Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ll be boarding the Warne out wagon if it turns out his comments last night are the difference between Bird staying and leaving. 

Class player. Didn’t do enough last season but isn’t his fault rosenior bought in 2 very similar CMs to play with him. No coincidence our form fell off a cliff without him in the side though.

A shame he’s perennially underrated by our fans. 

He may well have been on his way without those comments but he’s one we should h e been aiming to build a team around moving forwards. 

Please tell me what Max Bird has done to be labelled a "class player"?

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Please tell me what Max Bird has done to be labelled a "class player"?

He’s literally the only midfielder capable of driving forwards with the ball (highlights from last night show that despite a disappointing performance he was able to shimmy his way through 3 Blackpool players before laying it into the forward as just 1 example). 
He has got a killer pass on him (Stoke pre season for just 1 example). 
He is technically gifted and completely 2 footed. 

Obviously I’m talking about him in the context we find ourselves but he’s impressed Cocu, Lampard, Rooney, Rosenior and Warne. Regardless of thoughts on individual managers that is 5 managers in a row who have rated him. 

I’ll ignore any lazy tropes about ‘always goes sideways’ too. 

34 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’s literally the only midfielder capable of driving forwards with the ball (highlights from last night show that despite a disappointing performance he was able to shimmy his way through 3 Blackpool players before laying it into the forward as just 1 example). 
He has got a killer pass on him (Stoke pre season for just 1 example). 
He is technically gifted and completely 2 footed. 

Obviously I’m talking about him in the context we find ourselves but he’s impressed Cocu, Lampard, Rooney, Rosenior and Warne. Regardless of thoughts on individual managers that is 5 managers in a row who have rated him. 

I’ll ignore any lazy tropes about ‘always goes sideways’ too. 

So there's two examples and one of them was in pre season.

He doesn't do that anywhere near enough. 

20 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

So there's two examples and one of them was in pre season.

He doesn't do that anywhere near enough. 

I gave you the most recent examples - I was hardly Gonna pinpoint specifics from last season was I? and my original post you replied to acknowledged last season was far from ideal for him but it was his injury that timed with our decline… 

8 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

I thought Wigans two young CM were much better 

The 21 year old attacking mid with 14 goal contributions in 95 games, only 4 of which in the Championship, or, the 22 year old CM with just 2 goals and 6 assists in 86 first team games, none higher than League 1.

Bird has 15 goal contributions, with 4 of those coming in his most recent season in the Championship whilst playing as the deepest midfielder with little licence to push forward, and 6 last season. As I also pointed out recently, no CM under 23 had more open play assists than Bird in League 1 or Championship last season.

I love Bird, but we are in a s*** situation so if he wants to go and we get the money we think he’s worth we’re going to have to take it as he’ll be gone for free next year which is even worse for us.

If we get a good midfielder on loan + maybe a solid holding midfielder at this level to bolster options aswell as using birds wages to tempt a striker it could balance us out more.

We are in league one players are going to want to leave it’s not fun to see for us but it’s our new reality.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I love Bird, but we are in a s*** situation so if he wants to go and we get the money we think he’s worth we’re going to have to take it as he’ll be gone for free next year which is even worse for us.

If we get a good midfielder on loan + maybe a solid holding midfielder at this level to bolster options aswell as using birds wages to tempt a striker it could balance us out more.

We are in league one players are going to want to leave it’s not fun to see for us but it’s our new reality.

He won't be gone for free - we'd get compensation. 

A good midfielder on loan like White? Good midfielders will go to the Championship. Getting rid of our best players for peanuts will not help us in the short or long term. If the new reality is losing all our good young players how on earth will we get any other decent signings in?!

If we did get Jensen Weir on loan and Ryan woods as part of the Bird deal I think we could have great balance in there with Woods behind Weir and Hourihane. 

Hull fans said Woods looked good all pre season and maybe deserved a chance in the team this year. I think he’d definitely still be good enough at this level. 

if we did manage to pull off the Weir deal that would mean our two advanced 8’s would have had 17 goals and 15 assist between them last year in league one. Would be very exciting but who knows it’s just paper talk atm.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A good midfielder on loan like White? Good midfielders will go to the Championship. Getting rid of our best players for peanuts will not help us in the short or long term. If the new reality is losing all our good young players how on earth will we get any other decent signings in?!

If they are not going to sign to stay then we have to sell them when we have chance as it’s not going to change until we scramble promotion 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your right but we could definitely get a lot more this year than the compensation next.