Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

4 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

At this stage, I'm not convinced we're any better this season than we were last. I think Warne has been quite conservative in his signings, we still lack pace in the team and with the exception of Fornah, not sure many of the new players have much potential to improve further.

So you think Nelson isn’t an improvement on Davies !

Do you think Ward is an improvement ! 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Load of rubbish 

Are you agreeing with me about the playing style, or is that the extent of your constructive response to my opinion?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Less irritating interviews !

Whats wrong with them !

Just to be clear: I threw this in at the end a little playfully. I don't care because I can just not watch them (harder to say that about the playing style).

But since you asked, in my opinion, the PW interviews since day one have given too much encouragement for waffle and personal indulgence. I get it that these are the club's interviews, so he's not going to be getting a grilling demanding that he justify his decisions. That's fair enough. But managers can (and I think the majority still do) say in one minute what PW says in five. This is encouraged because the club's media has tried to build up this image of Warne as some sort of a guru who "builds a culture". That is more tolerable when either performances or results (and ideally both) are really good.

To repeat: this is my opinion. I never used to watch many interviews by Rowett, Lampard etc. and to be honest I don't know if we even did club video interviews much before those days. Cocu's were more professional, though not necessarily riveting. Rooney's were surprisingly not bad given his, er, limitations. Rosenior's were OK although he talked a bit too much in sweeping philosophies which seemed a bit in advance of where he was up to experience-wise at the time. It's not that Warne isn't a nice bloke - I'm quite sure he is - it's that the interviews emphasise an image of our club's manager which I'm not particularly interested in.

12 minutes ago, jameso said:

Just to be clear: I threw this in at the end a little playfully. I don't care because I can just not watch them (harder to say that about the playing style).

But since you asked, in my opinion, the PW interviews since day one have given too much encouragement for waffle and personal indulgence. I get it that these are the club's interviews, so he's not going to be getting a grilling demanding that he justify his decisions. That's fair enough. But managers can (and I think the majority still do) say in one minute what PW says in five. This is encouraged because the club's media has tried to build up this image of Warne as some sort of a guru who "builds a culture". That is more tolerable when either performances or results (and ideally both) are really good.

To repeat: this is my opinion. I never used to watch many interviews by Rowett, Lampard etc. and to be honest I don't know if we even did club video interviews much before those days. Cocu's were more professional, though not necessarily riveting. Rooney's were surprisingly not bad given his, er, limitations. Rosenior's were OK although he talked a bit too much in sweeping philosophies which seemed a bit in advance of where he was up to experience-wise at the time. It's not that Warne isn't a nice bloke - I'm quite sure he is - it's that the interviews emphasise an image of our club's manager which I'm not particularly interested in.

It's the way it feels like nigh-on every interview with anyone at the club has to come with a loaded question referencing Warne's character, where the interviewee is almost forced to say something nice about him that does for me. Proper propaganda.

Edited by Kokosnuss

More than anything, I want to see a manager making good decisions.  I want him to have a clear idea of how he wants the team to play, and go about making that happen.  I want players being given jobs to do that they are capable of doing.  I want to see signs that the manager understands what is happening on the pitch and that he makes decisions that affect it.  I want to see signs that the manager knows what players are good and bad at, and he sets out to maximise the first and minimise the last. And so on and so on.

I think if you are doing all of that stuff reasonably well, then performances will follow.  And if you are putting in good performances, then results will follow that. If you are purely chasing "he needs to win X of the next Y games" or "be in Nth place by Christmas", then it's all just built on sand.  Results like Saturday are going to do nothing to sway my thinking, because I have no faith that we will be able to repeat it on a consistent basis.

On 24/09/2023 at 05:03, EssendonRam said:

Very much in the “we need to give a manager a full season and get off the managerial treadmill” mould but obviously there’s got to be a point where results are so bad, that’s no longer feasible.

So my answer would be that results would have to fall off a cliff because, while they’re not great atm, they’re so far away from being poor, it’s ridiculous.

I do honestly think the easy answer is never the best one and I do think many of us are underestimating the damage left by the last regime to the fabric of the club.

That all said, a failure to make the playoffs - or at least be competing for the playoffs - would have to trigger a serious review of everything. Including Warne’s position.

Have results not fallen of a cliff since february? 

If you take care of the performances, the results will follow. It seems like warne is trying to do that the wrong way round.

The last regime being rosenior and rooney who got us playing decent stuff and fighting for everything on the pitch, whilst also creating a real unity in the squad. Warne has ruined the 'playing decent stuff' bit and we also seem worse in terms of fighting for everything and unity in the squad. I think the damage done by mel obviously has some affect in the background running of the club still, but nearly all the players are new and have no experience of those days. 

With the size of our club, playing squad, training facilities, quality of the division this season, etc, etc. Anything other than top 2 should be regarded as a failure this season. 

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Have results not fallen of a cliff since february? 

If you take care of the performances, the results will follow. It seems like warne is trying to do that the wrong way round.

The last regime being rosenior and rooney who got us playing decent stuff and fighting for everything on the pitch, whilst also creating a real unity in the squad. Warne has ruined the 'playing decent stuff' bit and we also seem worse in terms of fighting for everything and unity in the squad. I think the damage done by mel obviously has some affect in the background running of the club still, but nearly all the players are new and have no experience of those days. 

With the size of our club, playing squad, training facilities, quality of the division this season, etc, etc. Anything other than top 2 should be regarded as a failure this season. 

I agree with you but I would also say that it was easier for R&R to help the players feel it was all of them against the world; for Warne the truth he'd be telling his players is that it's all of League One against Derby (the big fish) so therefore we'd better go back at them harder than they're planning to come at us!

There hopefully is the real unity in the current squad that is often referred to - it's just that when I imagine that now it looks less like diving in front of your mate to take a bullet and more like crying at each others' baby showers.

2 hours ago, jameso said:

He comes across to me as someone who cares.   That’s was really the rubbish bit.  Sorry about that.  
Your posts are incite full and it’s fair opinion.   I just like Warne to be honest. He’s certainly not a big head is he. 
I think he’s sometimes too honest to be honest lol 😂 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He comes across to me as someone who cares.   That’s was really the rubbish bit.  Sorry about that.  
Your posts are incite full and it’s fair opinion.   I just like Warne to be honest. He’s certainly not a big head is he. 

Thanks - I appreciate that. I know it's a cliche but it would be boring if we all agreed! Warne definitely has some good features (and he does seem a genuinely nice chap) and I respect the fact that you see a lot more positives than negatives in what he has to offer 👍

I do hope he succeeds!

Just now, jameso said:

Thanks - I appreciate that. I know it's a cliche but it would be boring if we all agreed! Warne definitely has some good features (and he does seem a genuinely nice chap) and I respect the fact that you see a lot more positives than negatives in what he has to offer 👍

I do hope he succeeds!

I realised this morning my answer was curse .I saw your reply but had to go out. 
End of the day we all want Derby to win and play well.  
I suppose we all get frustrated at times even Paul Warne. 
One thing I’m sure of is the players are giving 100 percent. 
Style of play is subjective and opinions will always differ   
Arsenal under George Graham could be boring but they won loads 

37 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I agree he is too 'honest' he has no qualms about saying things about the players that he shouldn't. He normally post-phrases things with a 'it's not meant to be anything bad' type comment. Why doesn't he just keep quiet? Likes to share the blame around I guess.

19 minutes ago, jameso said:

I do hope he succeeds!

Just to be clear I did mean insightful.

It’s a wonder I ever passed CSE English at school.  
It was a secondary school 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree he is too 'honest' he has no qualms about saying things about the players that he shouldn't. He normally post-phrases things with a 'it's not meant to be anything bad' type comment. Why doesn't he just keep quiet? Likes to share the blame around I guess.

I do agree sometimes it would be better that way.  
Managers are put on the spot though after games and sometimes say things they regret.   They all do it to a certain extent. 

By this time last year, when he was fired, Rosenior had taken his ragtag squad of people that had barely met each other in mid July up to 7th in the league. Not given time to gel and to develop as a squad. 

Replaced by someone who apparently knows this league. A year later, with players this manager wants, we are 2 places worse off.

How is Warne still in a job? Is it just that we can't afford to get rid? Are there any other criteria that applied to Rosenioe but not to Warne?

11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

By this time last year, when he was fired, Rosenior had taken his ragtag squad of people that had barely met each other in mid July up to 7th in the league. Not given time to gel and to develop as a squad. 

Replaced by someone who apparently knows this league. A year later, with players this manager wants, we are 2 places worse off.

How is Warne still in a job? Is it just that we can't afford to get rid? Are there any other criteria that applied to Rosenioe but not to Warne?

Rosenior was a temporary appointment by David Clowes and he would always have wanted his own man I would assume 

Relegation league one is and always was going to be a disaster especially with the added addition of shambolic business shenanigans adding to the already dissolutioned squad and the mix was toxic to say the least.Step up Warne an experienced battler in this league however he was  hamstrung with a tiny squad ,some of those remaining obviously  itching to get away and one or two patently not fit for purpose,not to mention the transfer embargo and no free cash anyway and so you really do have a worst case scenario. The season so far has been dissapointing thus far we have been able to add players  but come on let's be realistic it is a pig of a league to get out of compound this  with having to deal with our opponents giving it all as we are seen as a big scalp .Warne is not noted for his style he is respected because he has a record of getting promotions and l for one do not care how we achieve victories l just want points and promotion out of this goddam league.If you want scintillating football go watch Man City as its not going to happen in league one that's for sure .That's not to say if we scrap and get promotion, funds increase giving us the chance to compete for good players things will not improve ,they will but we are in for a long hard ,frustrating slog of a season and who is to say there is another manager out there who could guarantee instant success.

Edited by old tray boy

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Was Rosenoir actually fired?