Pro Warne

Jram

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ah... but I have a cunning plan...

The first game is on the Saturday, the second game on the Sunday, and the Wembley Final on the BH Monday!

Sorry... I forgot to mention that bit!  😄

What about having all 3 games at Wembley, on the same day, with a 15 minute break between matches, an even better plan?😁

I've probably had a bit too much time on my hands this afternoon and did some looking into Warne's managerial career.

Looking at points per game, he has shown improvement most seasons in League 1 from when he first managed in the league in 2017/18 averaging 1.72 ppg. This then rose the following two league 1 campaigns he had from 1.77 to 1.96 ppg. He had a bit of an off season last year averaging 1.68 ppg, but you can give him some leeway coming into a new team and only having 1 transfer window in the January to add some of his touches to the team. So far we're averaging 2 ppg so have improved so far this season.

Looking at it he has always been ok defensively in league 1, but has improved over the last 3 seasons conceding less than a goal a game on average. There is also a significant improvement defensively in the championship, with his averaged goals conceded dropping by over a goal a game in his 3 and a bit seasons from 2016/17.

On the bright side if he does get us back into the championship, he appears to be doing less bad going from an average ppg of 0.57 to 0.87 to 0.91 to 1.56 (last season in the 9 games he managed at Rotherham).

13 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

OK.  We'll stick with what we have then... Finish 3rd to 6th... win a two leg semi-final... then head to Wembley to boil the entire season down to one game.

👀

Nothing wrong with the current system in my opinion. At the end of the day there will always be a cut off point for automatic promotion. Its a binary. You're either above the line or below the line.

It's a second chance for the 3rd team to gain promotion, everything is in that team's favour and more often than not, the 3rd placed team wins it.

If you had the 3rd team straight into the final, somehow I think that just increases the jeopardy. It would be a random game played weeks after the seasons end. In this scenario, the opposition team joining them in the final would surely be more 'ready' for the final given they potentially will have played two games beforehand and will have built up some momentum. If we're looking for fairness, we need more games not less.

Edited by Rammy03

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Nothing wrong with the current system in my opinion. At the end of the day there will always be a cut off point for automatic promotion. Its a binary. You're either above the line or below the line.

It's a second chance for the 3rd team to gain promotion, everything is in that team's favour and more often than not, the 3rd placed team wins it.

If you had the 3rd team straight into the final, somehow I think that just increases the jeopardy. It would be a random game played weeks after the seasons end. In this scenario, the opposition team joining them in the final would surely be more 'ready' for the final given they potentially will have played two games beforehand and will have built up some momentum. If we're looking for fairness, we need more games not less.

Despite my earlier suggestion for a change, on the whole, I do agree with your opening paragraph.  My call for change was more poking my nose into the conversation than a crusade for change, if I'm honest.
I'd probably say "There's little point in changing it, as there's little room for improvement" as opposed to "There's nothing wrong with it", but that aside, I'm with you.  We all know where we stand before a ball is kicked, and we all know what needs to be achieved, and by when.  As you say, we all know where that line is.  And it's as fair as it's likely ever to be.  

👍🍻

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Despite my earlier suggestion for a change, on the whole, I do agree with your opening paragraph.  My call for change was more poking my nose into the conversation than a crusade for change, if I'm honest.
I'd probably say "There's little point in changing it, as there's little room for improvement" as opposed to "There's nothing wrong with it", but that aside, I'm with you.  We all know where we stand before a ball is kicked, and we all know what needs to be achieved, and by when.  As you say, we all know where that line is.  And it's as fair as it's likely ever to be.  

👍🍻

Random suggestion...

What about about its the play offs scenario, unless the 3rd place finish a certain amount of points eg 5 ..10 clear of 4th, then they go up automatically.

Or every 3 points gives them a goal start in the play offs. 

PS I think it's fine as it is really.

Edited by Chester40

Another thing which impresses me about Warne:

This Derby team displays basically no dissent. It may just be that the players are a good group but I’d imagine it comes from the management. They never seem to falsely claim set pieces, they never shout at the ref. Well, certainly less than other teams I’ve seen. 
I really rate that 

On 19/01/2024 at 12:34, Mucker1884 said:

I'd quite like to see:

5th at home to 6th...

Winner away to 4th...

Winner of that at Wembley v 3rd.

3rd place may not guarantee promotion, but it guarantees a Wembley day out, and just the 1 play off tie to try to secure that promotion, rather than 3.

Another way would be:

3rd at home to 4th, winner goes to the final, loser plays winner of 5-6, at home

5th at home to 6th, winner plays loser of 3-4 away. Loser is out.

Loser of 3-4 Vs winner of 5-6 to decide the second finalist.

Final at wembley.

It's the way the IPL finals work and it gives 3rd an advantage over 4th, but 4th over 5th and 5th over 6th.

I'm not convinced it's better than the current system, but it's an option to consider.

23 hours ago, Curtains said:

I like the guy 

He’s doing ok under difficult circumstances 

The club are still under restrictions whichever way you want to look at it. 

Exactly my thoughts too curtains.

Don't get me wrong,the football needs to improve but Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

And...I like him too,I enjoy his chats...at least he's honest.

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Exactly my thoughts too curtains.

Don't get me wrong,the football needs to improve but Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

And...I like him too,I enjoy his chats...at least he's honest.

I think he has been unlucky with recruitment as deals have broken down but I’m hoping he has better luck this week. 
I really hope he can guide us to the Championship 

On 28/01/2024 at 15:11, Inverurie Ram said:

I'm Warney
Warney, Warney, Warney
So Warney
I'm Warney, Warney, Warney
I'm Warney
Warney, Warney, Warney
So Warney
I'm Warney , Warney , Warney tonight

Up The Rams 🐏

Good work though the thought of a horny Warney is a bit disturbing.

On 28/01/2024 at 15:14, Curtains said:

I like the guy 

He’s doing ok under difficult circumstances 

The club are still under restrictions whichever way you want to look at it. 

My personal view is that any EFL restrictions are not materially more onerous than the budgets David clowes is prepared to fund anyway.

But we'll see in the summer....