How would you feel if Mac returned again?

oldtimeram

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I get the sense ur a mac fan roy lol

my memory of mac 2 was that with lesser players it just wasnt as good ..

and was too easy to play against.. stop the quarter back.. jullian de saart stop us playing.

most teams figured it out pretty quickly i seem to remember. 

Id rather try simmo personally if we had to change

He took over from Nigel Pearson. 

Lowest scorers in the country if I remember correctly. Went from bottom to brief play off flirt before getting dumped for Rowett. 

I think it's a nostalgic pipe dream to mention him though. But I do remember the constant criticism from some. Including when Derby were setting club records. "Is this team good enough for the Premiership?!"

The relief when Paul Clement came in with his talk of having different strategies for whoever the opponent was

I guess some fans were right. Derby will never go up with a clown like Mac and a donkey like Keogh. Better off without, as we can see. 

Mel saw the lack of honour in McClaren. And Mel wouldn't stand for such shady behaviour

Glad I enjoyed it at the time when people wanted to moan. Good old Ninos. 🤣

Edited by Alpha

11 hours ago, enachops said:

No, that was Mac 1.

Mac 2 was more defensive, not as much fun. Julian De Sart and a 3-0 defeat at Brighton was how it ended. No where near as good as Mac 1, more cautious. One decent run and then the usual wheels came off when he had to react to a bad spell. He couldn’t turn it round. Move on folks!

He steered us well clear of the troubles he found us in, for us into a position probably higher than our depleted squad at the time warranted and then when it came undone was sacked after laughing with Brighton gaffer at 3-0 down. 

Not a pretty end but you missed out where he took us from in your assessment 

53 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’d bring Nigel Clough back.

Then let Mac take over when we are midtable in the Championship with a squad full of 20-25 year old footballers with decent technical ability.

The dream scenario is to bring Nigel Clough back as a director of football. 

I’d have him back as manager. 
At least I know his ‘good characters’ could play a bit of football. 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just watching Burnley score against F*rest I think they are playing football but no-one has slung the ball out into the channels to be aimlessly crossed. So I don't know what is happening.

We'd play football under Mac. I want to be able to watch other teams and not feel jealous of the way they play.

Burnley spent around 100 million on transfers this summer on top of a squad that ran away with the Championship, just as an FYI. 

8 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

I get the sense ur a mac fan roy lol

my memory of mac 2 was that with lesser players it just wasnt as good ..

and was too easy to play against.. stop the quarter back.. jullian de saart stop us playing.

most teams figured it out pretty quickly i seem to remember. 

Id rather try simmo personally if we had to change

It was players not quite suited if you like, and no transfer window, but just as importantly they had little to play for once relegation was avoided. I thought Mac & Simmo was better than Mac & Powell though too.

13 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

The football was better under McClaren and if he returned I think we would fair far better.  

What are your thoughts on him coming back to try and rescue this season?

He was great under Mac 1 then Mac 2 came along which seemed somewhat confusing. His biggest problem was when we gave him some money to spend and a few show ponies started to arrive. Yes he can put a team out to play football no matter what but it gets harder when actual footballers start to leave.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Dunno, ask some of the other teams we've played in League 1.

No side in league 1 plays as well as Burnley, the Premier League side you tried to compare us to. We play comparably rubbish football like every other side in this league, hence why we're in it. 

Edited by Andicis

The nostalgia-addicted fan in me would love it.

But in reality the foundations that Nigel Clough built, which Mac transformed, are now all but gone and there'd be no guarantee he could have the same impact with this group of players.

Also, probably best to just move on and let the past be the past, as much as it pains me to say.

It would genuinely make more sense to bring Nigel Clough back, though that would have people ripping up season tickets in some cases, i'd imagine. 

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No side in league 1 plays as well as Burnley, the Premier League side you tried to compare us to. We play comparably rubbish football like every other side in this league, hence why we're in it. 

Lol. Where did I say 'as well as' a Premier League side? Oh and the player I was enjoying watching was someone said from Liga 2 for £2.5m.

Every other team in this League does not play rubbish football, it's just played at a different level but you can't see that?

47 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Burnley spent around 100 million on transfers this summer on top of a squad that ran away with the Championship, just as an FYI. 

Wasn’t Mac allowed to bring in some expensive loan players ? (Clough built the core of the team). Wouldn’t take Mac back because of the way he had his “Head Turned” by Newcastle and dumped us.

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wasn’t Mac allowed to bring in some expensive loan players ? (Clough built the core of the team). Wouldn’t take Mac back because of the way he had his “Head Turned” by Newcastle and dumped us.

So, besides the fact he didn't 'dump us' you wouldn't want a manager that was wanted by a Prem team? Clough is doing well now isn't he.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is manager alongside Paul Warne coach? But I can't see why Mac would want to leave Man Utd unfinished business or not.

Time for Colin, everyone would know he's here on a mission and needn't be thought of long term. He knows what he's doing and has been successful at more than League 1 and more than Rotherham. 

Colin? Why would you want that foul mouthed geriatric?