Not a top 3 team.

Charliegeorge1962

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The whole mood on here just smacks of pettiness now.

A poster said he doesn't like Warne because he says the word obviously too many times during interviews, he's been called out for making sarcastic comments, posters have begun to complain that his jokiness during interviews is beginning to grate, he's getting the blame for the crap incoming transfers this summer as it must have been him because they were from Rotherham and so on.

It's just really irrational. But still it persists. 

His interviews, mannerisms and all that don’t bother me. I’m just interested in what we do on the pitch. I want to be entertained. And if our football is not entertaining, at least look like we’re heading in the direction by winning games.

Right now we’re barely doing the latter.

Nothing about Warne smacks of a manager who will achieve beyond expectations. If our squad isn’t top three in the league, under this manager we won’t finish in the top 3.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

His interviews, mannerisms and all that don’t bother me. I’m just interested in what we do on the pitch. I want to be entertained. And if our football is not entertaining, at least look like we’re heading in the direction by winning games.

Right now we’re barely doing the latter.

Nothing about Warne smacks of a manager who will achieve beyond expectations. If our squad isn’t top three in the league, under this manager we won’t finish in the top 3.

And that's fair enough. I'm sure Warne isn't daft enough to know that unattractive  football and poor results are usually a fatal combination. 

So I agree judge him on that. Not on how many times he uses a word during interviews or whether his jokes are funny or not.

Edited by Tyler Durden

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

The players themselves of course. Some really stupid errors in those first couple of games and embarrassing defending.

Yes Warne has signed players he wanted but it's clear that he wanted a lot more. Hopefully we can do something in the next couple of weeks.

ask any manager in the football league, i'm sure they will all say they want more. The managers job is to find a way to get the best out of what he has available. Warne is currently falling well short on that.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I concur. Yes Warne is partly responsible for the poor performances but the recruitment team is to blame for the squad being in it's current state.

But Warne knew we would still have some difficulties with transfers this season. Instead of playing a system more suited to the players we already have, he's decided to go with an entirely different system which requires more transfers to create. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

And that's fair enough. I'm sure Warne isn't daft enough to know that unattractive  football and poor results are usually a fatal combination. 

So I agree judge him on that. Not on how many times he uses a word during interviews or whether his jokes are funny or not.

I think that’s what most are doing.

25 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

But Warne knew we would still have some difficulties with transfers this season. Instead of playing a system more suited to the players we already have, he's decided to go with an entirely different system which requires more transfers to create. 

I agree he needs to end his obsession with a back 3 and play a 4

1 hour ago, Jram said:

Could using the academy players not shore up the squad more? Brown, Robinson, Bardell- why can’t they be trusted? 
I’m pro-Warne but that is one thing I miss about Rooney/Rosenior (and to some extent Lampard). They were willing to give some of our own a chance. 

Knight, Bird, Cashin possibly our three best players (obv Mcgoldrick) over the last 12 months. Has the club not learned that trusting youth can work?

Were not asking them to come in and score week after week in the prem like other cat 1 academies 

The 'unproven' U21s should be 3rd choice in each position. Versatility helps (Rooney at RB/CB, Forsyth at LB/CB, etc), but as a rough guide, I'd go with something like this:

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach, Evans
RB: Ward, Wilson, Moore
CB: Nelson, Rooney, Bardell
CB: Cashin, Bradley, Cox
LB: Forsyth, Elder, Moloney
CM: Bird, Smith, DRobinson
CM: Hourihane, LThompson, Radcliffe
RW: Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Richards
AM: Sibley, Lindsay
LW: Washington, Davidson
CF: Waghorn, Collins, DBrown

Ignoring injuries, we would be a CM/AM, LW and possibly a CF short of a healthy first team squad. Due to the long term injuries to both first team right backs, it makes sense to sign someone who gets us through to January as relying on Rooney (who still hasn't played the full 90 in back to back games under Warne) would be a big risk.

Similar would apply in a 352, except our first team squad depth is heavier in certain positions and lighter in others.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I've just watched the Championship and League One highlights.

It's amazing how many pacy and very young players are involved in creating and scoring goals across these two divisions. 

Warne plays the game too safely, imo.

That is the sort of player I really thought we would sign this summer with a few more "risks" taken on promising lower league or younger players. Although if no/very low fee and low wages not much of a risk if we are aiming for a steady sustainable rebuild.
I think the sort of player we have signed is the main reason I am so disappointed at the start of the season - not results, not style, not PW but the short-term-ism of the recruitment (not blaming anyone in particular) and the fact our youngsters who havent broken through yet only seem to get a proper chance when there is no other choice like on Saturday. Pre-season it looked as if the next batch would get their chance but I dont think they will. Despite the off-field nonsense I really felt connected to the team with blend of our youngsters and more experienced pros bringing them through over the last 2-3 seasons. By accident it seemed we had ironically found "the Derby way". But with Bird and Cashin probably off/being sold to fund more journeyman (nothing personal) I find it all a bit sad and disappointing. Would have rather built a younger more long-term team I am invested in than get a quick promotion but thats just me I suspect!

Again dont really want to blame anyone but suspect financially us getting out of this league is a priority but ironically the short-term signings with that aim may make it less likely.

Ignore my depressed ramblings, think this is the year the ramifications (no pun intended) of Mel's mess really come to fruition. And last night I watched the Leeds v Derby playoff semi second leg!

I'm not a big fan of the comment for a few reasons: 

1) He has signed eight experienced players: Vickers hasn't beaten out the Wildsmith, Elder hasn't beaten out Forsyth, Nelson and Bradley have both shown deficiencies with the latter losing his place to a youngster who was already here at the club in Rooney, Washington and Waghorn finally got their chance but were placed behind Collins originally. Ward and Wilson have got injured early on. 

He has all summer been adamant on how important the recruitment strategy is and how he's got to be their best mate before they get a chance to play for the club. He's now essentially saying the players he (and Thomas) have picked for the club aren't good enough. 

2) Not a top 3 team, ok... but it's a top 3 budget we're playing with and a significant commercial advantage that dwarfs 95% of the teams in the league. Bolton are the only side even close to being within the ball park. He is essentially outing himself, Thomas... whoever that they're not being efficient with the money they've had to spend. 

Ultimately, you have to get the most out of what you are given. We've spent our money on a bunch of experience senior pros, with little resale value, essentially banking on promotion this season. Now we look way short of that standard, it's easy to highlight the short-comings. The plan can't be to recycle through free agency every summer, well it can, but ultimately it's such a poor way to build and develop a football team. I think for Warne, in particular, his philosophy and recruitment couldn't be further apart. 

I said he strikes me as someone who knows exactly what he wants, but not really sure how to get there - perhaps a few too many compromises with the recruitment staff (I'm not sure). Three at the back, with the way he plays it, needs athletes and we don't have any. Every team we have come up against has had no problem separating our centre halves and creating huge gaps around and within the box - it's fundamental that those three either have good athleticism or are disciplined and organised to the point where those gaps aren't there anymore. Same in midfield. We just don't have the personnel and we haven't even tried to bring it in. 

I'd say with the players we have we really need a back four to reduce gaps between the players and the requirement for athleticism: Rooney, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Elder, Forsyth can all play in this fashion. The midfield just don't really have the legs, so really you need to reduce the space between them. I feel something like a 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 formation is our best chance of getting something out of these players in this team. 

Based on what we have, on what I've seen so far this season the next game I would go with: Wildsmith; Rooney, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth; Thompson, Hourihane; NML, Sibley, Washington; Waghorn. 

A flat back four, nothing stupid and nothing cheap - no easy outballs down the wing for the opposition. Thompson and Hourihane. Not too comfortable about that, but Thompson offers energy and drive. Hourihane can provide an end product. The front four have a little bit of pace, a little bit of purpose. a little bit of drive. Waghorn is technically our best striker at holding the ball up and bringing others into play - he has to start at the pivot. The important thing is just to reduce that space between our defenders - everyone will be a little more comfortable. I'd also like to see us play a lot closer together - we have technically good players in midfield at this level - why do we insist on stretching them so far apart, making their life difficult and (again) creating these huge gaps for teams to hurt us on the counter. 

It's been my biggest frustration with Warne's system - it's a little chaotic, it's a little bit spread out which leads to small errors becoming a critical ones. 

13 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The whole mood on here just smacks of pettiness now.

A poster said he doesn't like Warne because he says the word obviously too many times during interviews, he's been called out for making sarcastic comments, posters have begun to complain that his jokiness during interviews is beginning to grate, he's getting the blame for the crap incoming transfers this summer as it must have been him because they were from Rotherham and so on.

It's just really irrational. But still it persists. 

I think it’s fair to blame him for transfers. There’s no way we’re signing players he doesn’t want - we don’t have a DOF to do that… 

I don’t like him as a manager because my expectations of our team are that we can beat a bad Fleetwood side at home without ceding 55% of the possession and relying on the woodwork. 

If we look convincing in a win I’ll be the first to say ‘yeah that’s more like it, that’s a building block’ but Saturdays win was a building block made of talc powder based on what I saw with my eyes. 

For most fans it felt good because of just how bad it was in the previous game but it wasn’t anywhere close to a good performance. 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

1) He has signed eight experienced players: Vickers hasn't beaten out the Wildsmith, Elder hasn't beaten out Forsyth, Nelson and Bradley have both shown deficiencies with the latter losing his place to a youngster who was already here at the club in Rooney, Washington and Waghorn finally got their chance but were placed behind Collins originally. Ward and Wilson have got injured early on. 

He has all summer been adamant on how important the recruitment strategy is and how he's got to be their best mate before they get a chance to play for the club. He's now essentially saying the players he (and Thomas) have picked for the club aren't good enough. 

2) Not a top 3 team, ok... but it's a top 3 budget we're playing with and a significant commercial advantage that dwarfs 95% of the teams in the league. Bolton are the only side even close to being within the ball park. He is essentially outing himself, Thomas... whoever that they're not being efficient with the money they've had to spend. 

Ultimately, you have to get the most out of what you are given. We've spent our money on a bunch of experience senior pros, with little resale value, essentially banking on promotion this season. Now we look way short of that standard, it's easy to highlight the short-comings. The plan can't be to recycle through free agency every summer, well it can, but ultimately it's such a poor way to build and develop a football team. I think for Warne, in particular, his philosophy and recruitment couldn't be further apart. 

I said he strikes me as someone who knows exactly what he wants, but not really sure how to get there - perhaps a few too many compromises with the recruitment staff (I'm not sure). Three at the back, with the way he plays it, needs athletes and we don't have any. Every team we have come up against has had no problem separating our centre halves and creating huge gaps around and within the box - it's fundamental that those three either have good athleticism or are disciplined and organised to the point where those gaps aren't there anymore. Same in midfield. We just don't have the personnel and we haven't even tried to bring it in. 

I'd say with the players we have we really need a back four to reduce gaps between the players and the requirement for athleticism: Rooney, Nelson, Bradley, Cashin, Elder, Forsyth can all play in this fashion. The midfield just don't really have the legs, so really you need to reduce the space between them. I feel something like a 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 formation is our best chance of getting something out of these players in this team. 

Based on what we have, on what I've seen so far this season the next game I would go with: Wildsmith; Rooney, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth; Thompson, Hourihane; NML, Sibley, Washington; Waghorn. 

A flat back four, nothing stupid and nothing cheap - no easy outballs down the wing for the opposition. Thompson and Hourihane. Not too comfortable about that, but Thompson offers energy and drive. Hourihane can provide an end product. The front four have a little bit of pace, a little bit of purpose. a little bit of drive. Waghorn is technically our best striker at holding the ball up and bringing others into play - he has to start at the pivot. The important thing is just to reduce that space between our defenders - everyone will be a little more comfortable. I'd also like to see us play a lot closer together - we have technically good players in midfield at this level - why do we insist on stretching them so far apart, making their life difficult and (again) creating these huge gaps for teams to hurt us on the counter. 

It's been my biggest frustration with Warne's system - it's a little chaotic, it's a little bit spread out which leads to small errors becoming a critical ones. 

I agree with everything you've said, except I think it's maybe 1 game too soon for Sibley. I'd give him 30 mins in this one before starting him the following week.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Full of inaccuracies, pure guesswork and doesn’t take into account at all some pre-season disruption with injuries which means certain players have not been available and still getting up to speed and challenge for places. I.e. Sibley, Elder, Washington, Barkheizen