How would you feel if Mac returned again?

oldtimeram

He’s got unfinished business at Derby, but you will find he is a bit like marmite on this forum, with some unable to forgive his Toon love in and lack of plan B. Personally I feel there are players in this squad who would excel with his coaching ability. Would rather see him back as coach alongside a manager. Would be great but won’t happen.

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He’s got unfinished business at Derby, but you will find he is a bit like marmite on this forum, with some unable to forgive his Toon love in and lack of plan B. Personally I feel there are players in this squad who would excel with his coaching ability. Would rather see him back as coach alongside a manager. Would be great but won’t happen.

Who is manager alongside Paul Warne coach? But I can't see why Mac would want to leave Man Utd unfinished business or not.

Time for Colin, everyone would know he's here on a mission and needn't be thought of long term. He knows what he's doing and has been successful at more than League 1 and more than Rotherham. 

Sign me up. The best football we've played in years, took the game to whoever we were playing, no matter who it was. As @hintonsboots mentioned, it could be argued he lacked a plan B quite often, but I'll take a manager who at least has a plan A over the current manager's approach.

I reckon we've got the players to have a decent 4-3-3 setup as well, provided we avoid a lot of injuries to wingers. And I'd love to see how someone like Sibley would do in a much more attacking team with a bit more freedom.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Sign me up. The best football we've played in years, took the game to whoever we were playing, no matter who it was. As @hintonsboots mentioned, it could be argued he lacked a plan B quite often, but I'll take a manager who at least has a plan A over the current manager's approach.

I reckon we've got the players to have a decent 4-3-3 setup as well, provided we avoid a lot of injuries to wingers. And I'd love to see how someone like Sibley would do in a much more attacking team with a bit more freedom.

I think Warne has a Plan A. Even Eddie the Eagle probably had a Plan A. But his involved spending less time in the air than the ball does in Warne's Plan A.

The real issue is that Plan A isn't proving particularly effective and is dreadful to watch.

But I keep being suckered into the notion that when all of our crocked players return we might be better at playing Plan A and then we can win some games and tell ourselves it's worth it.

Sorry - this response doesn't really belong here. McClaren isn't coming back though. So to answer the thread question: surprised.

I often think about Mac 1. How it tainted us as fans. A perfect storm. 
Clough had assembled a squad but couldn’t get a tune out of it. SM plus Simmo and Eric Steele were a perfect mix of high end experience and old player club affinity. 
3-0 down at home (against Ipswich?) and we came back to draw 4-4 after he had a word at half time despite not actually having started the job yet. That started a run of games and a moment in time that was certainly my best experience being a rams fan since the late 90’s. 
If they scored 3 you’ll be damn sure we’ll score 4. 
I haven’t seen players play with that sense of freedom and fun before or since. They could intuit each others positioning and know their roles instinctively.

What I’d do to have a bit of that right now 

but I don’t think he’d have the same effect now we’re in League one - it’s a different kettle of crabs. And it’s not like he’s done much elsewhere. 
I’m still up for giving Warne time, despite how messy we were on Saturday. I think he deserves until Christmas - but that’s to turn things around and give us a style/formation/identity. If he can’t do that then I’d love someone to come in and do a Mac 1. But I’m not sure that’s Mac himself. 🙏🏽

This thread, together with others where names are being suggested as a potential replacement for Warne, is becoming more and more bizarre. Steve McLaren, Warnock - who next, Billy Davies?

No way do I see David Clowes considering a change, at least not this side of Christmas and even if he did, it won't be with managers well past their sell-by date.

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

I cant remember .. too much water under the bridge but was the 2nd time when he refused to put the newcatle link to bed and made his position untenable at the club 

No, that was Mac 1.

Mac 2 was more defensive, not as much fun. Julian De Sart and a 3-0 defeat at Brighton was how it ended. No where near as good as Mac 1, more cautious. One decent run and then the usual wheels came off when he had to react to a bad spell. He couldn’t turn it round. Move on folks!