Sonny Bradley

DCFC Kicks

5 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Some bad takes on here. Our defence has been woeful so far, no doubt. All 3 look totally uncomfortable playing in a 3: Nelson has been shocking- we should have signed 1 of him or Bradley, Cashin has struggled to adapt and gets caught out of position constantly, not helped by Fozzy also not suiting wingback on that side.

Bradley hasn't been great but he looks completely lost in this system, arguably more so than anyone else in the team. I saw enough glimpses in pre-season of his marking and tackling ability to know there's a player in there, Sonny just seems to be the biggest victim of the system. Maybe i'm being too generous but I suspect if he'd come into a settled side playing a back 5, it'd be chalk and cheese and he could his show his talent more easily. 

7 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Sorry if this comes across as a bit rude, but I'm baffled by your comments, and I can't understand what matches  you've been watching to lead you to think we're camped in our own half with a solid back 5, not being exposed and with the defenders having little ground to cover?

The problem is that we're playing a high line, asking players to commit forward whenever they can, and  keep ending up in a situation where with nobody is in position to provide cover when we lose the ball, with the defenders miles apart and having to cover loads of ground!

This is a slightly exaggerated and simplistic view of it, I'll admit, but there are times it's looked a bit like this:

howwedo.JPG.832083a93f6af9862d17c0ab0855d2a4.JPG

The blue box is (roughly) the amount of space Bradley is being asked to cover in our current set up. Sometimes it's a shared duty with one of the CBs staying in position or a midfielder dropping deep, but he's often being left isolated.

it was mainly based on the game last night v oxford. There were large portions of the game where oxford brought the ball over the half way line and we had everyone back except collins. There was almost no press involved. To me it looked generally more like this:

image.png.3dd4d32c76f0a5f7f7c152cc42f55361.png

the reason bradley was so exposed was because cashin and nelson were often going right to the touchline to try get the ball down the line, as warnes tactic. And with both wing backs staying so wide it means as soon as we lost the ball in midfield, oxford had a clear run either side of bradley into lots of space. 

7 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

In a back 4 with a DM & some actua  wingers allowing the full-backs to maintain their defensive duties a bit, it looks more like this:

howwedondtdo.JPG.c8be95bf376b5b65bd66977d94b41c99.JPG

I'm really not sure how you can conclude that he'll be more exposed in a back 4.

If warne wants to play the same way and get the full backs high and wide then bradley will still be left exposed

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Based on what I’ve seen, no.

But how much of that is also down to several players playing in roles that are unnatural to them?

Playing Cashin as a wide centre back, Bird as an advanced midfielder, NML as a central player are all steps that are putting additional strain and confusion on the team.

Exactly. Managers usually do one of two things. Play their preferred system with the players they have, or pick a system that suits the players in the squad. Warnes prioritised system over player suitability and its not working at all.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly. Managers usually do one of two things. Play their preferred system with the players they have, or pick a system that suits the players in the squad. Warnes prioritised system over player suitability and its not working at all.

its been getting worse and worse since about jan/feb last season

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

it was mainly based on the game last night v oxford. There were large portions of the game where oxford brought the ball over the half way line and we had everyone back except collins. There was almost no press involved. To me it looked generally more like this:

image.png.3dd4d32c76f0a5f7f7c152cc42f55361.png

the reason bradley was so exposed was because cashin and nelson were often going right to the touchline to try get the ball down the line, as warnes tactic. And with both wing backs staying so wide it means as soon as we lost the ball in midfield, oxford had a clear run either side of bradley into lots of space. 

I’ve been saying this. I actually think Bradley and Nelson would be ok as a pair. Elder at left back. And Wilson RB. Elder a bit more reserved giving Wilson a bit more license to get forward a bit like you see nowadays one fullback almost making it a back 3 at times but would be more compact than how our defence is now. 

NML and Ward on the wings. 2 new dynamic CM’s with the Cashin and Bird money and maybe if it stretches a pacy striker to add to our forward line!

Edited by McMuffin

Just adding this as raw data:

Asked a friend-of-a-friend who is a lifelong Luton fan, did Luton fans consider Bradley finished as a player before he joined us. This was the reply:

”Simple answer, yes! Wasn't cut out anymore for Championship. Way too slow. Gives it his all and was a great captain but shot now.

Did think he'd do OK dropping down a division again though”

On 16/08/2023 at 02:25, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I disagree with Hourihane.  I'd lose Smith or Bird to accommodate the fact he's the only midfielder who's getting 7 or 8 goals,  We did it with Idiakez in the past.  The trick is having the right players in midfield to do the other jobs on a consistent basis. 

Smith has been as poor as anybody 

I can't believe he's as bad as he's looked. I had high hopes for him and still hope he will demonstrate his quality. As a CB he's only just past his prime etc.

The formation and lack of a dynamic CDM is not helping any if our CBs. None of them look confident positionally in a 3 and none of them have the pace to recover. 

It's worrying how fragile we have looked defensively given that most of us thought we would be very stingy this year.

A formation change will help but it's a worry.