Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

We’ve recently had the latest poll about whether people want Warne to stay or leave. I don’t want to get into the nitty gritty of why you voted the way you did as that’s been done to death on those other threads. 

What I am interested in is what would it take for you to change your mind? Be it someone who still wants him here or someone who wants him gone. 

For me (I think it’s fairly obvious I’ve been really unimpressed so far) I like Warne. I want him to do well. I don’t like the personal jibes at him. For me to warm to him and want him to stay the course it’d take: 

More play going through our good midfield players. 

A flexibility to move away from 5 at the back until he’s sure he has the players with attributes needed to play it well. 

Looking to control the game in key parts of the match rather than the hectic ‘you attack we attack’ ping pong it sometimes feels like. 

And this is the big big one for me, because we will end up in the play offs in my opinion with or without him as it’s a weaker division than last season. The one for me is that I want to see us really take it to and compete with the so called strong teams in the division. 

I know it doesn’t seem like it but I go into every single match with optimism that this is the match that’s going to get us going and going to kick start our season. 

Anyway keep the criticisms to a 0 please and focus on the Q. What would it take for you to change your mind from the answer you gave on the poll? 

Couldn’t this have been asked in one of the half a dozen other threads on Warney 🤣

I'm in the give him till the end of the season camp but I might change my mind if we start to get drawn into a relegation battle which I don't think we will. Not that I'm comparing him at all to Brian Clough but it's worth remembering that in his first season with us we finished lower in the league than the season before and I for one am very happy that the board didn't have a knee jerk response and sack him at that point.

I don’t think it would take too much for me, I like him enough but just get frustrated at the lack of emphasis or thought on situational football. Even at our best, the game is largely a basketball match where the ball is all moving all over the place, the players are spread so far apart from each other and we are absolutely sitting ducks to counter attacks. At our worst, we just can’t control the pace of the game or take the sting out of it. Wildsmith is a god send at times as he’s clever enough to see when we need a break. The football is just played relentlessly, ball into space and a lot of shirts running after it. 

I’m happy for that to be part of our makeup but we need to start controlling games a lot better, suffocate teams and get them moving off the ball aside from us electing to do the running. 

I don’t think it would take too much for me, I like him enough but just get frustrated at the lack of emphasis or thought on situational football. Even at our best, the game is largely a basketball match where the ball is all moving all over the place, the players are spread so far apart from each other and we are absolutely sitting ducks to counter attacks. At our worst, we just can’t control the pace of the game or take the sting out of it. Wildsmith is a god send at times as he’s clever enough to see when we need a break. The football is just played relentlessly, ball into space and a lot of shirts running after it. 

I’m happy for that to be part of our makeup but we need to start controlling games a lot better, suffocate teams and get them moving off the ball aside from us electing to do the running. 

I wonder if anyone thinks that the club will progress forwards without spending money on transfers.

The current squad in my opinion, would be torn to shreds if it was in the Championship.

We have a lot of players who can't handle it in League one.

They are players that their clubs didn't want or were willing to send out on loan.

How often do loan players work out.

The older players came with higher salaries. That pushed up our wage budget.

I wonder if pw would have brought different players to the club during the summer if he had access to a transfer budget.

Pw has promoted a team from league one to the championship on 3 occasions, that's good experience.

Start dictating games especially at home, pick a balanced midfield capable of controlling the game instead of watching the opposition stroll through at ease, play through the midfield instead of over them. We need to cut Warne a bit of slack due to the large amount of injuries, most of the players are now returning to full fitness and when that’s the case we should have the strongest squad in the league, so no excuses. The league this year has got to be one of the worst ever, if we can’t finish top 6 minimum then that’s a serious failure to me!!

Personally I’d like us to be competitive I don’t assume we’ll storm the league but where we currently are heading into October is not good enough. I’ll reiterate my view is if by January we are not at least with a point or two of the play offs then he’ll have to go. I like Warne he talks well but I think personally his oratory skills vastly outweigh his tactically prowess. For me to change my mind he needs to understand the squad better , play players in their most productive positions (even if it means a deviation from his favoured 3-5-2), be competitive against the top teams and show confidence against the so called “weaker” teams.

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

Personally I’d like us to be competitive I don’t assume we’ll storm the league but where we currently are heading into October is not good enough. I’ll reiterate my view is if by January we are not at least with a point or two of the play offs then he’ll have to go. I like Warne he talks well but I think personally his oratory skills vastly outweigh his tactically prowess. For me to change my mind he needs to understand the squad better , play players in their most productive positions (even if it means a deviation from his favoured 3-5-2), be competitive against the top teams and show confidence against the so called “weaker” teams.

Tactical *

Just results and performances. Same with any manager. When Brian Clough was sacked from Leeds he was interviewed on the telly. So what went wrong Brian? He just said 'results' 

I'm much happier with the squad than I was before Fornah was signed. OK so TJJ might be injury prone so that one might not work out, but in him, Fornah, Embleton and now Nyambe we have the younger players added to the squad that will make it very competitive, particularly when we get some more injured players back. So Warne will have no excuses, he has the tools to do the job

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I thought I did that but no worries......

To answer your question no always end of season - we saw last season when we put a string of unbeaten games together how that propelled us up the league so even if we were mid table in January still shed loads of points to be accumulated.

If we were bottom 3 in January then my thoughts would be radically different but Warne would have to seriously cluck up to get into that position and even with my vivid imagination can't see that happening.

I wasn’t clear I was suggesting you had added to the discussion. Reading it back I can see why it wasn’t clear. 

I voted that now us far too early to even think of changing manager, and for me to change that opinion we would have to be very poor indeed (yes, I know that in some/too many of the games we have been but I do think that injuries have had a big influence). However I would like to see us playing our game, not playing "against" the opposition. There are times, Rooney's two seasons for example, where needs are must, but we should be making other teams work out how to play against us and not letting them play their game which is when they are most comfortable. I'm not against the long ball game, if the PASS is played correctly. Hit and hope is another thing.

So basically, I don't think I'll be changing my mind any time soon, but with a few tweaks from Warne I will be feeling far more snug.

I'm not on the Warne out train, not even close.

Results.

Doesn't matter if you're Guardiola or Warne, if we go on a poor run of results, his position would become untenable it's as simple as that.

Whilst they haven't been great, it's not been a disaster either, as of today we're only 3pts off the top 6 with 8 months to play.

You do have to apply some context to the results as well, injuries for example, losing Ward is a major blow to how Warne likes to play.

But yeah, basically poor run of results. 

Every time I watch an interview with him or watch a positive passage of play, I am brought around to giving it more time. So I'm not in a particular camp or another. There are things I really like and things that give me a lot of concern.

At present I'm in the give it until Christmas and reassess camp.

If we are way off the pace at that point and the football is still chaotic and painful to watch, then I think he has to go (and I would think he's the sort of guy to walk)

If we're playing decent football and I can see there's an actual plan, then I'd give it until the end of the season regardless of where we are.

If it's Christmas and we're in the playoffs but the football is still poor, then I would given him until the end of the season.

So I'm summary crap football, crap results = Christmas dismissal.

Anything else and I think we have to give it until the end of the season.

Hopefully with the better players coming back and an acceptance that four at the back is the best platform for these players, then we can improve results and performances.

Unless he gets rid of his inferiority complex, it’s a no from me. Away form looks sound, without pulling up trees. Hope form is awful. Ditch the 5 at the back, and overwhelm teams. 
This looks the easiest League One ever to get out of. 
Just do it. Or go. 

It's all about results. We should be doing much better than we are. The denouement to last season was a catastrophic failure. To change my mind about Warne we need two things: 

* Automatic promotion 

* Challenging in the Championship next seadon

I think 90% of decent managers would have us at least where we are now, or better. He seemed a likeable guy, but to join the ranks of the 90%, Warne must do better. I'd like that to be through trying to play better football.