Sonny Bradley

DCFC Kicks

Just now, gccrowdpleaser said:

Bradley is not the problem at the back at all. Cashin seems untouchable to Rams fans but was absolutely woeful last night. Slow. Ponderous on the ball. Repeatedly dragged out of position.

In experience us part of it because there was very little talking but if somebody offered 500k I'd snap their hand off. 

Cash gets a lot of free passes for being ‘one of our own’. His positional sense isn’t great and he’s slow distributing the ball. But TBF he’s no worse than the other 2 beside him.

9 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Bradley is not the problem at the back at all. Cashin seems untouchable to Rams fans but was absolutely woeful last night. Slow. Ponderous on the ball. Repeatedly dragged out of position.

In experience us part of it because there was very little talking but if somebody offered 500k I'd snap their hand off. 

Stuff like this is why Forest sell their best youth prospects for millions, and we get sod all for ours.  We stick Cashin in a position he clearly can't play, in a system that doesn't suit him, make him look as bad as possible, and then openly talk about flogging him for £500k.  Forest would have him play 2 seasons in a solid back 4, and sell him for £5m+ to Burnley or something.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There was one of the friendlies where he looked competent in tackles and headers when in the box (ours not theirs 😄 ) can't remember which one.

But the rest of the time he's looked lost. You can see some qualities in Nelson and I feel he's getting slated, as is Cashin, through playing a poor system with Bradley at it's heart (long stopped beating!).

I think it's the Stoke friendly that you're recalling @RoyMac5. He looked a great signing in that game. Not sure where that player has disappeared to. 

It's not reflecting greatly on Warne that he keeps giving him the shepherds hook. It's a real quandary what we do with him. Over to you PW. 

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Stuff like this is why Forest sell their best youth prospects for millions, and we get sod all for ours.  We stick Cashin in a position he clearly can't play, in a system that doesn't suit him, make him look as bad as possible, and then openly talk about flogging him for £500k.  Forest would have him play 2 seasons in a solid back 4, and sell him for £5m+ to Burnley or something.

£500k 😱

I’d snap their hand off for that and drive him there myself - wherever it was. 

Massively overrated and now being regularly exposed. 

Some bad takes on here. Our defence has been woeful so far, no doubt. All 3 look totally uncomfortable playing in a 3: Nelson has been shocking- we should have signed 1 of him or Bradley, Cashin has struggled to adapt and gets caught out of position constantly, not helped by Fozzy also not suiting wingback on that side.

Bradley hasn't been great but he looks completely lost in this system, arguably more so than anyone else in the team. I saw enough glimpses in pre-season of his marking and tackling ability to know there's a player in there, Sonny just seems to be the biggest victim of the system. Maybe i'm being too generous but I suspect if he'd come into a settled side playing a back 5, it'd be chalk and cheese and he could his show his talent more easily. 

None of the centrebacks are looking comfortable at the minute. Nervy, indecisive, and sloppy. All of them look like shadows.

It feels a bit harsh to be calling out one player, but Sonny is looking like the player with the biggest target on his back due to being taken off early in games.

There's a quality player in there, I'm sure. You don't play regularly in - and captain, might I add - promotion-winning sides without having something about you.

47 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

They simply wouldn't.  He's 5ft 10 with no pace. He absolutely will never be a 5m centre back. Ever. What you lack in certain areas you make up for elsewhere. 

He doesn't have the basics to be a big sale. Other clubs make money because those players are simply better.

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

None of the centrebacks are looking comfortable at the minute. Nervy, indecisive, and sloppy. All of them look like shadows.

It feels a bit harsh to be calling out one player, but Sonny is looking like the player with the biggest target on his back due to being taken off early in games.

There's a quality player in there, I'm sure. You don't play regularly in - and captain, might I add - promotion-winning sides without having something about you.

Agree completely.  Not sure why he was taken off last night over Nelson or Cashin really.  

Biggest concern was the apparent lack of leadership and talking going on. 

Some players need the responsibility of being captain to excel. I saw nothing from Hourihane to suggest he is captain material.

8 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Agree completely.  Not sure why he was taken off last night over Nelson or Cashin really.  

Biggest concern was the apparent lack of leadership and talking going on. 

Some players need the responsibility of being captain to excel. I saw nothing from Hourihane to suggest he is captain material.

And I saw absolutely nothing from Bradley to suggest he was captain material. Couldn't marshal the defence, so what chance he'd do any good with the rest of the team?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And I saw absolutely nothing from Bradley to suggest he was captain material. Couldn't marshal the defence, so what chance he'd do any good with the rest of the team?

That was kind of the point.  He's been skipper at other clubs so you would expect him to be vocal and marshal well. Nothing visible or audible last night so wondering what is up. Then suggesting maybe being skipper is what brings that out of him. Just suggestions. You don't go from being a well thought of leader to a useless mute overnight. 

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To be fair, how are you supposed to marshal a defence if you don't understand your own role in it? None of them look comfortable with the system so why would they be vocal about others when they're struggling to do their own jobs?

3 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

That was kind of the point.  He's been skipper at other clubs so you would expect him to be vocal and marshal well. Nothing visible or audible last night so wondering what is up. Then suggesting maybe being skipper is what brings that out of him. Just suggestions. You don't go from being a well thought of leader to a useless mute overnight. 

Well perhaps he was a Keogh-style captain? This isn't his manor? Doesn't look committed, missed two real sitters now from corners too.

To be fair, how are you supposed to marshal a defence if you don't understand your own role in it? 

He played in a 3/5 at Luton, why doesn't he understand his role?

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

They simply wouldn't.  He's 5ft 10 with no pace. He absolutely will never be a 5m centre back. Ever. What you lack in certain areas you make up for elsewhere. 

He doesn't have the basics to be a big sale. Other clubs make money because those players are simply better.

18 months ago he was strolling through Championship games like he'd been there all his life.  Last season he the 3rd best rated player in the entire of League One, per whoscored (I know their rankings aren't great, but at least it's an attempt at being unbiased about players).  He's not suddenly become a terrible player overnight, he's being played in a position and system that clearly doesn't suit him, and he's still comfortably outplaying the 2 supposedly championship-quality centre backs alongside him.

You say you make up for what you lack... How often has he lost a header or got beaten in the air?  I'm genuinely struggling to think of any examples at all. He reads the game well, he times his jumps well, and he's strong enough to battle physically for headers.  And yes he lacks pace, but how often was that an issue in a back 4 last season? A tiny handful of times maybe?  Because again, he reads the game well, he stays on his feet and he's strong enough to battle for things.  He's easily good enough to play top-end championship and he's probably good enough for a lower prem team to take a punt on, and those players go for £5m.

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

18 months ago he was strolling through Championship games like he'd been there all his life.  Last season he the 3rd best rated player in the entire of League One, per whoscored (I know their rankings aren't great, but at least it's an attempt at being unbiased about players).  He's not suddenly become a terrible player overnight, he's being played in a position and system that clearly doesn't suit him, and he's still comfortably outplaying the 2 supposedly championship-quality centre backs alongside him.

You say you make up for what you lack... How often has he lost a header or got beaten in the air?  I'm genuinely struggling to think of any examples at all. He reads the game well, he times his jumps well, and he's strong enough to battle physically for headers.  And yes he lacks pace, but how often was that an issue in a back 4 last season? A tiny handful of times maybe?  Because again, he reads the game well, he stays on his feet and he's strong enough to battle for things.  He's easily good enough to play top-end championship and he's probably good enough for a lower prem team to take a punt on, and those players go for £5m.

Are you comparing Bradley to players worth 5m? Can you come and value my house please?

Ah, cashin. My point still stands, but your valuation is less crazy.

Edited by oodledoodle

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Very true

6 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Are you comparing Bradley to players worth 5m? Can you come and value my house please?

Ah, cashin. My point still stands, but your valuation is less crazy.

I'm looking at people like Dara O'Shea, who went to Burnley for £7m this summer.  Obviously he's 3 years older and has some Irish caps. Matt Clarke (the guy we had on loan) went for £2.5m to West Brom a year ago, and he's not exactly the quickest or tallest.  There's no reason Cashin couldn't go for somewhere in that kind of ballpark, if we play him to his strengths for a couple more seasons.

2 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Basically, score goals and create. Let’s face it in this team we are going to need goals from all over the pitch. 

yeah he probably chips in with 6-8 goals. but i think bird is equally as creative. Bird was really creative in pre season and would probably get more assists if he took hourihane's set pieces