Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

On 17/08/2023 at 08:50, Anag Ram said:

Max Bird is the last remaining player in our squad who can actually play football. He is calm under pressure and can pick a pass.

It’s not his fault he’s surrounded by less talented players.

He is one of those who will be a better player elsewhere. He was at his best learning from Rooney. He won’t get better in a hoofball side.

I’ll be gutted when he leaves but I guess it’s all part of our transition from a chrysalis to a slug.

Jake roony can play there to .ate he can pass the ball and get stuck in.as we have missed that this season.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Time offer him a new contract so if they want him going have to pay through the nose for him.

Love your enthusiasm, but let's be serious. The reason he hasn't signed a new contract is that he doesn't want to, not that we haven't offered one.

If the rumours of Warne using Bird and Cashin sales to fund a new team are true, he must be spitting feathers. Poor signings and injuries have put us in the mud.

8 hours ago, David said:

Makes you laugh though, Bird was meant to be top of their Wishlist, would have signed a 3 or 4 year deal had they agreed a fee.

Now he's injured for a few weeks, oh no, that's it, we're not interested and will find someone else instead. 

8 to 10 weeks. Then you will need 2 to 3 weeks to get match fit again.

Everyone has 3 targets for every position. 

It would be madness to spend millions on someone injured. A Bielik kind of madness. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

8 to 10 weeks. Then you will need 2 to 3 weeks to get match fit again.

Everyone has 3 targets for every position. 

It would be madness to spend millions on someone injured. A Bielik kind of madness. 

Should be ready and match fit just in time for the January transfer window then, thats us paying 3/4 months wages, no game time, just fixing him only for him to probably leave then, oh and for a reduced fee as only a couple of months left on his contract.. not good 

We won't get a fee for him now - maybe I'm being overly pessimistic at the moment (I put some of this down to our early season form) but it seems like Hull have been the only side to register serious interest and they'll simply wait until the end of the season to nab him "on a free" 

I assume with his age and number of years at Derby we'd still get some compensation for him at that point? My understanding was that if we offer him a contract equivalent or better than his current deal then any team picking him up would be obliged to pay us compensation for development?

What a complete mess up.

If it was clear that PW needed the Bird sale to fund other players, then we should have pushed the deal through as quickly as possible, and not played him.

Now, as others have pointed out, we have a player with little, if any, sale value, who might not want to be here, playing in a system that might not suit him.

And when he is fit, do we try and fit him into the team (by which time hopefully we have settled on a formation, playing style and team) knowing he probably leaves next summer?

Complete mismanagement of the situation all round.

1 minute ago, Addingham Ram said:

What a complete mess up.

If it was clear that PW needed the Bird sale to fund other players, then we should have pushed the deal through as quickly as possible, and not played him.

Now, as others have pointed out, we have a player with little, if any, sale value, who might not want to be here, playing in a system that might not suit him.

And when he is fit, do we try and fit him into the team (by which time hopefully we have settled on a formation, playing style and team) knowing he probably leaves next summer?

That's a fair big 'if' though, and one there is zero evidence to support. 

He may sign a new deal now that a move away is off the table. He then would have resale value and would want to play for the club... that outcome is equally as likely as the one you've suggested. 

I'd argue framing it the way you have is needlessly pessimistic at this stage. 

18 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

What a complete mess up.

How do you “push the deal through” if the buyer is making ridiculous bids (assuming that’s what has happened)? Just accept their offer? Bird is a valuable player and it was right for him to be played (no one can have foreseen the injury) until/unless a respectable offer is received. 

To either accept a silly offer or not play him when only silly offers are on the table is what I would describe as complete mismanagement.

Edited by Tamworthram