Match Thread: vs Bolton (A)

Rampant

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Bolton have had 73% possession for this they have scored a penalty and Derby have scored an own goal.

Yep. Makes you wonder what might have happened if we'd set up to have some possession of our own? 

Maybe they'd have still got their two but we might have had three or four ourselves. 

Warne does give the opposition too much respect, imo.

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What did he say?

He was actually really good as a pundit - he clearly understood what was going on in the pitch and was eloquent explaining it.  Well worth a listen back.

The gist off it was, he’d talked quite a bit pre-match about how other teams had beaten Bolton recently - played a wide front 3 to stretch their back 3 and pick holes in it - and was baffled that we hadn’t really tried to do the same.  A fair bit about players not being able to do the jobs they were asked to do too - Fornah as a number 10, NML as a wingback etc.  It could just be me being my usual negative self, but I think he was pretty shocked about the whole way we approached the match and was biting his tongue, because he didn’t want to be too rude about Warne.

Pretty underwhelming today, think Bolton were ok but not a great side by any means.

We’re not good to watch at all are we. Really struggling to see why the wing back/five at the back idea is even considered at this point. We always look worse playing that. Seems to leave us really deep and no pace to break forward. we have very little movement either. 

smith at right back might be an idea, is struggling in midfield. Fornah, hourihane and embleton might be a way forward.

Washington had little to work with but genuinely not sure he did a single positive thing today.

not our best day.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

You love a Rams defeat don’t you

Far from it. I’d absolutely love nothing more than Warne to make me look like a mug. I’ll wipe that egg off my face with glee. I love this club and want the best for it. At the minute the management team isn’t getting the best out of the players, in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Let’s see where we are after 20-25 games.

It has been an unconvincing start to the season, but there’s no need to hit the panic button. Warne has two weeks now to take stock and hopefully pinpoint and work on issues. We are four points off the top, not fourteen. We have forty games to course correct, not four. Let’s not overreact.

The concerns over the performances and the style of play are valid, but equally the side isn’t settled in any way and evidently that makes performing fluently more difficult.

Injuries, suspensions, players new and old struggling to blend, some players desperately struggling for fitness and form, and of course game changing lapses by officials and experienced players - there are a multitude of issues that are hitting us hard all at once.

What can we truly read into six league games? One week, everything goes for us, the next nothing does. We need a bigger sample size and we need a more settled XI and more coherent and consistent set up before we can judge. Could this side look different with a back four and Fornah, Embleton and Thompson in midfield, for instance?

People want to press the eject button before a squad with 11 new signings and a manager 12 months into the job and still working things out genuinely finds true synergy.

Comparing us to Bolton, where Evatt has been in charge for three years and has been able to tweak and improve the team year on year, is pointless. The circumstances are completely different.

We need to give it time.

Post of the day 🤛 chopping and changing don't work, there's no magic wand or a McLaren/clough scenario

Last week it was hms piss the league now it's warne ain't got a clue again 🙄

53 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It has been an unconvincing start to the season, but there’s no need to hit the panic button. Warne has two weeks now to take stock and hopefully pinpoint and work on issues. We are four points off the top, not fourteen. We have forty games to course correct, not four. Let’s not overreact.

The concerns over the performances and the style of play are valid, but equally the side isn’t settled in any way and evidently that makes performing fluently more difficult.

Injuries, suspensions, players new and old struggling to blend, some players desperately struggling for fitness and form, and of course game changing lapses by officials and experienced players - there are a multitude of issues that are hitting us hard all at once.

What can we truly read into six league games? One week, everything goes for us, the next nothing does. We need a bigger sample size and we need a more settled XI and more coherent and consistent set up before we can judge. Could this side look different with a back four and Fornah, Embleton and Thompson in midfield, for instance?

People want to press the eject button before a squad with 11 new signings and a manager 12 months into the job and still working things out genuinely finds true synergy.

Comparing us to Bolton, where Evatt has been in charge for three years and has been able to tweak and improve the team year on year, is pointless. The circumstances are completely different.

We need to give it time.

Agree to some extent but this is why I'm a bit concerned 

I think if you gave PW say 3-4 gifted players who could make a difference it won't matter as we don't go out to control a game 

With good players you want them to make a difference and without the ball how does this happen ?

The best players in the world would be in-effective if everytime we got the ball we looked to play percentage football 

I know this is old hat but when Mac got Clough's players playing some great attacking , non percentage football I always thought we were in the game even if we went 1-0 down.

A good example of this was Brighton away in the first leg of the playoff

Brighton went 1-0 up yet we didn't panic played our game and got back into it and deservedly won 

My big fear is good, decent players are being nullified to an extent because we are not looking to play football through the thirds and today most succesful sides do try and play football even in division 3

I get a bit embarrased at times witnessing how we play when we have some good players and would like to see us overloading areas of the pitch and opening teams up with good quick passing and moving 

I am now very 50/50 on PW a bloke I like and want him to succeed but when some rightly say we now have 2 weeks to work on things ...what exactly are we going to work on ?

Not keeping the ball and a bit of possesion and dragging teams out of shape ? as I don't see much evidence that is Warne's style

I just wish DC had got a manager who likes to play the game in a nicer fashion .....I still think most teams who have more of the ball tend to have more chance of winning 

Edited by S8TY

57 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don't think DC was making a footballing decision at all. I think he was advised that he needed an established management team with a proven track record of success. Which Warne has. 

I’m not saying it was a good decision but I think that was the rationale

That sounds like a footballing decision to me. As a fan who knows the club and the fanbase so well, I'm almost certain he would have factored in style/substance/philosophy into his decision making. Otherwise why offer 4 years? I don't see how you can make such major decisions without doing so.

Give PW until Christmas and review.

We won’t go down so we lose little by waiting. If we’re nowhere come the end of the year then see who else is about, get them in and then they’ll have the January window to do a little wheeling and dealing, and the rest of the season to shape the team how they want to play. Wheel and deal in the summer and then hit the ground running next season.

I want to believe that something will suddenly click but I’m not convinced. People are a lot more tolerant of poor football if you’re winning, but poor football and poor results and the writings on the wall.

Edited by StaffsRam

1 minute ago, Archie said:

That sounds like a footballing decision to me. As a fan who knows the club and the fanbase so well, I'm almost certain he would have factored in style/substance/philosophy into his decision making. Otherwise why offer 4 years? I don't see how you can make such major decisions without doing so.

I just don’t see how it could have been though. It’s obvious that the squad we had last season couldn’t do full-on WarneBall (no wingbacks, no mobile midfielders etc).  And even after a bunch of signings this season, we’re still struggling to do it (the financial restrictions were always going to make it difficult to radically change the entire squad).  So did we intend Warne struggling through 2+ seasons while we got him the squad he wants? Did we intend him not doing WarneBall and using the squad we had differently?  Or did we just think he was successful elsewhere so he’ll probably be successful here?

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We need to give it time.

I would agree with you if there was any evidence of progression. Since Warne has arrived the team has gradually regressed and are getting worse. He's been here over 50 games now. I think our players have actually gotten worse at football because they're training to be brutes instead of footballers. The players hate playing this way and look miserable. No team wants to loan us players because they're not going to learn anything playing this style. We could wait 20-25 games but then half the seasons over and we might have to write of another year. 

The longer we leave Warne in charge, the longer it will take to reverse the damage he's doing.

Edited by DCFC Kicks

22 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Post of the day 🤛 chopping and changing don't work, there's no magic wand or a McLaren/clough scenario

Last week it was hms piss the league now it's warne ain't got a clue again 🙄

Sticking with a manager that can't get a tune out of the squad he has helped build and who looks tactically out of his depth in the third tier probably doesn't work either to be fair.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Just got back.

Someone drove into the back of me in the A50 roadworks. Which was nice.

Then Fornah was played as a number ten with NML at wing back, which was perplexing to say the least. Then the ref happened with some outrageously bad decisions. But we were awful. I thought we had turned a corner but I’m not sure what I saw there. I don’t think it’s too difficult - just play players where they play!! Felt sorry for Fozzy today who I thought was excellent. John-Jules has to start next time - he is so much better than Collins and Washington who both look like they have never seen a football before. 

However, all being said, all of us can be grateful tonight that we are not the ginger t***** in the grey tracksuit. Of that we can all be thankful, whether you know what I am talking about or not. 

Up the Rams

🐏

Despite my concerns about Warne I agree it’s too early to change things at this stage.

However, I think it’s perfectly OK to be questioning Warne - as I’ve said before I’d love him to be successful but I just don’t believe it.

As others have mentioned he seems very one dimensional and I’m not convinced he is getting the best out of our squad.

I’m also concerned that the team doesn’t appear to be 100% behind Warne.

Lets hope I’m wrong because suggestions that there are people on here who want Warne and DCFC to fail are nuts !

4 minutes ago, Justa said:

Despite my concerns about Warne I agree it’s too early to change things at this stage.

However, I think it’s perfectly OK to be questioning Warne - as I’ve said before I’d love him to be successful but I just don’t believe it.

As others have mentioned he seems very one dimensional and I’m not convinced he is getting the best out of our squad.

I’m also concerned that the team doesn’t appear to be 100% behind Warne.

Oh f*** it I should have just bolded all of that! So it's too early to change things - nearly a year btw - but he's 1-d and the team seem unconvinced. But don't change him? Wot!