Derby v Cambridge Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why are you so angry?

We have 14 points from nine games. We are three points from the play off places with one to two games in hand depending on who plays on the 14th.  It’s not a doomsday scenario.

We are a work in progress. We have 37 games to get things right and it’s clear that Warne is still working on things and trying to achieve the right balance whilst dealing with a squad that has many absentees through injury and many players searching for form or fitness, sometimes both.

Who said anything anywhere about it being acceptable? I think we are all frustrated. We all want better football married with positive results, but there’s no need to react like this.

It’s a long season and we’ll pick up unlikely points and drop nailed on points whoever the manager is.

Genuinely at what point aren't we a work in progress? What points in this division would be unexpected? We've won 2 of the last 13 at home I believe with 11 goals scored. That's really not good enough. I think many fans are starting to have enough of the turgid Warne ball which is being served up. 

5 minutes ago, paintingstandsatderby said:

They came and parked the bus. We dominated and could easily have scored a couple. Waghorn header and numerous chances where a bit more quality and care with the final pass / cross come to mind. Yet there are boos on the final whistle and numerous calling for Warne out. 🤦

Much better performance in my opinion and 3 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. 

Oh for the days when we had the points deduction and a fan base that remained positive and together throughout!

Yep, a much better performance than any other at home but no luck in front of a packed goalmouth. The new guys in midfield and right back have added some defensive steel, but as we all know we lack something up front.

Yes I was frustrated by the end, but that is football when you can’t get it in the net.

A big part of the problem is that a crowd of top Championship/Premiership size and expectations is having to watch budget players of Div 1 standard and the frustration at lack of quality is obvious. But that is where we are at and as with Sunderland, Ipswich etc before us found it may be sometime yet till we find the right balance and escape!

As I recall back in the 80’s when we were down there it was a lucky pen which got us out. For much of the time crowds were half what we get at present and not full of people fed a constant diet of Premiership football to judge the team against. We have to be patient.

34 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

The tactic’s for this team are so one dimensional and that is the problem.

Set pieces: Why do our players stand in a line? Their defenders were actually holding 2 or 3 of ours at a time to stop them moving.

I think we will be more incisive with Bird and Hourihane in the middle and Sibley at 10, Waghorn is not McGoldrick. 

Yes it’s early days still but Warne has got to stop setting us up like Rotherham and more like a side with one of the best squads in League One.

Wash your mouth out with soap and water, young man. How very dare you?

49 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Warne really can’t win with this fan base.

Last week we win 2-0 but that wasn’t good enough because of the way we won. We didn’t have enough possession, enough control and didn’t keep the ball and so on.

This week we try to implement that and it doesn’t quite come off and it’s a frustrating 0-0 and still Warne is dragged across the coals.

We are only three points from the play off places. We are likely to be in the top 6 if we win our game(s) in hand.

Why not let the manager and the team work out these teething problems before we come down so hard on them?

Perhaps because there shouldn’t be this many teething issues when he’s just celebrated his 1 year anniversary 😂

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

But surely one man's "he's still working on things" is another man's "he hasn't got a clue what needs doing"?

Maybe, I guess we will see what Clowes’ view is in the coming days and weeks.

It seems to me fans are desperately craving a managerial change to the point where any sense of perspective is lost.

We all would love to see picture perfect performances and results, but the reality is that it will still be the same group of players until January who have yet to implement any plan particularly well.

We go direct? It’s too chaotic. We keep possession? It’s too slow. We have the ball? In control but no spark. We don’t have the ball? Pathetic.

What’s to say the new manager will do better? What’s to say the new manager won’t have teething problems?

2 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Yep, a much better performance than any other at home but no luck in front of a packed goalmouth. The new guys in midfield and right back have added some defensive steel, but as we all know we lack something up front.

Yes I was frustrated by the end, but that is football when you can’t get it in the net.

A big part of the problem is that a crowd of top Championship/Premiership size and expectations is having to watch budget players of Div 1 standard and the frustration at lack of quality is obvious. But that is where we are at and as with Sunderland, Ipswich etc before us found it may be sometime yet till we find the right balance and escape!

As I recall back in the 80’s when we were down there it was a lucky pen which got us out. For much of the time crowds were half what we get at present and not full of people fed a constant diet of Premiership football to judge the team against. We have to be patient.

I will add that it is our second year out of administration.

If it wasn’t for Rosenior’s little black phone book at the start of last year, we could have dropped like a stone.

4 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

There might be some fans who are swayed by premier league football but I just want to watch a manager squeezing the most out of a squad of players. That doesn’t mean premier league football it just means that every bit of quality in this squad is utilised appropriately and a system/style is implemented that brings out the best in them. 

Performance wise it was much better than we've seen at home. We passed the ball around, looked to open them up and controlled large parts of the game. 

I'm no great fan of his, but it's not Warne's fault Mendez Laing can't control a football when clean through from the half way line, not his fault either than Collins' one-game purple patch lasted, well, one game, or that Waghorn did the near impossible thing of missing the goal with that header. Plus one or two decent if not even gilt edged chances.

I don't think Warne could have done anything other than what he did today, maybe Wilson on earlier. Sibley's set pieces were just as woeful as those which went before him.

Fornah and Nyambe look very good signings. I like a defender who likes to defend. Nelson and Cashin starting to form a strong partnership.

The fact is that without McGoldrick we don't have goals in the team, and it may ultimately cost us dear. 

Had we won 4-0, few people would have argued that was an unfair scoreline. 

Ref was very inconsistent. First half let everything go. Second half totally the opposite, was blowing up for anything and everything, including some very soft ones against us.  

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe, I guess we will see what Clowes’ view is in the coming days and weeks.

It seems to me fans are desperately craving a managerial change to the point where any sense of perspective is lost.

We all would love to see picture perfect performances and results, but the reality is that it will still be the same group of players until January who have yet to implement any plan particularly well.

We go direct? It’s too chaotic. We keep possession? It’s too slow. We have the ball? In control but no spark. We don’t have the ball? Pathetic.

What’s to say the new manager will do better? What’s to say the new manager won’t have teething problems?

If the argument to keep him is that it might be worse then there really is no argument at all.

43 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why are you so angry?

We have 14 points from nine games. We are three points from the play off places with one to two games in hand depending on who plays on the 14th.  It’s not a doomsday scenario.

We are a work in progress. We have 37 games to get things right and it’s clear that Warne is still working on things and trying to achieve the right balance whilst dealing with a squad that has many absentees through injury and many players searching for form or fitness, sometimes both.

Who said anything anywhere about it being acceptable? I think we are all frustrated. We all want better football married with positive results, but there’s no need to react like this.

It’s a long season and we’ll pick up unlikely points and drop nailed on points whoever the manager is.

It's not about the points it's the performances at home and the whole approach being brain dead football Philistein like while also not getting enough wins.

The set up is s*** it's not going to improve much, we have some quality players now Fornah has arrived with Nyambe I think the team is good enough bar maybe a fast striker which could be John Jules. It annoys me even thinking about and writing about how we play, the midfield set up is wrong and we need to play in a more controlled manner that utilises the middle zone of the opposition half and gets players in spaces.

I wouldn't pay him minimum wage to manage my team. He has very limited tactical awareness and plays caveman football that is only acceptable if we are in and round the top 2. Even if we got promoted I'd sack him that's how anti his football and approach.

We have technical players that he doesn't utilise properly, he doesn't give youth a chance, apart from Fornah,Nymabe and Nelson he mainly signs mediocre players and he hasn't even got the pace and power in necessary for his style probably because some players weren't nice enough lads for him.

Edited by Marriot Ram99

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Far more worrying than the result and performance is that he thought we played well.

I think if you asked Cambridge’s manager or centre backs how they would ideally like us to play I doubt they’d have even thought it possible we could be that accommodating 

Tbh I also thought we played well and on another day we could have won the game 3 or 4 to nil.

The stand out chance was Waghorn’s header in the 2nd half. He managed to put it wide when it seemed easier to score. Barkhuisen also had a great chance in the 1st half, plus Collins header in the 2nd half.

I for one feel much more encouraged by today’s performance than any other home game this season.

15 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

This is part of the problem for me. The new right back was signed as a last minute stopgap to replace Rooney, now Warne has figured out we have to play four at the back because he signed the wrong centre backs for the system he planned to play. In the meantime we spent summer signing not one but two right-sided wing backs. They have no obvious place in this new tactical set up.

Fornah was also last minute because it apparently wasn't clear to Warne during the summer that we needed more mobility and steel in midfield.

We didn't add any guile up front, because he didn't see that as a priority either. We signed Washington, who doesn't seem to fit in any system, and Waghorn (almost by accident). 

Its taken a year to hit on the right overall formation and our recruitment this summer was for something else entirely. 

Edited by vonwright

2 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Tbh I also thought we played well and on another day we could have won the game 3 or 4 to nil.

The stand out chance was Waghorn’s header in the 2nd half. He managed to put it wide when it seemed easier to score. Barkhuisen also had a great chance in the 1st half, plus Collins header in the 2nd half.

I for one feel much more encouraged by today’s performance than any other home game this season.

The fact it was much better than any other home game this season is damning in itself

21 minutes ago, Sufferingfool said:

Yep, a much better performance than any other at home but no luck in front of a packed goalmouth. The new guys in midfield and right back have added some defensive steel, but as we all know we lack something up front.Yes I was frustrated by the end, but that is football when you can’t get it in the net.

We had two(?) shots on target, we hardly pounded their goal and their keeper wasn't their M0M. Seriously the play it out wide and cross, rinse repeat was so obvious and so obviously wasn't working. Clueless tactics. 

These players are not Div 1 standard, they are playing in Div 1 at a midtable standard though, although the defence is now much better. That is a really poor attempt at an excuse for Warne's inadequacies.

Edited by RoyMac5