Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

8 hours ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Enjoyed that tonight, and well done to the fans who went tonight, not getting on the players backs, nice to see Hourihane get applaud off the pitch as well

Right to the game, Bird was my MOM, he was excellent a joy to watch, first goal excellent footballing goal a great ball from Forsyth to Bird who played in Mendez and bang a great finish, thought NML had his best game off the season, also thought Kane gave his all, and the defence was solid, also good for Washington to get on the score sheet with a very well taken goal, now the important part, lets follow this up with 3 points away to stevenage on saturday. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Yes, great post. You manage to say what I said in half the number of words. 🤣
It wasn’t a great performance, it was simply what was needed after Saturday and to calm the panic. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought Warne got the subs spot on tonight. Regardless of yellow cards (good point) Wilson and Sibley still aren't fully match-fit, Hourihane was visibly tiring too. Even Waggy was flagging so a good time for Collins and Washington to come on and try and bag one.

I thought we needed Wilson to stay on for another 5 minutes against the LB they had only just brought on and got booked within 1 minute. He was making a mess in his underwear every time he got the ball. Other than that, I think the subs were perfect.

57 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The thing is though, doesn't that demonstrate that we haven't made any progress? Being 1 point ahead of a side that also had a stuttering start and finished 7th isn't providing much hope really.

We are very slightly better off but given the number of new players coming in and the amount of injuries we have had to unsettle the side, there is not the CRISIS that many appear to think there is. Hopefully we build on last night’s improved and promising show  and if we can go on a similar run to last year, we should be up there, despite not replacing McGoldrick ( he is irreplaceable anyway).

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Lots of people saying Exeter were dire - they were last night - but they had 20 odd shots on Saturday against Wigan so maybe we made them look dire? 

A similar side to us in many ways, I thought. They wanted to play football, not very physical (although a couple of their subs were solid units, they were warming up down in our corner!) 

We showed greater desire than them last night, with our players chasing down every loose ball. 

Two big differences for me last night - Waggy's hold up play and a balanced midfield. NML worked so hard, Bird ran the show, and Hourihane mopped up. 

Shout out to Fozzy, who played a key pass in both goals. Where he finds the energy from I don't know, but he's definitely taken over the Mr Derby County role from Curtis Davies with some style. 

Appreciated a referee who largely let the game flow, helped by two sides who weren't more intent on fouling than playing the ball. It's a shame that the lino got the offside wrong because a 3-0 scoreline would have been a better reflection of the game and give more confidence going into Saturday, which I expect will be much more attritional than last night.

COYR! 

20231024_195126.jpg

Spot on Angie,my thoughts exactly, especially in respect of fozzy,I thought he was our best player last night.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Pretty good last night, probably the most complete performance of the season albeit against a very poor Exeter.

Midfield looked far more energetic and with more quality on the ball, Waggy much better suited to playing as a lone striker and wingers did well against there men.

Still think we rely too much on wide play and often both of the pivot in midfield are splitting and leaving a chasm in the centre which limits options.

Some definite green shoots after some pretty dire performances, be interesting to see what he does Saturday, will he return to form in a away game?

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I’m not sure a 20+ goal striker with pace and athleticism is available at this level. Warne spent most of the transfer window looking for one and couldn’t find them.

I think Washington can press well, but he’s not great at much else to be honest (good goal tonight though). 

Don't particularly need them to be 20 goal plus, just a striker with those attributes would improve the entire team. For all we know, that guy is Dajaune Brown but Warne continues to completely ignore him despite the tragic options in the first team. At the very worst, he's no better than what we have. But at least we'd know.

I've been super-critical of the deliberate tactic to NOT play through midfield - something PW stated in one of his interviews recently.

I sense last night's set up and approach, which saw us play more through midfield in the first 2 minutes than in the first 45 on Saturday, was something of a job-saving change of tack by PW.

Does he really believe in that style of play? I hope so because at this level we're very good at it, we'll win more games and it was good to watch.

I don't really get the negativity towards Hourihane - him and Bird were excellent last night and if they are allowed to play through midfield and these two stay fit we'll do well.

Exeter were as good as we allowed them to be. If we'd played with that deliberate play-through-midfield approach on Saturday I strongly suspect we'd have a forum full of posters saying how crap Shrewsbury were. 

As for the Collins pile on....yes, he was poor last night and he should have laid off that ball to Barks but, if he had a fiver for every decent run that wasn't noticed or was ignored, he'd be sat on a yacht somewhere.

How many high, long balls against monster defenders did Waggy have to deal with last night......none? How many did Collins have to deal with on Saturday...plenty? I'm one of the few that sees value in Collins in the right team with the right set up but, if playing a shorter CF means we stop lump ball, I'd happily go with Waggy as the CF even though I think Collins is better in that role.

Saturday was rubbish. Last night was very enjoyable because of a deliberate decision to play proper football. Fingers crossed it continues.

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

Lots of people saying Exeter were dire - they were last night - but they had 20 odd shots on Saturday against Wigan so maybe we made them look dire? 

A similar side to us in many ways, I thought. They wanted to play football, not very physical (although a couple of their subs were solid units, they were warming up down in our corner!) 

We showed greater desire than them last night, with our players chasing down every loose ball. 

Two big differences for me last night - Waggy's hold up play and a balanced midfield. NML worked so hard, Bird ran the show, and Hourihane mopped up. 

Shout out to Fozzy, who played a key pass in both goals. Where he finds the energy from I don't know, but he's definitely taken over the Mr Derby County role from Curtis Davies with some style. 

Appreciated a referee who largely let the game flow, helped by two sides who weren't more intent on fouling than playing the ball. It's a shame that the lino got the offside wrong because a 3-0 scoreline would have been a better reflection of the game and give more confidence going into Saturday, which I expect will be much more attritional than last night.

COYR! 

20231024_195126.jpg

I thought Fozzy was excellent again last night - showed some real quality.

4 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I've been super-critical of the deliberate tactic to NOT play through midfield - something PW stated in one of his interviews recently.

I sense last night's set up and approach, which saw us play more through midfield in the first 2 minutes than in the first 45 on Saturday, was something of a job-saving change of tack by PW.

Does he really believe in that style of play? I hope so because at this level we're very good at it, we'll win more games and it was good to watch.

I don't really get the negativity towards Hourihane - him and Bird were excellent last night and if they are allowed to play through midfield and these two stay fit we'll do well.

Exeter were as good as we allowed them to be. If we'd played with that deliberate play-through-midfield approach on Saturday I strongly suspect we'd have a forum full of posters saying how crap Shrewsbury were. 

As for the Collins pile on....yes, he was poor last night and he should have laid off that ball to Barks but, if he had a fiver for every decent run that wasn't noticed or was ignored, he'd be sat on a yacht somewhere.

How many high, long balls against monster defenders did Waggy have to deal with last night......none? How many did Collins have to deal with on Saturday...plenty? I'm one of the few that sees value in Collins in the right team with the right set up but, if playing a shorter CF means we stop lump ball, I'd happily go with Waggy as the CF even though I think Collins is better in that role.

Saturday was rubbish. Last night was very enjoyable because of a deliberate decision to play proper football. Fingers crossed it continues.

I watched Saturday’s game at Shrewsbury on RamsTV for the first time yesterday, expecting to see a shambles but we weren’t that bad. We definitely had quite a few periods where we did play through midfield and strung quite a few passes together but our final ball approaching their box was very poor. Watch the match again and you will see it wasn’t as bad as people make out despite the very poor result. We didn’t deserve to lose the game.

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think the second thing I've highlighted (partially at least) explains the first.  We set up to counter teams playing against us, press them high, win the ball back high up the pitch etc.  The problem is that most teams don't really do that to us, not at Pride Park anyway.  They sit deep, spoil, and try and nick a goal from a set piece or something.  And we don't deal with that stuff well at all, we just seem to hang around waiting to press a passing move that never comes.  We have no real game plan that doesn't involve stopping them playing first.

So when a team does come along and try to play a bit, we look good.  But it's not going to happen often enough to get us promoted.  And I've no confidence that any of the improvements from last night will translate into the other sort of games.

A wins a win against possibly the worse team we have seen at Pride park so far this season

Better balance to the side and Waghorn should always be picked in front of Collins

Again not sure why people on here think Sibley is the next Lampard he was lucky not to be substituted at half time,yet again another missed opportunity,although maybe nice to go again with the same starting 11 come Saturday

10 hours ago, S8TY said:

True but I actually thought the ref was inconspicuous and let the game flow got a couple wrong but all in all got most things right 

Very good ref I thought. Totally and correctly ignored the "dying flies" of Exeter's attempt to stymie the flow.  

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I don't understand on highlights why they have to put up nine minutes of content but it's just three minutes repeated over and over. Why do you need to see a goal, or even attempt, three or four time on highlights? Just cut it to three minutes, show the highlights.

A bit harsh - covered 12 different attempts on goal. 

I like to see the replays, too, as you spot little things you maybe didn't notice at the time, whilst also hearing the summary of the move from the co-commentator.

I think RamsTV do a great job.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

A bit harsh - covered 12 different attempts on goal. 

I like to see the replays, too, as you spot little things you maybe didn't notice at the time, whilst also hearing the summary of the move from the co-commentator.

I think RamsTV do a great job.

I notice that they left out Collins failure to play Barkhuizen in on goal... 🤭

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

We are very slightly better off but given the number of new players coming in and the amount of injuries we have had to unsettle the side, there is not the CRISIS that many appear to think there is. Hopefully we build on last night’s improved and promising show  and if we can go on a similar run to last year, we should be up there, despite not replacing McGoldrick ( he is irreplaceable anyway).

That's an excuse though isn't it? We're a year further on under Warne, we should be seeing material gain year on year and we aren't. Last night was decent, however the caveat was that it was against a side that has lost 5 on the trott. Being up there is the bare minimum requirement. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Don't particularly need them to be 20 goal plus, just a striker with those attributes would improve the entire team. For all we know, that guy is Dajaune Brown but Warne continues to completely ignore him despite the tragic options in the first team. At the very worst, he's no better than what we have. But at least we'd know.

Our options aren't tragic, I think Washington is quite good for this level as a link up player Waghorn is decent as well not great but decent. Collins is very frustrating but has a decent goals to games ratio this season and is atleast slightly above average for this poor league. Maybe once John Jules gets fit in a few weeks he Maybe good as well. It's a good enough strike force for promotion even though we lack a main man like Charles or JCH I think the midfield play and some poor defending has been our main weakness, the midfield have been poor both offensively and defensively in a lot of games even though playing the right way they are good enough individuals.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

10 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Its quite simple

without hating on the guy .. nd iv said this before .. we wont go anywhere with jameS collins leading the line

he doesn't play and all of sudden we look like a football side, 

he comes on first thing he did try to to lay it off , straight to their man

hes a liability outside the penalty box… inside .. yer fine, hes not bad but hes so so bad outside it he hinders our attacking play 

collins failure to see/put barks through for a tap in,and subsequently fail to hit the target highlights just how woeful he is.we dont have a striker at the club,we have two forwards who are slightly better at playing up front than they are any where else on the field,not strikers.,whoever is in charge in january,a striker has to be the utmost priority