Not a top 3 team.

Charliegeorge1962

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Before we signed Wilson , I read that he had an injury that he will have to manage for the whole of his career. In that case , how did he pass a medical? NML will now have to go back on his wing , perhaps till Xmas. But we know from last season - he struggles with 2 games a week and he hasn’t had a rest this summer. 

And I can lose the sense of agitation I have when he shows up anywhere else, looking quite lost...

I take your point about Wilson being a potential risk but wouldn't your logic imply that no team should ever sign him?

4 hours ago, jameso said:

And I can lose the sense of agitation I have when he shows up anywhere else, looking quite lost...

I take your point about Wilson being a potential risk but wouldn't your logic imply that no team should ever sign him?

Looking at old newspaper articles - Wilson was out for more than 4 months at Bristol , after knee surgery. He never seemed to get fit enough for Pearson’s liking. Strange now that Roberts and Knight are now with Pearson. We are also missing McGoldrick , Osula and Dobbin up front, Curtis and Stearman at the back. Are we a stronger outfit this season?

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Looking at old newspaper articles - Wilson was out for more than 4 months at Bristol , after knee surgery. He never seemed to get fit enough for Pearson’s liking. Strange now that Roberts and Knight are now with Pearson. We are also missing McGoldrick , Osula and Dobbin up front, Curtis and Stearman at the back. Are we a stronger outfit this season?

True but hopefully that works to our advantage because if he'd stayed injury-free and fulfilled at least some of his potential at Bristol City, he wouldn't be with us, and we've seen some promising signs... if he can stay injury-free with us of course!

Hard to answer whether we're a stronger outfit. Some incomings haven't made the impact we'd have hoped so far, for various reasons. Some outgoings we would have liked to keep. The team isn't playing as well as it did during some of last season (not the ending, particularly). I would like to think we have better personnel on the whole... when fully fit. But better players doesn't necessarily make a more successful team.

Just now, jameso said:

True but hopefully that works to our advantage because if he'd stayed injury-free and fulfilled at least some of his potential at Bristol City, he wouldn't be with us, and we've seen some promising signs... if he can stay injury-free with us of course!

It's too soon to tell but really all we've seen so far is pace and some awful step-overs, not sure he's managed a decent cross? He looked awfully unfit when he came on as well. I just am not convinced that one of our youngsters couldn't run around as quickly and as aimlessly. There must be more to come?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's too soon to tell but really all we've seen so far is pace and some awful step-overs, not sure he's managed a decent cross? He looked awfully unfit when he came on as well. I just am not convinced that one of our youngsters couldn't run around as quickly and as aimlessly. There must be more to come?

Yes I think he is unfit, and PW has said as much. I think he managed one decent cross but don't ask me to produce my evidence 🤣

I have been mostly encouraged by his directness... and highlight reels for other teams!

On 21/08/2023 at 17:27, Tamworthram said:

Did he say he wasn't responsible?

I do think some people are reading too much into this quote. He could have meant we haven't yet got all the personnel or he could have meant the current squad aren't yet playing to their full potential. If it's the latter, after each poor game I'm pretty sure he's said he takes some responsibility.

Maybe give PW the benefit of doubt and say the comment was ambiguous. Either way, it certainly wouldn't be perceived as being motivational. 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Maybe give PW the benefit of doubt and say the comment was ambiguous. Either way, it certainly wouldn't be perceived as being motivational. 

Sometimes the truth is more valuable than false motivational talk (The one that always amuses me is fallacy that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it). Maybe he should have qualified it (perhaps he does when speaking to the players) and added something like “we just need x new players to strengthen the squad” or “we all just need to raise our game to the levels I believe we can achieve”.

I may be wrong (there’s little evidence at the moment to suggest I may be right) but I suspect, when speaking directly to the players, he is quite motivational.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Sometimes the truth is more valuable than false motivational talk (The one that always amuses me is fallacy that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it). Maybe he should have qualified it (perhaps he does when speaking to the players) and added something like “we just need x new players to strengthen the squad” or “we all just need to raise our game to the levels I believe we can achieve”.

I may be wrong (there’s little evidence at the moment to suggest I may be right) but I suspect, when speaking directly to the players, he is quite motivational.

Sometimes the truth is more valuable than false motivational talk (The one that always amuses me is fallacy that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it). A key tool in any manager's toolbox is the ability to motivate players to help them reach their maximum potential, while realising what their maximum is and without expecting them to achieve the impossible. If the manager identifies those parameters correctly, the player, if he puts his mind to it, can achieve, at times, the manager's highest expectation of him. If a manager ever really resorts to false motivational talk, perhaps he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place. The most successful managers in the history of the game were good motivators and/or assisted by a good motivator(s).

perhaps he does when speaking to the players. And perhaps he doesn't or maybe he sends them a text in the middle of the night? Who knows?

I agree you may be wrong and there's little evidence to suggest you are right but having reached that conclusion, where is the evidence you have to immediately contradict yourself to conclude that you suspect he is quite motivational?

I feel that I've just read a riddle.

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Sometimes the truth is more valuable than false motivational talk (The one that always amuses me is fallacy that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it). A key tool in any manager's toolbox is the ability to motivate players to help them reach their maximum potential, while realising what their maximum is and without expecting them to achieve the impossible. If the manager identifies those parameters correctly, the player, if he puts his mind to it, can achieve, at times, the manager's highest expectation of him. If a manager ever really resorts to false motivational talk, perhaps he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place. The most successful managers in the history of the game were good motivators and/or assisted by a good motivator(s).

perhaps he does when speaking to the players. And perhaps he doesn't or maybe he sends them a text in the middle of the night? Who knows?

I agree you may be wrong and there's little evidence to suggest you are right but having reached that conclusion, where is the evidence you have to immediately contradict yourself to conclude that you suspect he is quite motivational?

I feel that I've just read a riddle.

Good for you. Once again, I’m pleased if my posts have satisfied or amused you. 😀

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Good for you. Once again, I’m pleased if my posts have satisfied or amused you. 😀

Satisfied? That's a gross overstatement. Amused? No, I think the word you are looking for is bemused or confused or was that an auto-text error? 😂.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm pleased if my posts have bemused or confused you. 

Rest assured then that you can feel pleased most days. I'm sure it'll contribute to a much happier life for you. Glad to have done my good deed for the day 😂