Not a top 3 team.

Charliegeorge1962

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Am I the only one that was irked by these comments?

Whose fault is it exactly if we are not a top three team in this league?

Perhaps I’m being arrogant/entitled/both but Derby County should be a top one team in League One and if we’re not the manager is also heavily responsible for this. 

Well I did think that it wouldn't necessarily encourage players to want to join us, transfer or loan. But maybe it's a challenge for them.

44 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Am I the only one that was irked by these comments?

Perhaps I’m being arrogant/entitled/both but Derby County should be a top one team in League One and if we’re not the manager is also heavily responsible for this. 

Did he say he wasn't responsible?

I do think some people are reading too much into this quote. He could have meant we haven't yet got all the personnel or he could have meant the current squad aren't yet playing to their full potential. If it's the latter, after each poor game I'm pretty sure he's said he takes some responsibility.

Even with the departures, this squad on paper should be cable of finishing top 6. If it doesn’t, then what? Can’t get rid of the manager apparently as we can’t afford too. So does that mean another two seasons of this?

Derby's head coach made the assessment after Saturday's 1-0 win over Fleetwood which was their first victory at Pride Park this season.

Warne said he needs to add further players to help the squad which has been rocked by injuries to Max Bird, Kane Wilson and Joe Ward.

Derby are eager to make three to four signings before the window shuts on September 1 with a midfielder hopefully the next to arrive.

Warne said: "I think our team is giving their all, and I am not criticising it, but if I am critquing it, I don't think it's a top three team, that is my honest truth," he said.

"We can't ask the Conor Hourihanes, the Craig Forsyths to play 46 games flat out. It's impossible.

"They need help and we need to get bodies in with a bit of pace to make us a better team."

57 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The recruitment team. How much Warne is involved in that, we don't know. But saying we want to sign 23-28 year olds, losing our best player, and then not recruiting anyone in that bracket for that position isn't great. Also spaffing the budget on 30+ year old defenders when the team needs pace further forward...

I, conversely, was somewhat buoyed by this comment; purely because it means Warne also sees the deficiencies within the squad that the rest of us see, and isn't happy with the depth we currently have. This reinforces the notion he knows what's needed but it hasn't been delivered by those responsible for signings. I'd be far more worried if he was saying this IS a top 3 squad, to be perfectly honest. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

The recruitment team. How much Warne is involved in that, we don't know. But saying we want to sign 23-28 year olds, losing our best player, and then not recruiting anyone in that bracket for that position isn't great. Also spaffing the budget on 30+ year old defenders when the team needs pace further forward...

I, conversely, was somewhat buoyed by this comment; purely because it means Warne also sees the deficiencies within the squad that the rest of us see, and isn't happy with the depth we currently have. This reinforces the notion he knows what's needed but it hasn't been delivered by those responsible for signings. I'd be far more worried if he was saying this IS a top 3 squad, to be perfectly honest. 

I just don't believe that the players signed aren't all Warne's choice. He could have said ermmm no, we need pace so not that one. I imagine he thought the budget pot would stretch further than it has.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I just don't believe that the players signed aren't all Warne's choice. He could have said ermmm no, we need pace so not that one. I imagine he thought the budget pot would stretch further than it has.

I agree with this, that last sentence is the real question. I doubt Warne signs off on both Nelson and Bradley if he knew it could mean no midfielders or forwards? 

It all feels like something changed part-way into the window, but the fans have no idea what it is... 

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I agree with this, that last sentence is the real question. I doubt Warne signs off on both Nelson and Bradley if he knew it could mean no midfielders or forwards? 

It all feels like something changed part-way into the window, but the fans have no idea what it is... 

Nope, it's been similar to last January. Reaching for the stars and only having money for penny chews. I'm sure Warne also thought that the back 3 would be an absolutely solid foundation.

And what has changed is Warne, he really hasn't dealt well with our poor start to the season. Every interview he's given shouts that. 

Edited by RoyMac5

PW said we weren't a top 3 team but didn't imply the players weren't good enough - iirc he said players such as Conor and Fozzy couldn't be expected to go flat out for 46 games, they need help and we need more bodies.

As we all know 4 or 5 good signings before the transfer window shuts and this season starts to look a lot better, I didn't read anything negative into his comments other than we need to get moving in the transfer market pretty damn quick. 

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I concur. Yes Warne is partly responsible for the poor performances but the recruitment team is to blame for the squad being in it's current state.

Warne has said many times he wants to sign players in the younger 23-28 age bracket, he wants more pace, he wants more creativity, basically all the things we've been saying. These comments don't match up with our business so far. Add to that the comments about it not being a top 3 team and it's clear to me that Warne is as frustrated as us with the transfer window and hasn't got what he wanted.

Is he commenting on the team/matchday squad vs Fleetwood, or the squad as a whole? Ward and Bird are big misses. Any top 3 team, even with a full squad, would no longer be a top 3 team without those two. Add in Wilson's injury, Elder and Bradley not yet showing the ability we hoped they would add to the team, Sibley and Barkhuizen still to build up match fitness, and being a couple of players short in the transfer market, his comments are understandable.

Without signings, this team won't get promoted. With 3 long term injuries, 1 still to return to the matchday squad and a few others still building fitness, our first team squad is small right now. But, that's partly Warne's fault too. He should have spent the last 10 months giving more first team exposure to the likes of Rooney, LThompson, DRobinson, etc... so that when these situations do pop up, squad depth isn't such as issue - fringe players would be ready to make the step up to more regular football.