Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

I predicted 3-0 so I feel cheated 🥹

Blame those that employ these image.png.ba4d81cedb16c19129d4b99049761794.png They're fast tracked from lower leagues, 2 horrendous decisions these last 2 games, A penalty for a dive and an offside when clearly onside, Throw in a bucketful of others and you see why football can get very emotive, I'm 100% sure this is going on all through the EFL where football is hamstrung by incompetents  

12 minutes ago, Beetle said:

I don't know why people keep having a go at Collins. He always gives everything when he plays and isn't afraid to shoot.

I’m with you, he’s a limited footballer but hardly the useless player some make him out to be.
He’s scored 5 goals so far this season (yes 2 were penalties but they still count and he still has to be composed enough to take it and score), puts a shift in when called upon, does occasionally get involved in build up play (he sent Bird away for the pullback to Barkhuizen on the weekend), and does his work in defence too. 
Are there better strikers out there? Yeah for sure. Do I appreciate Collins for doing his job while he’s here? Yep

Shame to see so-called fans labelling our own player as 'dogshit' and other choice terms. By all means call him out on the game, but is the abuse really necessary? He's a Derby player after all. Some on here might like to consider how they'd feel if they were being assessed in such charming terms for their efforts at their place of work. Whatever you think of his ability, he's still a Rams player and entitled to a modicum of respect from us fans as such. He's also 5 from 13 in the league this season, which is far from the horror story some of the drama queens on here portray. Hard to imagine, other spitting on the badge or flat out throwing it in, what would actually warrant terms like 'dogshit', but missing an easy square pass certainly isn't one of them. And this after we've won the game too!

Likewise Exeter - without fail, every time we win, we get a chorus of "well (insert club name) were by far the worst team we've faced all millennium" type comments. So f****** tedious. Last night, Oxford were beaten by a team languishing in the bottom 3 and Portsmouth could not muster a goal in 95 minutes against the mighty Cambridge, which more sensible heads might think tells you all you need to know about this league. The fact is, we're a league 1 team (as was evidenced by our failure to secure promotion last season) and right now we're playing like one, as often as not. The very same people who sagely pontificated on how hard it would be to get out of this league, are some the chippiest ***** on here now we're struggling. Get in the bin!

As for the game, the result was never in doubt. I thought we looked comfortable, pretty much throughout and were more than good value for the 2-0. They tried to play football, which was a pleasant surprise, but we were very good without the ball last night, harrying and pressing well and you could see their last vestiges of hope evaporate with the second goal. On the rare occasions they enjoyed a little possession, we kept our shape brilliantly and never really gave them too much hope. I think we look as good as any team I've seen in the league defensively speaking and we have a decent quality midfield if we can somehow keep Max healthy of mind and body and in good form. Still short of that explosive goal threat, though if we play like we did last night, we've enough to trouble most sides.

As for the result, it could and maybe should have been 4-0 and without the interventions of the myopic linesman, it might well have been. Surely that is worthy of more than begrudging praise, if any. Let's be honest here, there's no such thing as a 'routine win' for a side with our current home record! With 'routine' help from the officials, more often than not we conspire to turns 3 points into 1, or none at all, so let's not pretend otherwise, eh! 

Moving forwards, I hope that this is not another false dawn and that the attacking line-up is deployed against all but the best teams in the league, where a more circumspect approach is perhaps understandable. While I think we're a long way off Championship quality right now, we do have a strongish squad for L1 and we really need to be ensconcing ourselves firmly in the top 6 sooner, rather than later. Meet that milestone and we can then set about trying to reel in Oxford and / or Pompey which is a far from impossible feat if we can just add some consistency to our game.

COYR

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Shame to see so-called fans labelling our own player as 'dogshit' and other choice terms. By all means call him out on the game, but is the abuse really necessary? He's a Derby player after all. Some on here might like to consider how they'd feel if they were being assessed in such charming terms for their efforts at their place of work. Whatever you think of his ability, he's still a Rams player and entitled to a modicum of respect from us fans as such. He's also 5 from 13 in the league this season, which is far from the horror story some of the drama queens on here portray. Hard to imagine, other spitting on the badge or flat out throwing it in, what would actually warrant terms like 'dogshit', but missing an easy square pass certainly isn't one of them. And this after we've won the game too!

Likewise Exeter - without fail, every time we win, we get a chorus of "well (insert club name) were by far the worst team we've faced all millennium" type comments. So f****** tedious. Last night, Oxford were beaten by a team languishing in the bottom 3 and Portsmouth could not muster a goal in 95 minutes against the mighty Cambridge, which more sensible heads might think tells you all you need to know about this league. The fact is, we're a league 1 team (as was evidenced by our failure to secure promotion last season) and right now we're playing like one, as often as not. The very same people who sagely pontificated on how hard it would be to get out of this league, are some the chippiest ***** on here now we're struggling. Get in the bin!

As for the game, the result was never in doubt. I thought we looked comfortable, pretty much throughout and were more than good value for the 2-0. They tried to play football, which was a pleasant surprise, but we were very good without the ball last night, harrying and pressing well and you could see their last vestiges of hope evaporate with the second goal. On the rare occasions they enjoyed a little possession, we kept our shape brilliantly and never really gave them too much hope. I think we look as good as any team I've seen in the league defensively speaking and we have a decent quality midfield if we can somehow keep Max healthy of mind and body and in good form. Still short of that explosive goal threat, though if we play like we did last night, we've enough to trouble most sides.

As for the result, it could and maybe should have been 4-0 and without the interventions of the myopic linesman, it might well have been. Surely that is worthy of more than begrudging praise, if any. Let's be honest here, there's no such thing as a 'routine win' for a side with our current home record! With 'routine' help from the officials, more often than not we conspire to turns 3 points into 1, or none at all, so let's not pretend otherwise, eh! 

Moving forwards, I hope that this is not another false dawn and that the attacking line-up is deployed against all but the best teams in the league, where a more circumspect approach is perhaps understandable. While I think we're a long way off Championship quality right now, we do have a strongish squad for L1 and we really need to be ensconcing ourselves firmly in the top 6 sooner, rather than later. Meet that milestone and we can then set about trying to reel in Oxford and / or Pompey which is a far from impossible feat if we can just add some consistency to our game.

COYR

Get your tin hat on mate! This forum isn't ready for sensible and level-headed posts at the minute!

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

COYR

Yep spot on , I am happy to talk about Collins pros and cons and the bits I find frustrating ( needless fouls ) but exactly the same as warne I find the way some talk about the bloke on here just beyond decent and fair ,, 

for good or bad these are footballers/ managers who work for our club at present and doing they’re best as far as I can see , next we will have people saying if Collins had any decency he would rip up his contract and walk away from derby and give up his ability to earn a living Ala warne ,,,,utter poop and some should really take a look at what they post sometimes 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't understand on highlights why they have to put up nine minutes of content but it's just three minutes repeated over and over. Why do you need to see a goal, or even attempt, three or four time on highlights? Just cut it to three minutes, show the highlights.

I was surprised that the headed clearance from their defender, when the keeper was well beaten in the first half, didn't make the highlights show.

On the match, I felt that our players are still short of confidence, but this improved slightly as the match continued. Hopefully, a run of 2 or 3 wins on the trot, will change this and then these same players could really click and go on a great run of results.

One final point, I wish that CH, the player with the most goals from outside the penalty area in the last few years of the Premier league, would try curling a few into the top far corner of the goal. It doesn't need power, a player of his ability should be able to lift it over the defenders and out of the goalkeeper's reach, if he can do it against the world's top keepers in the Premier, he should be capable of the same with lg1 keepers. The rest of the team also needs to help create the space for him to do this.

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep spot on , I am happy to talk about Collins pros and cons and the bits I find frustrating ( needless fouls ) but exactly the same as warne I find the way some talk about the bloke on here just beyond decent and fair ,, 

for good or bad these are footballers/ managers who work for our club at present and doing they’re best as far as I can see , next we will have people saying if Collins had any decency he would rip up his contract and walk away from derby and give up his ability to earn a living Ala warne ,,,,utter poop and some should really take a look at what they post sometimes 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's that binary thing folk so love to do. A player can't just be average, which for L1, is precisely what Collo is. Like everyone else, I'm disappointed with his goal output and he doesn't create a lot for those around him, but online abuse of a player who gives his all and has popped up with important goals already this season, just illustrates what a grim collective football fans can be. If I'd got the pelters this lad has, no feckin way I'd walk from a contract. I'd be taking every penny! Likewise Warne, which is perhaps more pertinent.

At 30 minutes in I was fearing the worst. We'd had a good start, but once they rode out the first 10 minutes, they'd started to get in the game, had more of the ball and picked up nicely on the spaces appearing between our defensive and midfield lines. We looked a bit slow, lethargic, and unsure of ourselves. Defensively we made a couple of errors which a better side may well have punished. But as soon as the first went in with a great crossfield ball and a bit of one-touch football the result never looked in doubt. They were out of their depth and unable to deal with us physically as well as technically. We upped the tempo, pressed hard, and offered good movement in the final third. 

This result and performance for the majority was better than others. It buys Warne some good will and time from the supporter base who have grown increasingly frustrated. However, if we go down to Stevenage and put in a stinking performance we'll be back to square one. 

7 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Shout out to NML - looked like he'd lost a bit of timber and was still chasing after 90 minutes whereas in the majority of games he's been shot after an hour.....

Guatemala Airways’ in-flight meals aren’t up to much 😁.

31 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

At 30 minutes in I was fearing the worst. We'd had a good start, but once they rode out the first 10 minutes, they'd started to get in the game, had more of the ball and picked up nicely on the spaces appearing between our defensive and midfield lines. We looked a bit slow, lethargic, and unsure of ourselves. Defensively we made a couple of errors which a better side may well have punished. But as soon as the first went in with a great crossfield ball and a bit of one-touch football the result never looked in doubt. They were out of their depth and unable to deal with us physically as well as technically. We upped the tempo, pressed hard, and offered good movement in the final third. 

This result and performance for the majority was better than others. It buys Warne some good will and time from the supporter base who have grown increasingly frustrated. However, if we go down to Stevenage and put in a stinking performance we'll be back to square one. 

Yes, we look vulnerable in the air when balls avoid Nelson.

Last night an Exeter player got in between Cashin and Forsyth as they ambled back but luckily couldn’t control his header.

I wonder if we’re better playing in the week?

The last cup game and this game have produced some of our best football 😊

7 hours ago, Srg said:

We just don't agree then. You can point to goals to games ratios all you want, one backed up by penalties and another by a hat trick in one half, but none of that changes the fact that the way we play is completely hamstrung by the attributes, or lack thereof, of those strikers. The midfield hasn't been great, but when midfielders get the ball, look up, and the only option is to go wide or recycle backwards because we have a statue up front it gets very very easy to defend against. Our strikers scare no team in this league, there's no threat in behind, there's no threat from distance, none of them can beat a man and they'd all struggle in a foot race against anyone.

I get what you mean ,Collins and Waghorn don't have pace and can't beat players. Washington does have enough pace to get in behind though as shown against Shrewsbury,  don't think he has been given a fair shot yet.

Kudos to @ossieram and his D block crew in the South Stand, when it could have got a bit tetchy for the first half hour or so they kept a positive drumbeat (literally) of songs going to get behind  the players. It worked, enough joined in to keep any moans and groans down.

Fair play to Exeter as well for a decent turnout and support for a bloody long journey on a Tuesday night.

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Kudos to @ossieram and his D block crew in the South Stand, when it could have got a bit tetchy for the first half hour or so they kept a positive drumbeat (literally) of songs going to get behind  the players. It worked, enough joined in to keep any moans and groans down.

Fair play to Exeter as well for a decent turnout and support for a bloody long journey on a Tuesday night.

We tried to get an atmosphere going,  but it's down to the same few people to get it going and it's getting harder getting the rest of the stand and other parts of the ground to join in.

We only had one person trying to get a Warne out chant going,  a young lad with his hood up and a scarf over his face who didn't join in with any other song and isn't normally up near us, safe to say nobody joined in and I doubt he'll be back up there again. 

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

We only had one person trying to get a Warne out chant going,  a young lad with his hood up and a scarf over his face who didn't join in with any other song and isn't normally up near us, safe to say nobody joined in and I doubt he'll be back up there again. 

Did he have mitts on as well, to hide the fact he had six fingers and came from the other side of the M1?😉

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, we look vulnerable in the air when balls avoid Nelson.

Last night an Exeter player got in between Cashin and Forsyth as they ambled back but luckily couldn’t control his header.

I wonder if we’re better playing in the week?

The last cup game and this game have produced some of our best football 😊

It's a valid point, but I don't think it reflects vulnerability.  A mistake maybe, but both cash and Fozzy are decent enough in the air. Honestly, I thought it was one of the most controlled performances I've seen from us in ages. I don't think they had a single shot on target. I thought we worked really hard in front of the back 4 too, so you could argue it was not their toughest night, but to restrict any team in the way we did last night, I thought spoke volumes. It wasn't a flashy performance, but it was a thoroughly professional one. 

Massive tangent, but how good is it to see a resurgent Max Bird? No more the callow youth! There's an innate swagger to the young man's work right now and I like it. He'll face stiffer challenges ahead of course, but he looks on really good terms with himself and his game and you'd think his form is likely key to our chances this season. 

Needs minding please Mr Warne! 🙏

Edited by Comrade 86