v Burton Albion (A) Match Thread

Kernow

Started off so well.  Then he turns into Travis Bickle as the rage takes over on the realisation his big day outs been ruined .😂

Watched on video feed from Italy. Burton the better footballing side for most of the game but Derby just had that edge in terms of counter attack and making chances from half-chances. A good League One team who may well trouble the play-offs this season. Burton are a bit short of guile and specific action - do well but don’t creat much and when chances come it is hit and miss. They look more of a team collectively but don’t have a spark. Money buys that I suppose and Derby have money now they have written off their debts leaving small businesses in their local area struggling to pay wages of the staff who probably still support this abhorrent, idle-rich, arrogant toss rag of a club. I hope they get promoted so they can have their noses rubbed into the dirt by richer cheats.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Started off so well.  Then he turns into Travis Bickle as the rage takes over on the realisation his big day outs been ruined .😂

Watched on video feed from Italy. Burton the better footballing side for most of the game but Derby just had that edge in terms of counter attack and making chances from half-chances. A good League One team who may well trouble the play-offs this season. Burton are a bit short of guile and specific action - do well but don’t creat much and when chances come it is hit and miss. They look more of a team collectively but don’t have a spark. Money buys that I suppose and Derby have money now they have written off their debts leaving small businesses in their local area struggling to pay wages of the staff who probably still support this abhorrent, idle-rich, arrogant toss rag of a club. I hope they get promoted so they can have their noses rubbed into the dirt by richer cheats.

So a reasonable and informed take on our situation by a not at all bitter little corner of the Burton on Trent cultural diaspora?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I felt the first 10 minutes showed real promise, we got off to a good start thanks to a fantastic delivery from Hourihane and header from Collins. Moments later, NML should’ve scored thanks to fantastic work from Collins. Forsyth then had that weird back pass header that looped over Wildsmith and out for a corner and then I felt the panic in the team. We were then comfortably second best all over the pitch, mostly in midfield, but Bradley had a few weird moments, as did Wildsmith. 

At half-time, I wanted to see a couple of changes and a bit of game management. Warne opted to keep the players who ended the first half on the pitch and from the kick off where we went back to Cashin and he was pressured to which Burton won a throw-in, you’re expecting the worse after how the week has gone. Nevertheless, from that moment onwards, we took control of the game and created a number of very good opportunities - it finished 3-0 but Bird should’ve scored and NML probably twice. The improvement in the midfield in the second half was excellent and very pleasing. If we can get the ball to Hourihane in and around the box then there is not many better in the league at that range and so it proved. Good to see Waghorn come on and have an immediate effect, honestly looks far too good for this level technically and is still fit enough to get about. Washington off the mark. All in all, a very good second half performance after what was a fairly concerning first one. 

An away win and a good second half performance is definitely two things we struggled with last season, though, so maybe this win is bigger than we thought - our first in the league at Burton too. 

Player ratings for what it’s worth - 

Wildsmith - 6

Nelson - 7
Bradley - 6
Cashin - 6

Ward - 7
Hourihane - 8
Smith - 6
Bird - 8
Forsyth - 7

NML - 7
Collins - 8

Waghorn - 7
Washington - 7
Thompson - 6
Elder, Wilson - N/A

Very accurate summary of the game. I felt it was a good performance but one that doesn’t prove anything until we can replicate it at pride park when teams will be a little less willing to go forward.

I thought the chance creation was a little more creative than recent weeks but would like to see us try to create a similar amount against a team who are sitting back and more stubborn. 

Overall, a pleasing performance today though. 

COYRRRRRRR

I'm not surprised warne was upset on Tuesday. Seems through the interviews and the highlights it was seen as a poor performance. NML looked a bit downbeat about the performances in his interview on Friday

I thought we looked much better yesterday and I'm sure it'll be a huge confidence boost and we can kick on.

What was needed yesterday was 3 points and that’s what we fought for and got , sometimes it’s that simple 🤷🏻‍♂️,

wasn’t the greatest performance but there were bright spots , bird further forward may work , he was spot on yesterday along with Collins looking like a real cf , it fine margins as I don’t think we were that bad v Wigan by comparison,

on warne interview stuff I’m guessing it’s took him a bit by surprise just how much a club like derby puts you in the goldfish bowl compared to Rotherham and that may be a steep learning curve for someone as honest and open as he obviously is ,

on to Oxford , keep the same side for me and let’s build some confidence and continuity 

Thought Warne's post match comments were spot on. He didn't look too upbeat or negative. I'm assuming some relief because if today went a bit sour then he'd be right up against the wall. I had the feeling from management 3-0 is probably what is expected of us, considering the teams at the top are hammering the lesser sides.

Have to consider this is Burton's biggest game of the season and they did nothing 2nd half. As much as PW bumbled along on his interview on Tuesday, I think somehow it fired up Bird and a few others. Birdy looked superb today. A shame he fluffed his lines up when he had that easy chance. 

Hopefully we can get some good results against those bigger sides now. Our achilles heel last season. Fingers crossed 🤞

I haven't commented on the match yet, it's so easy to sit back after a good win and think "job done" but that wasn't how I was feeling for a large part of the game. 

After a bright start, the early goal should have suited us as it brought Burton out of their shell and into attack mode. I thought we didn't deal with it too well. We dropped in quite deep and some of our play at the back was very nervy in that first half. 

Second half we started to see the gaps appear that gave us some space to play into, but even then there was a lot of hoofing the ball forwards from our defence without any real intent of finding a forward. Watching Hourihane and Bird trying to win headers in midfield is not my idea of fun!

Thankfully, those two players had the nouse to keep trying to play their football and Burton were tiring rapidly. It didn't help that when we did break free, most of our chances fell to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who appeared to have left his finishing boots at home (decent saves from the goalkeeper too). 

The relief when the second goal went in was palpable both on and off the pitch! The fans relaxed, the players relaxed and we started to play some very attractive football., which rewarded us with that third goal. 

I hope the players and fans take some confidence from yesterday's game. It wasn't as good as the score suggests, just as the Wigan game wasn't as bad as the play. (The less said about the Blackpool game the better!)

Confidence is such a fragile thing. Players new to the Club who must desperately want to impress trying a bit too hard; current players who have been playing a different style for much of their footballing lives; fans who want us to win, yes, but who also like to see decent football. 

I'm now looking forward to the Oxford game to see whether yesterday was a turning point, or whether we will have to be patient a while longer for it all to gel together.

Same starting team for me, please. Put as much effort in as Collins did yesterday and we'll be right!

Just seen the highlights from yesterday.

Still coming to terms with how a professional footballer can miss an open goal from 4 yards out with no pressure on them, glad it didn't matter in the end.

Nevermind about new strikers, chances like that are gifts we can't afford to be turning down.

Nice to see as well that it's not just our defenders whom play suicide passes. 

Onwards to Tuesday. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Still coming to terms with how a professional footballer can miss an open goal from 4 yards out with no pressure on them, glad it didn't matter in the end.

Nevermind about new strikers, chances like that are gifts we can't afford to be turning down.

Onwards to Tuesday. 

Keeper gets a touch and Bird can't readjust his body in time. Very harsh take on it.

Just posted in the Bird thread that it was reminiscent of the Gazza miss at Euro 96 just the opposite. Gazza expecting the touch from the keeper who doesn't and misses the ball by cms, Bird not expecting the touch and the ball goes behind him.

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Onwards to Tuesday. 

Be better asking how NML missed three sitters all well in his stride, rather than one that was nudged behind the path of Birdy.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Be better asking how NML missed three sitters all well in his stride, rather than one that was nudged behind the path of Birdy.

I didn't see any other chances we had where we missed an open goal from 4 yards out.

Probably didn't include them in the highlights clips. My bad. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Onwards to Tuesday. 

First time it’s ever happened then? 

Bless him. Never lost to Burton at The Pirelli - in that long running sequence of 3 games. Geography not his strong suit either.  When did they play Southampton.

Overall, a very depressing day and I am gutted that our record of never having lost to the scum in a competitive game at the Pirelli has come to an end. I was very proud of that record and always had that to taunt the Rams that I know. Oh well, perhaps we'll beat them at Pride Park in January. Here's hoping.

41 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't miss an open goal, their goalie saved it - there's a difference.

It's ok to just admit he missed it Roy. 

He can play really well and still miss a sitter. 9 times out of 10 he puts that in. The 'deviation' or speed of the cross isn't beyond the reaction times of the average professional footballer to adjust accordingly. He fluffed it - and that's ok.