Pro Warne

Jram

Anyone else still willing to give this time? Don’t seem to be many on the forum.

I don’t think we’ve been that bad (albeit I wasn’t there yesterday). Sounded like we had some good spells in the game though and we’ve had some brilliant performances (Peterborough, Blackpool)

Big squad turnover in the summer so willing to give it chance to come together. We’ve had some bad luck with injuries and decisions which will hopefully turn. 

I think some of the anti-warne sentiment is the immediate anger of losing to so-called lesser clubs but, unfortunately, we were always going to lose games across a 46 game season so no need to panic 

4 minutes ago, Jram said:

Anyone else still willing to give this time? Don’t seem to be many on the forum.

I don’t think we’ve been that bad (albeit I wasn’t there yesterday). Sounded like we had some good spells in the game though and we’ve had some brilliant performances (Peterborough, Blackpool)

Big squad turnover in the summer so willing to give it chance to come together. We’ve had some bad luck with injuries and decisions which will hopefully turn. 

I think some of the anti-warne sentiment is the immediate anger of losing to so-called lesser clubs but, unfortunately, we were always going to lose games across a 46 game season so no need to panic 

I was the same.  I voted not even under any pressure to go or something but not now. Trudge to home games from Cambs with no enthusiasm other than to support team as ever. I was at neither Posh nor Blackpool but comments on here from non-reactionary posters with no agenda suggested score lines papered over issues. Warne's reaction to criticism has also not been great and cemented my views. Just want him gone as the club's spirit is draining away

8 minutes ago, Jram said:

The conversation for me now has turned rapidly into is DC willing to give Warne more time and why hasn't he already pulled the trigger if matters are that bad?

And what he will do differently with recruiting the next manager that he didn't manage to do with Warne?

All of which are question marks against DC as the owner not PW as manager. 

13 minutes ago, Jram said:

He's had over a year and we seem to be getting worse. My patience has gone at only getting 1 point out of 6 against Cheltenham and Shrewsbury.

I was Warne in right until this last few games. We're just not seeing any improvement against teams who are happy to keep the game tight and make it a physical encounter. Until we can roll these teams over we're going nowhere.

44 points from the last 31 games in Division 3 (since 1 Feb) is unacceptable for this club.

14 minutes ago, Jram said:

Honestly can’t think of any pro Warne arguments other that the obvious financial situation. We haven’t made any progress whatsoever, probably gone backwards. Fans are not happy. The style of football is horrendous. I’ve been to watch Burton Albion on a few occasions and they look far better. With the squad he has we should be most certainly further up the table. Seems that he’s lost the majority of fans. The young players will definitely go next year as we won’t get any where near promotion. I get the “give him time” too but I see NO progress or any sign of it. I’m sorry but he has to go 

Just now, BuckoBeast said:

Honestly can’t think of any pro Warne arguments other that the obvious financial situation. We haven’t made any progress whatsoever, probably gone backwards. Fans are not happy. The style of football is horrendous. I’ve been to watch Burton Albion on a few occasions and they look far better. With the squad he has we should be most certainly further up the table. Seems that he’s lost the majority of fans. The young players will definitely go next year as we won’t get any where near promotion. I get the “give him time” too but I see NO progress or any sign of it. I’m sorry but he has to go 

If it's that simplistic an argument then why hasn't Clowes already actioned this?

Personally, I would now give Warne 10 days to evidence he can galvanise and organise his dressing room combatants to produce 9 points from the next 3 games. 7 might be sufficient if we play in a more attractive style, but frankly Exeter, Stevenage and Northampton should not be a difficult run of fixtures to get maximum points if he selects the right team and plays to the players strengths. If he persists with his current tactics, win%, deluded after-match analysis, etc., we should be looking to appoint a new manager for the Crewe game.

17 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I was Warne in right until this last few games. We're just not seeing any improvement against teams who are happy to keep the game tight and make it a physical encounter. Until we can roll these teams over we're going nowhere.

44 points from the last 31 games in Division 3 (since 1 Feb) is unacceptable for this club.

You are a bellwether 😉 l saw a few very pro-Warne posters turning yesterday but you currently top my defection list. We are at a tipping point, and only a few successive wins now I think can save Warne. He probably knows it too.

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If it's that simplistic an argument then why hasn't Clowes already actioned this?

You asked me exactly the same question and I gave you a perfectly good answer. Bucko Beast didn't make a 'simplistic' point, but you are. Lets explain again, Clowes hasn't pulled the trigger YET because he gave the guy a 4 year contract, wants to give him time, has a relationship with him and it would cost a lot of money. However those are the same considerations for any owner in this position. More unlikely possibilities though are that Clowes is a very indecisive guy and/or he thinks Warne is doing an acceptable job given the circumstances. I think his move to change Rosenior for Warne suggests the former isn't the case and who knows about the latter

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You are a bellwether 😉 l saw a few very pro-Warne posters turning yesterday but you currently top my defection list. We are at a tipping point, and only a few successive wins now I think can save Warne. He probably knows it too.

What are we saving Warne for? 😄

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

You asked me exactly the same question and I gave you a perfectly good answer. Bucko Beast didn't make a 'simplistic' point, but you are. Lets explain again, Clowes hasn't pulled the trigger YET because he gave the guy a 4 year contract, wants to give him time, has a relationship with him and it would cost a lot of money. However those are the same considerations for any owner in this position. More unlikely possibilities though are that Clowes is a very indecisive guy and/or he thinks Warne is doing an acceptable job given the circumstances. I think his move to change Rosenior for Warne suggests the former isn't the case and who knows about the latter

All of the above are really then criticisms of David Clowes:-

You want Warne gone as he's patently doing a crap job but DC doesn't have this viewpoint, so who's opinion is more valid here?

DC is indecisive and won't make a difficult decision, another criticism of him. 

But you've said that you don't want to put up with the crap so what's the answer as IF DC can't afford to bullet Warne then you're going to have to suck it up for another 2.5 years basically.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

But you've said that you don't want to put up with the crap so what's the answer as IF DC can't afford to bullet Warne then you're going to have to suck it up for another 2.5 years basically.

Do you think the fans will keep putting their money into the Club in the same kind of numbers? Do you know that the broadcasting money will be less in league 1 from next season?

Maybe Clowes will decide he can't afford to keep putting money in and will sell up?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What are we saving Warne for? 😄

I wouldn’t, nor would I have appointed him, but I am trying to take a balanced view of where we are at without sufficient knowledge of factors like whether he still has the dressing room, and what the costs are to get rid of him. Who would be a football club saviour?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think the fans will keep putting their money into the Club in the same kind of numbers? Do you know that the broadcasting money will be less in league 1 from next season?

Maybe Clowes will decide he can't afford to keep putting money in and will sell up?

So what's the answer then - DC can't afford to bullet PW so he basically sells the club on passes the problem onto someone else?

8 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Serious question, does anyone know what it would cost Clowes to get rid of Warne and his back room staff?

Unlikely anyone would know the answer to that outside of Clowes & Pearce but its a fair bet that with 35 months left of his contract & with Warne having been lured from a Championship club, it isn't going to be cheap.

David Clowes is a proper businessman though & given his additional background as a pilot, will be very used to managing risk. My suspicion is that Warne's potential exit has been factored into this season's budget - Clowes can't have been impressed with the way we fell away from the playoff spots from March onwards or the playing style & the summer transfer incomings do seem very conservative given the higher than expected turnover from last year's strong season ticket sales & unexpected cup runs. You would also assume Pearce will have discussed 'what if' scenarios with Clowes given his experience of multiple Morris managerial exits & the undoubted expectation on Warne to deliver promotion this season.

Like @i-Ram says, I think Warne has a couple of weeks to save his job - in particular, if we fail to win the 2 games at home against limited opposition, it would surely prove (alongside all the evidence to date) that we are incapable of mounting a credible top 6 push & hence, no further reason to prolong Warne's reign any further.

I'm still pro Warne and that's because of his history which shows he can do it. We can't hire and fire managers on the basis of fan sentiment or we would disappear up our own arses.

Whether he can make it good in time to rescue this season, I don't know. It's not looking great.