Warne: what would it take?

IlsonDerby

We’ve recently had the latest poll about whether people want Warne to stay or leave. I don’t want to get into the nitty gritty of why you voted the way you did as that’s been done to death on those other threads. 

What I am interested in is what would it take for you to change your mind? Be it someone who still wants him here or someone who wants him gone. 

For me (I think it’s fairly obvious I’ve been really unimpressed so far) I like Warne. I want him to do well. I don’t like the personal jibes at him. For me to warm to him and want him to stay the course it’d take: 

More play going through our good midfield players. 

A flexibility to move away from 5 at the back until he’s sure he has the players with attributes needed to play it well. 

Looking to control the game in key parts of the match rather than the hectic ‘you attack we attack’ ping pong it sometimes feels like. 

And this is the big big one for me, because we will end up in the play offs in my opinion with or without him as it’s a weaker division than last season. The one for me is that I want to see us really take it to and compete with the so called strong teams in the division. 

I know it doesn’t seem like it but I go into every single match with optimism that this is the match that’s going to get us going and going to kick start our season. 

Anyway keep the criticisms to a 0 please and focus on the Q. What would it take for you to change your mind from the answer you gave on the poll? 

Just to be in or around the automatic places and looking like playoffs is pretty much a given.  That would be par for the course with this squad in my opinion.   The football doesn't have to be good, just reasonably successful.

If we're not in the playoff places by say mid November I'd change my mind and want him to go.

Edited by Blondest Goat

To try and add a bit of balance to the predictable preceding posts I've always thought that not reaching the playoffs at the end of this season would be catastrophic for Mr Warne.

I'm all for tangible progress and despite the tedious threads about what has Warne achieved in his past year if he didn't generate an improved final league position relative to last year then this would make me seriously consider his position at the club. 

That's just reaching the playoffs, if we performed abjectly in them after managing to reach them then this again would present a huge question mark for me. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

To try and add a bit of balance to the predictable preceding posts I've always thought that not reaching the playoffs at the end of this season would be catastrophic for Mr Warne.

I'm all for tangible progress and despite the tedious threads about what has Warne achieved in his past year if he didn't generate an improved final league position relative to last year then this would make me seriously consider his position at the club. 

That's just reaching the playoffs, if we performed abjectly in them after managing to reach them then this again would present a huge question mark for me. 

The intention was that people would give genuine thought to what would cause them to change their minds rather than cheap digs so a shame if some have used it as a chance to criticise on this particular thread but hopefully others like you (and my original post) can add to a discussion to see what it is we really want from our team/club/manager by focussing on what would cause us to change our minds. 

Would you feel like you’re going to give the whole season or would you see yourself changing your mind if say by January we just look well off the pace? Is it important he gets the full season to you? 

For me, there are two questions:

1) Am I fan of his footballing style? No. What would it take to change my mind? Same answers as you - more flexible approach, better use of the midfield and looking to control games.

2) Do I want him to be kept on? Yes (at the moment). What would it take to change my mind? Dropping down toward the relegation zone (I’m not sure yet how low we’d have to be and that is partly dependent on how far through the season we are. For example, say by the end of October, we’d have to be several places lower than we are now for me to want to see him gone. However, if we’re still sitting 12th or thereabouts by the end of the season (maybe even by Xmas) I’d probably change my opinion).

18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

So at least a year and a half!

There's not really much in the short term that can (positively) change my opinion from hovering between being on the verge of having had enough and perpetually giving it a few more months.

We saw last season how there's no point in getting carried away with a good run here and there, some big wins, a handful of matches where we produce attractive football against weak teams etc, the proof is in what happens and where we are when the final whistle blows in the final game of the season.

In taking a wider view of what it would take for a full turnaround on my opinion of him as a football manager then, yes, it'll be some time yet!

tbh even promotion and survival in itself may not be enough to totally eradicate any misgivings (that's not to say it wouldn't be considered a very good achievement) as ideally there would be better integration of the academy, clear evidence of tactical growth and we would stay up not simply by scrapping it out as the underdog for 46 games a season.

You can't ask for everything all at once though, and have to accept that even very good managers have their limitations and blind spots, they can't be everything to everyone (although I think maybe there's an element of this in Warne which may actually be holding him back?)

Getting us promoted (whenever it happens) would be a great start, of course, but it's also the minimum requirement for defining his time as Derby manager as a success. 

Without first achieving that, I don't really see how he changes my opinion.

25 minutes ago, richinspain said:

It was a joke, but like all of us you have your ideas and are pretty much going to stick to them until something drastically changes them. No offence meant in any way, hence the 😘.

I missed the joke, but you are of course correct, no offence taken. 🙂 I really wanted it to work with Warne, it seemed he deserved his chance at a 'big' club. Anyway sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The intention was that people would give genuine thought to what would cause them to change their minds rather than cheap digs so a shame if some have used it as a chance to criticise on this particular thread but hopefully others like you (and my original post) can add to a discussion to see what it is we really want from our team/club/manager by focussing on what would cause us to change our minds. 

Would you feel like you’re going to give the whole season or would you see yourself changing your mind if say by January we just look well off the pace? Is it important he gets the full season to you? 

I thought I did that but no worries......

To answer your question no always end of season - we saw last season when we put a string of unbeaten games together how that propelled us up the league so even if we were mid table in January still shed loads of points to be accumulated.

If we were bottom 3 in January then my thoughts would be radically different but Warne would have to seriously cluck up to get into that position and even with my vivid imagination can't see that happening.

Edited by Tyler Durden