Sonny Bradley

DCFC Kicks

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really worried we may have a dud. He's come back from a big injury and his legs look like they may be completely gone. He can barely run. We can't play any high line because he just won't be able to get back. The most concerning thing is he's meant to be the marquee signing who is going to lead the entire defence. I feel like our whole season depends on him in a way. 

He looked a lot better against Burton. The Pride Park pitch looks way to big for him. I bet if we played a Prem team in the cup and had to sit in our own box all game he'd be MOTM, but I'm not sure how he works when we're meant to be on the front foot every game.

He looked like the weakest link v Wigan and that seems to be a continuing trend in the games that have followed.

The system doesn’t play to his strengths, but equally we don’t have the players in the squad to cancel out his shortcomings. We don’t even know if a new system will completely remedy his issues.

What I struggle with is that he was our big summer signing and with that, he probably came with certain expectations and certain guarantees. How can he start at the moment?

Personally, Cashin and Forsyth would be my starting centre backs. Given we have signed several new ones whom were playing at a higher level previously, it doesn’t reflect well on the recruitment team whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He looked like the weakest link v Wigan and that seems to be a continuing trend in the games that have followed.

The system doesn’t play to his strengths, but equally we don’t have the players in the squad to cancel out his shortcomings. We don’t even know if a new system will completely remedy his issues.

What I struggle with is that he was our big summer signing and with that, he probably came with certain expectations and certain guarantees. How can he start at the moment?

Personally, Cashin and Forsyth would be my starting centre backs. Given we have signed several new ones whom were playing at a higher level previously, it doesn’t reflect well on the recruitment team whatsoever.

I think he provided his own expectations and guarantees when he first came.  Better to just get out and play.  

52 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm really worried we may have a dud. He's come back from a big injury and his legs look like they may be completely gone. He can barely run. We can't play any high line because he just won't be able to get back. The most concerning thing is he's meant to be the marquee signing who is going to lead the entire defence. I feel like our whole season depends on him in a way. 

He looked a lot better against Burton. The Pride Park pitch looks way to big for him. I bet if we played a Prem team in the cup and had to sit in our own box all game he'd be MOTM, but I'm not sure how he works when we're meant to be on the front foot every game.

His legs have gone. There was one incident just before he came off, the ball dropped into space about 5 yards from him and 10 from Cashin. He frantically started gesturing at Cashin to deal with it.

Warne has dropped a massive clanger. 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Good job we didn't spend 6 months waiting for a head of recruitment to start, only for him to recommend ex Rotherham players and the league one team of the season 2019

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think he provided his own expectations and guarantees when he first came.  Better to just get out and play.  

True, his interview was anything but humble.

However I am thinking from the standpoint of having experienced players who have probably signed contracts and joined us in this division with a certain level of entitlement, an element of being untouchable irrespective of performance.

Take Hourihane and Bradley, for example. Two players who came in with big fanfare. Right now, it is hard not to look at them as anything but two of the biggest weak links in the team. Yet one is captain and the other came in as a marquee signing and a supposed leading figure both on and off the pitch.

How do we improve the team if the core of the team is dysfunctional? What do we do when the central figures in the team are standing in the way of progression?

45 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

How do we improve the team if the core of the team is dysfunctional? What do we do when the central figures in the team are standing in the way of progression?

I think if we were an Italian side, there might be an "accident"!

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

True, his interview was anything but humble.

However I am thinking from the standpoint of having experienced players who have probably signed contracts and joined us in this division with a certain level of entitlement, an element of being untouchable irrespective of performance.

Take Hourihane and Bradley, for example. Two players who came in with big fanfare. Right now, it is hard not to look at them as anything but two of the biggest weak links in the team. Yet one is captain and the other came in as a marquee signing and a supposed leading figure both on and off the pitch.

I disagree with Hourihane.  I'd lose Smith or Bird to accommodate the fact he's the only midfielder who's getting 7 or 8 goals,  We did it with Idiakez in the past.  The trick is having the right players in midfield to do the other jobs on a consistent basis. 

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I disagree with Hourihane.  I'd lose Smith or Bird to accommodate the fact he's the only midfielder who's getting 7 or 8 goals,  We did it with Idiakez in the past.  The trick is having the right players in midfield to do the other jobs on a consistent basis. 

I feel Hourihane is a luxury, one we can’t really afford when the midfield isn’t functioning well and we’re getting bossed in games. How many games does he end up being anonymous in?

Yet he is our captain and quite possibly our highest paid player, so it puts us in a difficult position.

Granted he does chip in with goals and assists, but if he is unable to help us control games from midfield and as a result take the pressure off the defence, he will cost us goals and results just as frequently.

The Idiakez comparison doesn’t really hold weight. Idiakez was at the heart of everything we did well for a time. Hourihane has nowhere near the same level of impact.

Just now, Jourdan said:

I feel Hourihane is a luxury, one we can’t really afford when the midfield isn’t functioning well and we’re getting bossed in games. How many games does he end up being anonymous in?

Yet he is our captain and quite possibly our highest paid player, so it puts us in a difficult position.

Granted he does chip in with goals and assists, but if he is unable to help us control games from midfield and as a result take the pressure off the defence, he will cost us goals and results just as frequently.

The Idiakez comparison doesn’t really hold weight. Idiakez was at the heart of everything we did well for a time. Hourihane has nowhere near the same level of impact.

no mate.  Idiakez wouldn't get a dirty shirt.  Taylor and Osman did his running for him . Idiakez goals were great but almost all free kicks and pens. Taylors all round play was the most effective part.  If we'd kept Knight and had a bit more muscle with some actual pace for the ball to moved on to he'd be more visible as well as the goals.  He'd probably get more. At the minute we have stand up head and kick defenders which is fine but they ain't quick enough to be pulled around as the ball heads back their way every 30 seconds. There is no retention up top as we have no natural wingers playing out wide and start every game with an angry man who plays ok 1 game in 5 and gives away possession and free kicks in the other 4.  

17 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

no mate.  Idiakez wouldn't get a dirty shirt.  Taylor and Osman did his running for him . Idiakez goals were great but almost all free kicks and pens. Taylors all round play was the most effective part.  If we'd kept Knight and had a bit more muscle with some actual pace for the ball to moved on to he'd be more visible as well as the goals.  He'd probably get more. At the minute we have stand up head and kick defenders which is fine but they ain't quick enough to be pulled around as the ball heads back their way every 30 seconds. There is no retention up top as we have no natural wingers playing out wide and start every game with an angry man who plays ok 1 game in 5 and gives away possession and free kicks in the other 4.  

Idiakez joined us in the 2004-05 season. Osman played for us on loan in 2003-04. They never played in the same Derby team.

So maybe your memory is playing tricks on you.

Idiakez finished up player of the year that year and was sorely and decisively missed v Preston away in the play-offs too.

That said it was a lovely team to watch and everyone played their part. I’d agree with you there.

But Idiakez v Hourihane at this stage of his career? It’s no contest in terms of influence.

Did they not give him a fitness test prior to signing? If they did, how stringent was it? He's clearly not up to pace and looks like he's on the ropes and all over the place after about 15 minutes with the way we are set up.  I can kind of see why he wasn't voted in as captain. 

He’s a big guy but on the pitch he looks frail.

I don’t think he’s awful. He just needs to start asserting his authority. I think we play a five partly because the central defenders we have are so slow.

Haydon Roberts used to cover that well.

We have pretend full backs now with no defensive instincts.

I don’t think we can play Bradley and Nelson in a four.

In fact it’s not looking good for the two new guys at all. We looked far safer last year with Forsyth and Cashin.

Elder looks very average and could be replaced by Sibley. Wilson and Ward are okay in attack but can’t defend so could be replaced by Rooney.

Bradley is looking a bit of an enigma.