Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

21 hours ago, sage said:

It was a diversion from his own poor tactics, pre-season, recruitment and team selection.  

If I was Bird I'd be in his office in the morning demanding an apology. 

I’ve refrained from commenting but people are entitled to criticise his game, but that’s not Max’s style from what my lad tells me. He’s only ever heard him be critical years ago about Cocu but he had a drink. 

Max has always had ambition, there’s no secret who he supported as a kid, but he wasn’t looking to move this summer; some of the comments on this thread as just so way off the mark and largely sparked by a bloke who is starting to talk about as much sense as julio geordio 

It is possible that it could be bird along with cashin and sibley , it doesn’t necessarily need to be only players in the team last night it may include players not playing last night but if there’s a few it could be warne feels it’s having a downer effect on the squad and the togetherness?

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, sage said:

He did accept some responsibility but he threw Bird under the bus. 

Everyone knew who he meant. Radio Derby picked up on it straight away.

It obvious.

I agree

warne threw him under the bus to divert attention

my worry is the dressing rooms don’t often take kindly to that kind of thing, if it’s bird this week it could be somebody else the next week

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

It is possible that it could be bird along with cashin and sibley , it doesn’t necessarily need to be only players in the team last night it may include players not playing last night but if there’s a few it could be warne feels it’s having a downer effect on the squad and the togetherness?

It won't be Sibley since he didn't play last night

9 hours ago, sage said:

They haven't got an answer. Radio Derby immediately said it was Bird. It's laughable that people keep defending this. 

Perhaps Knighty dropped them a Whatsapp telling them how the grass was greener even with Pearson! 😄

10 hours ago, sage said:

They haven't got an answer. Radio Derby immediately said it was Bird. It's laughable that people keep defending this. 

I don't understand why anyone is giving the comment any credibility.  As soon as he said it he started to back-track talking about how a bid for one player could have a knock on effect on someone else.  Probably realised he'd just dropped a clnager. A week or so ago he was dismissing offers saying how they came in all the time.  

Really poor comments to air publicly and just looked like he was trying to deflect blame from himself.

10 hours ago, sage said:

And even if it isn't Bird, people were obviously going to jump to the conclusion it was him, given the Hull bid.  Warne has basically started a witch hunt with that comment - we've already got people who've basically decided that Bird has downed tools and demanded a transfer and should be sold immediately.  How is this possibly helping the club?  

If there are genuinely issues (and I have no idea if there are), then either keep it in-house, or make a generic "Max's head isn't quite right after the bid, so we're going to keep him out of the team for a couple of games while everything gets sorted" type statement and deal with it properly.  It does seem to me like Warne has no clue why we're performing the way we are, and is reaching for random excuses though - he "feels" a couple of players might have had their heads turned, so he doesn't even know anything for sure.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

And even if it isn't Bird, people were obviously going to jump to the conclusion it was him, given the Hull bid.  Warne has basically started a witch hunt with that comment - we've already got people who've basically decided that Bird has downed tools and demanded a transfer and should be sold immediately.  How is this possibly helping the club?  

If there are genuinely issues (and I have no idea if there are), then either keep it in-house, or make a generic "Max's head isn't quite right after the bid, so we're going to keep him out of the team for a couple of games while everything gets sorted" type statement and deal with it properly.  It does seem to me like Warne has no clue why we're performing the way we are, and is reaching for random excuses though - he "feels" a couple of players might have had their heads turned, so he doesn't even know anything for sure.

Perhaps he's hearing voices 🙂

Sorry, just a tenuous link so I could play this classic.

If his agent or the lad himself have expressed a desire to leave then get a good deal for the club and bring people in who want to be here the same for all the players there is no loyalty in football anymore. 

But I wouldn't want to join hull because Liam will be one of the first casualties if there results keep going the way they are 2 losses already one against the mighty doncaster

Edited by Thameram

18 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But if we want to scramble promotion why not keep him and ditch Hourihane?

This is a joke. Surely, I know stats aren't everything but if you are comparing players who perform in similar positions then it is not unreasonable to take them into account.

Last season: Hourihane 44 games, 7 goals, 10 assists (4th in League 1 for chances created and 5th for assists). Bird 38 games, 1 goal, 4 assists.

I know who I'd be picking first on the team sheet if we want to get promotion.

15 minutes ago, Topram said:

Might find out who Warne was on about today, guessing it’s his presser 

I doubt it. I'm a Warne fan but even I was uneasy about his public comments. He will either not comment or back track and/or laugh it off. Take your pick as to the best course of action.

9 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

I doubt it. I'm a Warne fan but even I was uneasy about his public comments. He will either not comment or back track and/or laugh it off. Take your pick as to the best course of action.

Or he will comment endlessly but not really say much, so all three of your choices I'd have thought.

32 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

This is a joke. Surely, I know stats aren't everything but if you are comparing players who perform in similar positions then it is not unreasonable to take them into account.

Last season: Hourihane 44 games, 7 goals, 10 assists (4th in League 1 for chances created and 5th for assists). Bird 38 games, 1 goal, 4 assists.

I know who I'd be picking first on the team sheet if we want to get promotion.

Stats aren't everything but....

Hourihane had 5 assists from set pieces, 5 from open play. A couple of those freekick assists were little taps to the side for some McGoldrick magic and Ward will be taking at least half of those set pieces this season so his output will decrease.

Sibley and Bird both created almost twice as many chances as Hourihane for teammates in open play last season, and both make 50% more tackles per 90.

The important thing in a Warne side is ability to press and win the ball back. When will Hourihane ever be that type of player?

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stats aren't everything but....

Hourihane had 5 assists from set pieces, 5 from open play. A couple of those freekick assists were little taps to the side for some McGoldrick magic and Ward will be taking at least half of those set pieces this season so his output will decrease.

Sibley and Bird both created almost twice as many chances as Hourihane for teammates in open play last season, and both make 50% more tackles per 90.

The important thing in a Warne side is ability to press and win the ball back. When will Hourihane ever be that type of player?

You could say that for both of them. I just think hourihane and Bird can't play in the same midfield 1 has to be dropped and in my eyes that would be Bird