Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

9 hours ago, sage said:

It was a diversion from his own poor tactics, pre-season, recruitment and team selection.  

If I was Bird I'd be in his office in the morning demanding an apology. 

I mean it wasn't at all, clearly you missed or decided to ignore the part where warne admitted it was his fault in terms of tactics and him not getting the message across as well as he could?? 

I'm not saying he should have said it but he said a few players and it could affect the way they play as he was vastly disappointed in their abject display

Hull are rumoured to be selling Tetteh to a Turkish club for £/€1.5m, perhaps that’s helping fund a renewed bid for Bird. 
I’ll be disappointed if this one happens as I really like Bird as a player. I agree with some observations that he could be affecting games more, but for me the maturity and composure he shows for someone still relatively young, along with his touch and range of passing are admirable. 
However, as I’ve said many times before, players come and go so if he leaves I’d wish him well and hope there’s still the option to strengthen the midfield further….or we really will be up a creek with barely a kayak let alone a paddle! 

The most disappointing thing would be that we apparently cannot reinvest the fees received due to a pre-agreed plan.

He’s not irreplaceable. He is however irreplaceable if we can’t spend a penny of his fee.

Roll on next year when we don’t have to ask the EFL for permission before we can wipe our arse.

2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I’d get rid! If your manager is saying that your heads turned you’ve obviously asked to leave. There is no sentiment in football (even though we have signed Waggy 😂

If we can use the funds to sign a proper striker and a prem loan then it’s fine by me. 

Pretty sure I remember a home interview during covid with Max and he had Man United stuff in his room, although he's a Derby lad I dont think he "supports" the Rams, he might not have as much of a bond to us as some think and want to go elsewhere during his career. 

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The most disappointing thing would be that we apparently cannot reinvest the fees received due to a pre-agreed plan.

He’s not irreplaceable. He is however irreplaceable if we can’t spend a penny of his fee.

Roll on next year when we don’t have to ask the EFL for permission before we can wipe our arse.

This is disappointing I agree, as even if we sell Bird we don't seem to be able to reinvest his fees to buy a proper replacement.

34 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

This is disappointing I agree, as even if we sell Bird we don't seem to be able to reinvest his fees to buy a proper replacement.

Not sure where all this crap is coming from the EFL won't let us buy players. I haven't heard that from either the club or the EFL. Only a week or two ago Warne was saying he could use his current budget to pay a £250k fee for a player, but that would limit how many he could bring in from 3 to 2. If Bird or Cashin go, then I suspect it is within Clowes discretion how much might be allocated to Warne, or set aside for other expense related items that keep the club sustainable.

Edited by i-Ram

Bird just doesn’t do enough. Not strong enough in the tackle to be a CDM, not got the engine to be box to box, not quick enough of thought or progressive enough with his passing to play more advanced. I don’t see what we’d lose if he wasn’t in the team. I’d happily revamp the whole midfield. We need energy and creativity and we don’t have anywhere near enough currently. 

31 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure where all this crap is coming from the EFL won't let us buy players. I haven't heard that from either the club or the EFL. Only a week or two ago Warne was saying he could use his current budget to pay a £250k fee for a player, but that would limit how many he could bring in from 3 to 2. If Bird or Cashin go, then I suspect it is within Clowes discretion how much might be allocated to Warne, or set aside for other expense related items that keep the club sustainable.

I think in the same interview Warne stated that the business plan figures had been pre-agreed and didn't take into account any additional income received from transfers. So whilst we may now be able to pay fees that we couldn't before we can't reinvest funds from transfers in addition to the agreed budget so we're still looking at frees/nominal fees only. Not ITK but just my understanding of what's been said in public. 

17 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I'd sell him after last night.  No pride in wearing the shirt

Just last night? Was he proud to wear the shirt up until last night? Is this definitely your opinion, and not influenced by what Paul Warne said yesterday which has been interpreted widely as referring to Max Bird having had his "head turned"? What did you see from him last night that led you to this conclusion?

Edit: Out of interest, were you surprised that Warne didn't take Bird off last night?

Edited by Guest

Moot point if we can't reinvest. We'll be due compensation for him next year if he leaves, and for all intents and purposes we'll probably be offered (relative) peanuts for him anyway. In the meantime it would only hurt us this season, so what's the point?

I'm surprised that a business plan that we signed up to however seems to have no allowance for receiving decent transfer fees and reinvesting. 

19 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I'd sell him after last night.  No pride in wearing the shirt

Seems a little harsh. Whilst Bird probably hasn’t delivered to the high expectations many had for him, I really don’t think you could say he hasn’t worn the shirt with pride these last few years.

That said, for all the ability he seems to have, he doesn’t yet dominate games whether that is defensively or offensively. He has moments of clear ability (like we saw with a couple of key passes against Wigan) and then he has long periods when he goes missing in games (like we also saw against Wigan). 

I actually think Sibley (when fit) would provide a better option in the role Max is being asked to play currently. Sibley is happy to carry the ball at defenders and take shots at goal and I think would give a better balance than Bird if partnered with Smith and Hourihane.  

However, we would still need more in that Attacking Midfield / Forwards area and if the funds could be reinvested to bring a couple of more dynamic players in to fill that space then I’d see it as an overall positive.

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Bird just doesn’t do enough. Not strong enough in the tackle to be a CDM, not got the engine to be box to box, not quick enough of thought or progressive enough with his passing to play more advanced. I don’t see what we’d lose if he wasn’t in the team. I’d happily revamp the whole midfield. We need energy and creativity and we don’t have anywhere near enough currently. 

This.

I’ll be boarding the Warne out wagon if it turns out his comments last night are the difference between Bird staying and leaving. 

Class player. Didn’t do enough last season but isn’t his fault rosenior bought in 2 very similar CMs to play with him. No coincidence our form fell off a cliff without him in the side though.

A shame he’s perennially underrated by our fans. 

He may well have been on his way without those comments but he’s one we should h e been aiming to build a team around moving forwards.