I also thought the ref was excellent.

No bright spots for us City fans I’m afraid, other than Demi Mitchell who will leave in January no doubt. A mini-slump has quickly turned into a relegation battle and none of us can work out why. We’re capable of being much better than last night but you wouldn’t think that. Calling us poor, inept and crap is actually kind, we were worse than that.

Anyway, good luck for the season, hope you go up. Despite singing ‘How s*** must you be, you’re still in league one’ last night, I hope you get promoted, your club is better than this.

Is that number 7? Thought he was really good wouldn't mind derby signing him

Can only beat what’s in front of you. We not only won but we also played some good stuff. Now the test is to show it wasn’t a one off and we don’t revert to type for the next game. 
Two more like that against Stevenage and Northampton and things will look better. Too early to say there’s no longer any concern (it was one game) but it was a step in the right direction. 👍

Well the biggest thing for me was the mindset was right , from first whistle they went at Exeter and the desire to fight for EVERY ball was there, seemed like team determined to win , perhaps this stuff about the players not wanting to play for warne isn’t correct 🤷🏻‍♂️,

we tried to play decent football too and did at times but the old adage is true and will be for the season ,,, you have to earn the right to play ,

tougher tests ahead but that was a good response to Saturday and if players and staff take it on a good building block , we are good enough to be right in the mix and have a few who are big and ugly enough to mix it ,

wags has to start for me , his link up play is better than Collins and I kind of would like to see wags and Washington getting a run together

8 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

To give a bit of balance to our current “crisis” we are now one point ahead of where we were last season after 13 games. It was at that stage we went on our unbeaten run of 15 league games. 

There’s Hope yet, when we start playing.

The thing is though, doesn't that demonstrate that we haven't made any progress? Being 1 point ahead of a side that also had a stuttering start and finished 7th isn't providing much hope really.

7 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't understand on highlights why they have to put up nine minutes of content but it's just three minutes repeated over and over. Why do you need to see a goal, or even attempt, three or four time on highlights? Just cut it to three minutes, show the highlights.

Have we turned a corner when it’s the video editor getting a kicking instead of the manager…?!

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

For those criticising the decision to take Sibley off, both he and CH had picked up stupid yellow cards, it wasn't worth risking a sending off over a silly foul from either of them. As for taking Wilson off, Barks needed to come on against a tiring defence and NML was putting in a man of the match performance, so Wilson was the obvious choice, especially as he's just come back from injury.

I thought Warne got the subs spot on tonight. Regardless of yellow cards (good point) Wilson and Sibley still aren't fully match-fit, Hourihane was visibly tiring too. Even Waggy was flagging so a good time for Collins and Washington to come on and try and bag one.

Watching the first goal back from last night I remembered Warne talking about something they’d worked on which led to a shot on goal against Shrewsbury, Bird into that channel to the left of the box then pulling it back for Barkhuizen who’s shot was saved….was NML’s goal a repeat of that and therefore evidence of some coaching paying off? Or just a coincidence and I can expect an influx of straw grabbing gifs any minute? 

Watching from the Easy Stand, next to the away fans, it was really obvious the lack of options Nelson, Nyambe and Wilson had to pass to inside to a midfield pivot. It was really a case of trying to force it up the wing. Nyambe’s physical strength helped him turn but Wilson was sometimes forced to run across the pitch with the ball. The midfield just doesn’t show for the ball and the gaps were too big between players. I don’t know whether that’s a tactic to get more players further up the pitch but it led to too many balls punted down the line. 

Lots of people saying Exeter were dire - they were last night - but they had 20 odd shots on Saturday against Wigan so maybe we made them look dire? 

A similar side to us in many ways, I thought. They wanted to play football, not very physical (although a couple of their subs were solid units, they were warming up down in our corner!) 

We showed greater desire than them last night, with our players chasing down every loose ball. 

Two big differences for me last night - Waggy's hold up play and a balanced midfield. NML worked so hard, Bird ran the show, and Hourihane mopped up. 

Shout out to Fozzy, who played a key pass in both goals. Where he finds the energy from I don't know, but he's definitely taken over the Mr Derby County role from Curtis Davies with some style. 

Appreciated a referee who largely let the game flow, helped by two sides who weren't more intent on fouling than playing the ball. It's a shame that the lino got the offside wrong because a 3-0 scoreline would have been a better reflection of the game and give more confidence going into Saturday, which I expect will be much more attritional than last night.

COYR! 

20231024_195126.jpg