Match Thread: vs Bolton (A)

Rampant

When? Sat 2nd Sept

Where? Toughsheet Community Stadium, Burnden Way, Horwich BL6 6JW (Located in the Middlebrook Retail & Leisure Park).

Last Season Bolton finished 5th in League 1 last season before losing to Barnsley in the Playoff Semi-Final.

Opening 5 Matches The Trotters started the season with three straight L1 victories, scoring three goals in each game. They have since gone two without a win as Saturday's draw at Burton followed a heavy 0-4 defeat at home to Wigan.

BWFC Dangermen On paper it would appear to be their two top scorers, former Burton man Adeboyejo (four goals) and NI international Dion Charles (three goals). They have lost two fine loanees from last season though as keeper Trafford and the Liverpool RB Conor Bradley have moved on.

History This fixture will be the 136th time these two Founder Members of the Football League have met in a competitive match. In the Cup competitions it is Bolton who have had the upper hand with five wins to the Rams' two. 

In League encounters though it is Derby who have had the better of it. Of 128 League meetings DCFC have won exactly half. The overall League record is as follows:

P 128  W 64  D 23  L 41

In recent meetings between the sides Wanderers have won just once in the past dozen matches compared to the Rams' seven wins with four draws. 

Although this is an away match for us, our home record against Bolton is fantastic, with Derby unbeaten since a 0-2 loss at the Baseball Ground way back in Sept 1981. Since then the Rams have won 10 and drawn four on Derby soil. That run includes wins in the last five at Pride Park, scoring 17 and conceding three in those five games.

Connections Players who have represented both clubs include Frannie Lee, John McGovern, Jeff Chandler, Nicky Hunt and currently at Bolton is Cameron Jerome. There is also a connection through our ex-gaffer and their former player Phil Brown whilst ex-Rams player Ian Evatt is seemingly doing a fine job at Bolton as manager.

Pair of Titbits Firstly, Bolton's 73 seasons in the top division is the most of any English club without winning the title.

And secondly, and I like this one tbh, the first ever Football League goal came in this very fixture on 8th Sept 1888 on the original opening day of the season. It was scored at 3:47pm (3:45pm kick offs all round then) by Bolton's Kenny Davenport although Derby went on to win the game 6-3.

Rams Expected Line Up I'm not aware of any injuries picked up against Peterborough so we could see another unchanged starting XI as Derby seek a third straight win. 

Edited by Rampant

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Superb matchday starting thread @Rampant.

Cheers @Rev. Never expected to get beyond Posh tbh so this feels like a bonus. Peterborough (A), Bolton (A) and Pompey (H) is, on paper anyway, probably our most difficult run of three matches all season but the win on Saturday should give us belief that we might remain unbeaten through it after all.

This for me is our most difficult game of the league season. Bolton have been together for a while now and although they’ve lost two key players in Trafford and Bradley from last season, as well as not recruiting as well as they would’ve liked, it still feels like they’re the team to beat in the league - despite us being the favourites by the bookies. 

I hope they sell Dion Charles before the weekend, not because I feel he’s an outstanding player but because the way he plays is still something that causes us problems in that he presses very aggressively and causes defenders to make mistakes - something we know that is problematic for us. He’s a flat-track bully at this level. 

A win would be fantastic, I’d be happy with a draw… a loss after the Peterborough game wouldn’t be the end of the world. I’m going to heavily back the Bolton win, hope to lose the money and watch another fan base lose their s*** after another Waghorn masterclass. 

38 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Word of warning - last season I parked in the school near the ground and it must have taken a good hour to get out and reach the motorway. Will park elsewhere this time

Similar but slightly worse if you park on the official car park next to the ground. Didn't move for 1 and a half hours and then another 30 mins to get to the motorway. Avoid this car park too. 

25 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Dion Charles has signed a new deal so doubt he will be leaving

Ah, didn’t see that. Shame. There had been talk of a move to Watford (among others). 

As I said, for me, he looks like a lower league footballer when he’s on the ball outside the box so it’s not that he’s this outstanding footballer. It’s his work off the ball and inside the box that makes him a (really) good player at this level and his work off the ball makes him a big threat to this Derby team in particular. 

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Rooney   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Fornah   Hourihane

Mendez-Laing   LThompson   Washington

Waghorn

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Smith, DRobinson, John-Jules, Collins

That doesn't look far off a decent side to me Ghost. Would you expect further additions this window?

49 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Similar but slightly worse if you park on the official car park next to the ground. Didn't move for 1 and a half hours and then another 30 mins to get to the motorway. Avoid this car park too. 

It doesn't seem to matter where you park - last season we parked on an industrial estate about a quarter of a mile from the retail park. Because of the torrential rain we had a KFC, but we still stuck for ages, as there is effectively only one road out to the motorway for nearly everybody. 

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think Warne has mentioned the aim is to make a couple more signings to improve on the starting 11 we had at the weekend. I imagine that will be a RB/RWB and a AM/W.

Could Calvin Ramsay at Preston be an option at RB?

Came from Liverpool with high hopes but has fallen out of favour.

Only 20 so a clip round the ear and a 30,000 home crowd might give him an escape.

10 minutes ago, David said:

10 minutes ago, David said:

Just posting to say I love this stadium name, best in the League.

Anyone that disagrees with me, well toughsheet I'm not changing my opinion.

They were fully aware that it would spark debate when they named the stadium, as they say there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

Edited by Foreveram