Derby County vs Exeter City (H) Match Thread

Idiakez

2 hours ago, ck- said:

On the Sibley observations, he’s not been his most effective, but in my opinion he’s made some good runs to create space for others, and his through pass for the disallowed goal was delightful. 
assuming it was him and I’ve not mixed him up with someone else. 
Great pass whoever it was. 

He also put in a shift covering across to allow Bird the freedom he had tonight. It's not just about what he does on the ball, it's out of possession too. And he's doing this off the back of no pre-season at all. 

Edited by angieram

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Exeter looked like an Academy team. Pretty useless, weak and naive all across the pitch. Offered pretty much nothing in any facet of the game. 

Thought we were pretty average. Defence played well but had very little to do. Wilson and NML were good and Bird decent too. Beyond that, not a lot to write home about. 

A win is a win, and we absolutely needed that. A long way off looking like we’re turning a corner or have unlocked anything from this squad.

Very little off-ball movement first half. Still a glaring issue at striker with Waghorn poor and Collins horrendous when given his chance. Sibley not good enough and Hourihane walking about isn’t helping anything. 

Waggy did enough linking play and Hourihane put in a couple of decent tackles to win the ball back, but otherwise largely agree.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

He’s still not exactly a needle mover for this team, despite being better than Collins (not difficult though). We essentially just need to limp towards January and hope we have a plan then, or TJJ comes back and stays fit. 

Wags didn’t set the world alight, but he was competent, positioned himself well enough and gave us a focal point to link the midfield and attack that’s been badly lacking.

He’s the easily best option from what we have at the moment, unless TJJ suddenly recovers.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

He also put in a shift covering across to allow Bird the freedom he had tonight. It's not just about what he does on the ball, it's out of possession too. And he's doing this off the back off no pre-season at all. 

Agree Angie, I thought Sibley did ok tonight. Nothing flashy but he worked hard and made it possible for Bird to push on. He was solid and did a shift for the team.

59 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Regulation win against a poor side. Still no presence up front apart from over-reliance on NML. Unless something changes it’ll be touch and go from here. We need better options up to…can J-J provide it? 

Still some way off according to Barker post-match.

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

He’s still not exactly a needle mover for this team, despite being better than Collins (not difficult though). We essentially just need to limp towards January and hope we have a plan then, or TJJ comes back and stays fit. 

I wonder if we were ever actually linked with Clarke-Harris, and if the rumours of Collins to Shrewsbury were part of that. Shame the Rhodes transfer fell through (if the rumours were true) as he’s already on 9 goals this season. 

I don’t there’d be anyone available in January who would be an improvement.

I wasn’t really looking forward to tonight but I’m really pleased I went. I thought it was a much better performance. It looked to me like we only had Hourihane holding, with Bird and Sibley further forward. We hardly played any aimless long balls from the back and tried to play it to feet. We spent most of the game in the opposition half - admittedly, Exeter are crap, but it was good to see us largely keeping the ball. And we created a lot of chances.

Birdy and NML were class and Hourihane deserves a shout. He dictated things from deep and was always available. Nice to see the crowd give him a good reaction when he was subbed.

Nyambe is a hell of a defender, very strong and recovers well. I thought Sibley was disappointing first half but grew into the game second half. To give him credit, PW got the selection and subs right. We shouldn’t be lining up with two defensive mids, especially at home. We’re good enough to have one holding and let the others play further forward.

And the ref was very good.

Its quite simple

without hating on the guy .. nd iv said this before .. we wont go anywhere with jameS collins leading the line

he doesn't play and all of sudden we look like a football side, 

he comes on first thing he did try to to lay it off , straight to their man

hes a liability outside the penalty box… inside .. yer fine, hes not bad but hes so so bad outside it he hinders our attacking play 

Solid performance given the knock Shrewsbury dealt us. 

Bird pulled strings all night and stands out as having a football brain. NML looked refreshed and dangerous again. Kane Wilson plays with passion, I like him. Makes mistakes but is both dangerous and a grafter with more to come I hope. Unlike others I don’t think Exeter were that bad, they just had no goal threat but they pressed well and had some pace. 

The one thing that stands out for me is when we do one touch quick football we cut them to bits .. but we seemed so hesitant and lacking any instinctive desire to try a risky one or to anticipate. We are a bit too passive with the ball. Either we don’t notice runs like Nyambe makes or stitch 1-2’s together. There is the making of a team here but we aren’t a unit yet. 

Subs worked well, Collins must be killing himself for not laying it off but he redeemed himself a little with a good clearance late on and a nice bit of hold up for Bird who should have shot but laid it off. Sibs worked hard but regardless of how many goes he gets I think he is going to be one of those players who has one good match in 4. 

For those criticising the decision to take Sibley off, both he and CH had picked up stupid yellow cards, it wasn't worth risking a sending off over a silly foul from either of them. As for taking Wilson off, Barks needed to come on against a tiring defence and NML was putting in a man of the match performance, so Wilson was the obvious choice, especially as he's just come back from injury.

8 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I wonder if we were ever actually linked with Clarke-Harris, and if the rumours of Collins to Shrewsbury were part of that. Shame the Rhodes transfer fell through (if the rumours were true) as he’s already on 9 goals this season. 

I don’t there’d be anyone available in January who would be an improvement.

Rhodes wouldn’t have been the answer. We need someone with pace, athleticism and youth. Warne preaches a pressing game but we are completely unable to do that with what we have. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Rhodes wouldn’t have been the answer. We need someone with pace, athleticism and youth. Warne preaches a pressing game but we are completely unable to do that with what we have. 

I’m not sure a 20+ goal striker with pace and athleticism is available at this level. Warne spent most of the transfer window looking for one and couldn’t find them.

I think Washington can press well, but he’s not great at much else to be honest (good goal tonight though). 

Enjoyed that tonight, and well done to the fans who went tonight, not getting on the players backs, nice to see Hourihane get applaud off the pitch as well

Right to the game, Bird was my MOM, he was excellent a joy to watch, first goal excellent footballing goal a great ball from Forsyth to Bird who played in Mendez and bang a great finish, thought NML had his best game off the season, also thought Kane gave his all, and the defence was solid, also good for Washington to get on the score sheet with a very well taken goal, now the important part, lets follow this up with 3 points away to stevenage on saturday. Once A Ram Always A Ram.