Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

1 minute ago, Rample said:

Coventry in the bidding aswell. 

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouths-league-one-rivals-derby-county-could-lose-key-man-as-hull-city-and-coventry-make-bids-4251553

Pretty sure he'll be off somewhere, but its probably going to drag on 2 weeks and at best we'll get calamity Spurs lad back on loan.

That’s on about Coventry in for Kitching rather than Bird. Headline is misleading, but obviously knew viewers would spike mentioning Derby.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

That’s on about Coventry in for Kitching rather than Bird. Headline is misleading, but obviously knew viewers would spike mentioning Derby.

Following on from news that Coventry are in for Kitching I can neither confirm or deny reports that I’m doing some freelancing work for the Sky Blues.

I like Bird in that advanced role. I hope he stays as I think he could have a very productive season. 

Unless we strengthen in midfield Smith can/should play that deep lying role but I can't help think we would be improved significantly with a mobile destroyer type to protect the back 3 and give Bird, Hourihane and the wingbacks license to bomb on. Without that we are exposed and the CBs aren't quite mobile enough IMO. The squad gaps elsewhere are well documented and I do think we need to address them with permanent signings or quality loans (easier said than done obvs)

So in summary:

Keep Bird

Get CDM

Get LWB (we could survive without)

Get CF

Get another no. 10

Get champagne on ice...

2 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I like Bird in that advanced role. I hope he stays as I think he could have a very productive season. 

Unless we strengthen in midfield Smith can/should play that deep lying role but I can't help think we would be improved significantly with a mobile destroyer type to protect the back 3 and give Bird, Hourihane and the wingbacks license to bomb on. Without that we are exposed and the CBs aren't quite mobile enough IMO. The squad gaps elsewhere are well documented and I do think we need to address them with permanent signings or quality loans (easier said than done obvs)

So in summary:

Keep Bird

Get CDM

Get LWB (we could survive without)

Get CF

Get another no. 10

Get champagne on ice...

I persothink we'll have a great season if we just do the first two of those.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I persothink we'll have a great season if we just do the first two of those.

You're probably right. I'm broadly happy at CF, LWB we can cope. I can't help feel we need more pace and guile to give us an option at no. 10 or wide forward but I accept, Sibs and Barks are yet to feature and are both good for goals and assists if used correctly.

A mobile CDM beast is a gap for me. 

I keep seeing comments about us needing a proper defensive midfielder. Surely with 3 at the back that shouldn’t be a necessity? I could understand someone who’s a bit of a ratter like Shinnie, but not sure about needing an out and out defensive midfielder. 

Or, is this just an indictment that we don’t have the right CBs for playing 3 at the back?

First game of the season tonight, so I’m looking forward to being able to make some more informed opinions 😊 COYR 🐏 

5 minutes ago, Mountain Ram said:

I keep seeing comments about us needing a proper defensive midfielder. Surely with 3 at the back that shouldn’t be a necessity? I could understand someone who’s a bit of a ratter like Shinnie, but not sure about needing an out and out defensive midfielder. 

Or, is this just an indictment that we don’t have the right CBs for playing 3 at the back?

First game of the season tonight, so I’m looking forward to being able to make some more informed opinions 😊 COYR 🐏 

Perhaps, but teams seem to stroll right through the middle of our midfield. We very rarely dominate that area of the pitch and, when they do get bypassed, our midfielders have no pace to get back.

Combine that with the back 5 looking shaky at present and you have a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, Mountain Ram said:

For me it's about making sure you can get the best out of the wingbacks and other midfielders and a recognition that a back 3 is susceptible to being pulled apart. A mobile CDM is just going to give you that cover so that you can capitalise on the advantages of the system. Without that kind of player you either end up playing with 5 at the back or leaving huge gaps to exploit (Wigan did a number on us here)

8 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

For me it's about making sure you can get the best out of the wingbacks and other midfielders and a recognition that a back 3 is susceptible to being pulled apart. A mobile CDM is just going to give you that cover so that you can capitalise on the advantages of the system. Without that kind of player you either end up playing with 5 at the back or leaving huge gaps to exploit (Wigan did a number on us here)

Indeed. The much maligned Darryl Powell did this for us in Jim Smiths team

24 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

...and yet Warne plays in a manner where you intentionally don't have someone performing that mobile CDM role, so the whole squad does more running to make up the deficit.

I'm still not sure how he managed to have such a good defensive record if he played this way in his last season at Rotherham though, surely it can't be as limited and as obvious as it sounds, there must be more to it.

Either that or it just took teams by surprise that season and now some have figured it out.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

...and yet Warne plays in a manner where you intentionally don't have someone performing that mobile CDM role, so the whole squad does more running to make up the deficit.

I'm still not sure how he managed to have such a good defensive record if he played this way in his last season at Rotherham though, surely it can't be as limited and as obvious as it sounds, there must be more to it.

Either that or it just took teams by surprise that season and now some have figured it out.

I agree with you on that. I seem to recall someone saying he did have a beast in front of the defence, someone with better knowledge will be able to clarify that.

For now I think Smith can do that job but I'd prefer to see us strengthen that specifically and it could be a key piece of the jigsaw. Even a John Eustace type would do. It's also about game management.

To everyone else, I'm sorry for going off topic. At least I haven't made a pun...

12 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

I agree with you on that. I seem to recall someone saying he did have a beast in front of the defence, someone with better knowledge will be able to clarify that.

In league one it was mostly Wiles, with Barlaser and Rathbone filling in.

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We either have to get him gone ASAFP so we have time to replace him, or he has to stay even if that means losing him for less in January or nothing in the summer.

It is absolutely pointless for this to rumble on until deadline day, him to go and for us to be left short. 

The problem is I don't see us replacing him with a permanent signing. If we lose him tomorrow and have 2 weeks to get someone in it won't change much if anything compared to losing him on deadline day..

PW is already chasing loans that will likely only come in at the last minute.

I think I'm on the side of keeping him until January now unless we get a bid that actually means we can bring someone decent in. Selling him weakens us considerably unless there is some incentive like a loan or swap involved.