Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

Very much in the “we need to give a manager a full season and get off the managerial treadmill” mould but obviously there’s got to be a point where results are so bad, that’s no longer feasible.

So my answer would be that results would have to fall off a cliff because, while they’re not great atm, they’re so far away from being poor, it’s ridiculous.

I do honestly think the easy answer is never the best one and I do think many of us are underestimating the damage left by the last regime to the fabric of the club.

That all said, a failure to make the playoffs - or at least be competing for the playoffs - would have to trigger a serious review of everything. Including Warne’s position.

18 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Couldn’t this have been asked in one of the half a dozen other threads on Warney 🤣

I was kind of hoping a match day poll would solve the springing up of countless threads and keep it in one place , with the thread starter changing on the same match day topic basis , oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Very much in the “we need to give a manager a full season and get off the managerial treadmill” mould but obviously there’s got to be a point where results are so bad, that’s no longer feasible.

So my answer would be that results would have to fall off a cliff because, while they’re not great atm, they’re so far away from being poor, it’s ridiculous.

I do honestly think the easy answer is never the best one and I do think many of us are underestimating the damage left by the last regime to the fabric of the club.

That all said, a failure to make the playoffs - or at least be competing for the playoffs - would have to trigger a serious review of everything. Including Warne’s position.

Would a run similar to the one that saw us fall from the play offs last season happening again this year be poor enough form? Or would it take worse than that? 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Would a run similar to the one that saw us fall from the play offs last season happening again this year be poor enough form? Or would it take worse than that? 

Fair question. It would depend on the reason tbh. But I wouldn’t have called that run falling off a cliff either.

4 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Fair question. It would depend on the reason tbh. But I wouldn’t have called that run falling off a cliff either.

Fair enough - I remember when we were comfortably 4th?? Talking to a pal at work and saying “I doubt we’ll get anywhere near to autos from here but it’d take relegation form to end up not finishing in the play offs from here so we’ve at least got a chance there” 

and then we dropped like a stone 😂

For me to change my mind, I want to start seeing performances. I want us to start blowing league 1 teams away. We seem to win despite our performance at the minute. 

Also, January recruitment needs to be much more improved. We have signed 2 lads off the back of injuries who are both, suprise suprise, injured.

A run of wins would nice.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For me to change my mind, I want to start seeing performances. I want us to start blowing league 1 teams away. We seem to win despite our performance at the minute. 

Also, January recruitment needs to be much more improved. We have signed 2 lads off the back of injuries who are both, suprise suprise, injured.

A run of wins would nice.

Sensible post but you need to remember we haven’t paid money for any players 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Sensible post but you need to remember we haven’t paid money for any players 

Whilst this is true I believe we’re offering wages to some of our players than most clubs in this division couldn’t dream of. 

Warne and Pearce said there were no restrictions from the EFL this year and that it was our business plan that was accepted. Warne alluded to using wages on frees to attract a higher number of good quality players rather than signing for money fewer perhaps younger players with quality.

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Whilst this is true I believe we’re offering wages to some of our players than most clubs in this division couldn’t dream of. 

Warne and Pearce said there were no restrictions from the EFL this year and that it was our business plan that was accepted. Warne alluded to using wages on frees to attract a higher number of good quality players rather than signing for money fewer perhaps younger players with quality.

Yes but transfer fees are also important for the selling club mate .

The selling club decisions matter 

I voted not even considering his position originally however I expected us to have clicked more by now but appreciate the difficulty in judging with the injuries. However, the position with Tommo and Rooney reflects my thoughts on PW. He wouldnt have played them at all without injuries to others but they provided some of the only positives this season. Why could he not see that before? Also Waggy right under his nose - not saying he is the answer to our woes but he is doing a job and he was right there presumably trying to rejoin. Sonny Bradley seemed to be PW's landmark summer signing. For those sort of judgement reasons "my not even considering" changed.

I now think, we should rethink at the end Nov/early Dec if we are where we are now out of play-offs and play hasnt improved:

- if we were to change would want anyone new to have some time to work with players ahead of window

- I may be over-sentimental and football isnt like that now but would love it as a fan if our team for promotion was built around Sibley, Bird, Tommo, Rooney and Cashin. I dont think PW has got the best of those players and doesnt play some of them unless forced to. If we can get someone in who may tempt them to sign and get more out of them before they all go that would be one of my main reasons for a change. I dont think PW is that person but appreciate we dont know what is going on behind the scenes and may be a lost cause. 

- if we dont look like having chance to go up this year I see next year differently if PW still there. Also DC is also a fan and will see all the things we see and also the potential financial effects if we dont go up. But he will know who is available as a replacement and who we could afford. 

I would like it to work out for PW.  he looks stressed and generally not really happy this year despite the bravado which I dont wish and like to see with anyone so things pick up all round the club

I expect positive results with the players he has at his disposal. I want to see much much less of the hopeful balls forward, more passing to each other and retaining the ball. I want to see football and us building for the future, something he hasn’t seemed to ever do previously. 
I suspect that it will take the current owner selling the club though. 

Edited by bcnram

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Then if we really wanted them you know we could pay fees. Are you suggesting we're settling for second best and recruiting 'ordinary' players?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Then if we really wanted them you know we could pay fees. Are you suggesting we're settling for second best and recruiting 'ordinary' players?

I’m suggesting we have a good squad started by Rosenior and carried on by Warne .

I’ve just watched the highlights and James Collins did great .

Do you think Carlisle would lie down for Derby.

Of course they wouldn’t 

It’s their Cup Final playing the likes of Derby .

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I voted not even considering his position originally however I expected us to have clicked more by now but appreciate the difficulty in judging with the injuries. However, the position with Tommo and Rooney reflects my thoughts on PW. He wouldnt have played them at all without injuries to others but they provided some of the only positives this season. Why could he not see that before? Also Waggy right under his nose - not saying he is the answer to our woes but he is doing a job and he was right there presumably trying to rejoin. Sonny Bradley seemed to be PW's landmark summer signing. For those sort of judgement reasons "my not even considering" changed.

I now think, we should rethink at the end Nov/early Dec if we are where we are now out of play-offs and play hasnt improved:

- if we were to change would want anyone new to have some time to work with players ahead of window

- I may be over-sentimental and football isnt like that now but would love it as a fan if our team for promotion was built around Sibley, Bird, Tommo, Rooney and Cashin. I dont think PW has got the best of those players and doesnt play some of them unless forced to. If we can get someone in who may tempt them to sign and get more out of them before they all go that would be one of my main reasons for a change. I dont think PW is that person but appreciate we dont know what is going on behind the scenes and may be a lost cause. 

- if we dont look like having chance to go up this year I see next year differently if PW still there. Also DC is also a fan and will see all the things we see and also the potential financial effects if we dont go up. But he will know who is available as a replacement and who we could afford. 

I would like it to work out for PW.  he looks stressed and generally not really happy this year despite the bravado which I dont wish and like to see with anyone so things pick up all round the club

It’s not as simple as playing Thompson week in week out he had calf issues during the Fleetwood game and he’s now got a different injury .

Young players have to be protected 

PS You definitely are over sentimental 

Edited by Curtains
Added

18 minutes ago, Curtains said:

My understanding is that we could have spent fees but Warne felt he could get more quality in through the door by opting for higher wages and free transfers. 

For example: he probably sees the £500k a season it costs to have a player on a £10k per week deal (over 2 years) as being better than a younger player on only £4k per week but with a £600k fee paid. Same chunk of the budget used but getting players in different places in their careers. 

Id have rather 90% of our business was like the latter building a young hungry squad that’ll grow in value but I understand the feeling of here and now that has lead to getting established experience in. 

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I’m suggesting we have a good squad started by Rosenior and carried on by Warne .

I’ve just watched the highlights and James Collins did great .

Do you think Carlisle would lie down for Derby.

Of course they wouldn’t 

It’s their Cup Final playing the likes of Derby .

So we have good players, why is the football so poor?

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

It’s not as simple as playing Thompson week in week out he had calf issues during the Fleetwood game and he’s now got a different injury .

Young players have to be protected 

Really I never knew. At no point whatsoever did I say play Thomson or the young players week in week out. A promotion team built around developing them with a good manager would take their age and not burning them out into account. Off to do Sunday stuff