Warne Out Out

Birdyabroad

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Your previous comments that the club is “flailing around doing stuff at random” or “sitting around twiddling thumbs”, whilst actively dismissing what employees at the club other than Warne have to say seem to do both the club and yourself a disservice.
There is work being done off the pitch to stabilise and grow the club whilst running sustainably, there is a strategy to invest in and grow the academy, some are keen to argue that the first team not being populated with academy graduates is a problem yet Bird, Sibley, Cashin, Thompson, Rooney, and Knight last season have all played minutes under Warne, Brown and others have been training consistently with the first team.
Have there been opportunities for Warne to give more minutes to young players? Yeah sure there has. Is he completely ignoring the academy? Not in my opinion. Could it be that the challenge of balancing a squad of seasoned pros all drawing a wage at the club has to take some priority in the short term? Could it be that some of those senior pros will move on at the end of the season and allow further opportunities to some of the current academy crop who will have benefitted from spending time building their skills and confidence in their own age groups with the occasional experience around the first team? There are other perspectives and possibilities to consider for me. 

You are of course entitled to your views, I just see it being quite clear there is some work being done on the academy that may well bear fruit in the medium term rather than the short. 

To be fair, I never meant the club is sitting around twiddling their thumbs - that was specifically in reference to another poster effectively saying the only way we ever get to the Prem is if a rich owner throws money at us.  My comment was more of a "what else do you expect us to do, twiddle our thumbs while we wait for that?"  I have no doubt that there is good work being done on the academy side of things, but I think the first team management are effectively working counter to that good work, and until the entire club is pulling in the same direction, it's mostly wasted effort.

I really don't think you can count Bird, Knight and Sibley as youngsters when they've played 100+ games already. And Cashin had already established himself in the first team before Warne got here.  Thompson and Rooney have only ever really been used as last ditch replacements when there's literally nobody else available.

The thing that really winds me up, is that it's not even difficult opportunities that we're missing.  Warne hasn't even had to go out of his way to give minutes to youngsters, there have been opportunities right there in front of him (3-0 up with unused subs, for example) that he hasn't taken.  It's very clear from both what he does and what he says in interviews that he has no intention of really using the academy.

Our metric of ‘successful’ is completely wrong imo. Most of us would have either been much younger (or not even born at all) the last time you could say we were successful. 

If we go up as champions or from sneaking into the play offs and poo-housing the playoffs then it will have the same result for us. We can worry about getting promoted from the championship if/when we get there

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Irrelevant point

It's only irrelevant as the players we got in after the reset weren't to your liking.

Guess we could ask David Clowes to bail on us, we go into administration again then we can get a new set of players hopefully to your liking, if not then rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I can’t help but feel we’re trying to find as many things as possible to slag PW off about (there are plenty of fully justified reasons without searching out half hearted reasons). I agree the comment about formation was a tad unnecessary but I’m sure Dom will get over it. With regard to any fans that may have left, personally I don’t think he was being sarky and I don’t think he was “wittering on”, he made one comment, I’m sure he’s said it before (he may even have said it in this interview, I’ve not listened back to it) that he gets it when/if fans leave before the final whistle. 

I probably am finding stuff to moan about tbf. I've gone from quite liking the bloke to now being completely wound up by everything he says. And the football is generally crap, and we were lucky yesterday. But hey a wins a win. On to Vale.

Warne is under considerable pressure from fans to deliver promotion this season.  I wish he would utilize the academy players more, but also understand his reluctance to do that.  Would it have been wiser to not expect promotion and use the season to develop the younger players to come back much stronger next season, or is it reasonable to expect both?

7 hours ago, winktheram said:

I probably am finding stuff to moan about tbf. I've gone from quite liking the bloke to now being completely wound up by everything he says. And the football is generally crap, and we were lucky yesterday. But hey a wins a win. On to Vale.

That's the key mate..... people will come and go, but we all hope the club will endure.

Warne will be a footnote soon enough. What sort of footnote depends on what he does or achieves.

Boo ……Bobble Hats, Boo….. not playing short corners, Boo….. not interested in youngsters, Boo his interviews being honest and not full of football cliches……Boo….not playing neat and tidy football but losing with the soft underbelly, Boo……being lucky and winning 3 games in a row, Boo….being 6th and not top when we have 25,000 supportive fans turning up each week.

Sorry just felt like this page needed a bit of ramping up again as some of the usual suspects have been incredibly quiet.

And yes I know this is sarky and childish of me - but it’s Monday and I’ve woken up grumpy!!

COYR 🐏

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

Boo ……Bobble Hats, Boo….. not playing short corners, Boo….. not interested in youngsters, Boo his interviews being honest and not full of football cliches……Boo….not playing neat and tidy football but losing with the soft underbelly, Boo……being lucky and winning 3 games in a row, Boo….being 6th and not top when we have 25,000 supportive fans turning up each week.

Sorry just felt like this page needed a bit of ramping up again as some of the usual suspects have been incredibly quiet.

And yes I know this is sarky and childish of me - but it’s Monday and I’ve woken up grumpy!!

COYR 🐏

You need to wake up the other six, it’s time they were off to work ☺️

1 hour ago, Dava75 said:

COYR 🐏

Agree with some of that 😉

29 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Warne Outers: Calling for his head, ignoring mitigating factors, generally bashing the bloke, criticism logical or not.

Also Warne Outers when he makes a snide comment back:image.thumb.png.8063337eea02d26ec3d7d45b37b586c2.png

In my opinion, the criticism of Warne is fully deserved. The results are only just acceptable; the standard of play is sometimes good, but often poor; a couple of players aside, his signings are average at best; his use of the academy is awful; management of players fitness and doing his best to keep them injury free is shockingly bad.
However, there are enough positive signs to keep me clinging to the hope that he can take the club where it needs to be. Other people have different opinions, including those who don't think he is capable of improving, so think it's best to part ways now. That's their justified opinion.

A united club isn't one where the manager comes out with snide remarks, pushing some fans even further away. He should be doing everything he can to prove them wrong and get them back on board. Your comments are just as bad because they're divisive and you gain absolutely nothing from it

On 26/11/2023 at 09:27, Gerry Daly said:

We are getting results now. Maybe performances will improve but I don’t think I have ever felt so little confidence in or interest in a manager or group of players as I do now. I can’t wait to see the back of Collins in particular, I hate him with a passion. But I can’t stand the sight of Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Washington, Waghorn, Forsyth, Mendez Laing and most of all Sonny bloody Bradley. I want to see the lot of them cleared out in the summer and to be honest I won’t cry a river to see Cashin, Bird and Sibley go as well. Bored to tears with the lot of them. A clean start is what we need, just hope it’s with a new manager as well

You hate Collins? Really? Hate? Have you met him, spoken to him? 

You may not rate him as a good player which is fair enough (you're certainly not alone in that respect) but aside from football what has he done for you to express such an extremist view?

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In my opinion, the criticism of Warne is fully deserved. The results are only just acceptable; the standard of play is sometimes good, but often poor; a couple of players aside, his signings are average at best; his use of the academy is awful; management of players fitness and doing his best to keep them injury free is shockingly bad.
However, there are enough positive signs to keep me clinging to the hope that he can take the club where it needs to be. Other people have different opinions, including those who don't think he is capable of improving, so think it's best to part ways now. That's their justified opinion.

A united club isn't one where the manager comes out with snide remarks, pushing some fans even further away. He should be doing everything he can to prove them wrong and get them back on board. Your comments are just as bad because they're divisive and you gain absolutely nothing from it

I kind of get that warne may feel a bit defensive and respond a little to some over the top stuff , the bloke has been with us for 5 minutes , has 3 promotions under his belt and is realistically only a successful if he gets us up , he’s having to put up with slagging off on all kinds of levels from being a fraud and nothing more than a PE teacher , having his personality ripped to shreds when it’s clear he tries to be a decent bloke , having fans scream that his football is shxt and he needs to duck off out our club , see fans screaming at players connor ect ect ect 🤷‍♂️,

So for me good on him to stand his ground , results are all that matter when you boil it all down , I want him to work his backside off to get them and get us up and I don’t want him to be a doormat who swallow s crap and doffs his cap 

17 hours ago, ramit said:

Warne is under considerable pressure from fans to deliver promotion this season.  I wish he would utilize the academy players more, but also understand his reluctance to do that.  Would it have been wiser to not expect promotion and use the season to develop the younger players to come back much stronger next season, or is it reasonable to expect both?

Warne has had a couple of open-goal chances to do both by playing the kids in the matches where we had gone 3 goals ahead but played Collins instead. All it needed was the right gesture, but what we got was two-fingers instead.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This is a hilarious response to a meme ngl 😂

On 26/11/2023 at 09:27, Gerry Daly said:

I can’t wait to see the back of Collins in particular, I hate him with a passion. But I can’t stand the sight of Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Washington, Waghorn, Forsyth, Mendez Laing and most of all Sonny bloody Bradley. I won’t cry a river to see Cashin, Bird and Sibley go as well.

image.png.64b44a61c997818b461afbcb094c5980.png

Really didn't want to get involved in this forum again, as last time it became time consuming however given the criticism around the academy, I thought I'd share my experience and snippets of information having being around it for a number of years.

We are not a "2 club city", our area includes wolves, WBA, Foxes and others, teams use development centres to circumvent the hour catchment. The academy is going through a revamp, but given the lack of results over the years I'm surprised we continue to put in the funding to retain cat 1. PW contrary to opinion is often seen around the training ground, he does know players names, not all of them but it's not his responsibility to do so, the academy has people in place that run it.

I had the joy of attending a Man City session recently, the topic turned to stats and how Pep believes them to mean nothing without context, they are mainly for accountants and they are better served staying in computer games because they dont provide the full story and you can spin them anyway you want to back your opinion. I also smile when PW gets bashed for not backing the academy, why would you give players minutes over established players that are your key players for the season, or returning from injury, for example, that's without even going into contracts that have certain triggers and all the other stuff around that.

An even bigger smile is his failure to bring in youth at Rotherham, once again I'm not sure how a managers responsibility is to bring youth players through in such a short period of time and if the ones you have aren't good enough, why would you play them over your senior players when your chasing promotion ?

Hopefully DC will get the academy producing and hopefully it's as easy as some make out on here, but in my experience it's not. As I alluded to earlier, we have been trying for a good number of years and although we have wonderful facilities, a manager whose remit is to get us out of this division, isn't the gatekeeper for this objective, imo.

Edited by Returning ram
Spelling

2 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Really didn't want to get involved in this forum again, as last time it became time consuming however given the criticism around the academy, I thought I'd share my experience and snippets of information having being around it for a number of years.

We are not a "2 club city", our area includes wolves, WBA, Foxes and others, teams use development centres to circumvent the hour catchment. The academy is going through a revamp, but given the lack of results over the years I'm surprised we continue to put in the funding to retain cat 1. PW contrary to opinion is often seen around the training ground, he does know players names, not all of them but it's not his responsibility to do so, the academy has people in place that run it.

I had the joy of attending a Man City session recently, the topic turned to stats and how Pep believes them to mean nothing without context, they are mainly for accountants and they are better served staying in computer games because they dont provide the full story and you can spin them anyway you want to back your opinion. I also smile when PW gets bashed for not backing the academy, why would you give players minutes over established players that are your key players for the season, or returning from injury, for example, that's without even going into contracts that have certain triggers and all the other stuff around that.

An even bigger smile is his failure to bring in youth at Rotherham, once again I'm not sure how a managers responsibility is to bring youth players through in such a short period of time and if the ones you have aren't good enough, why would you play them over your senior players when your chasing promotion ?

Hopefully DC will get the academy producing and hopefully it's as easy as some make out on here, but in my experience it's not. As I alluded to earlier, we have been trying for a good number of years and although we have wonderful facilities, a manager whose remit is to get us out of this division, isn't the gatekeeper for this objective, imo.

well done good job GIF by America's Got Talent Brilliant post mate, absolutely spot on