Billy Sharp

Dartmouth Ram

Makes me wonder how or even why DCFC fans think PW would sign Sharpe, Sharpe's on record for his dislike of Derby fans...good striker tho he is...he would be a little tricky to calm down when sections of the crowd would greet him with a song or 2 concerning his private life.

But as a well known pundit once said..."Footballs a funny old game"

Nothing against the bloke but he's far too old for me. Given that we've now got Collins and Washington both in their 30's we should now be looking for forwards in that 23-28 age range that's been talked about.

Sam Smith all day long for me and possibly Lee Bonis although the latter is an admittedly a gamble.

2 hours ago, Dartmouth Ram said:

Chances of this one happening? Slim or non?

Who'd want him here anyway given his past history with us?

Mick Harford’s deliberate OG v Luton comes to mind, except Sharp would have a penalty in the 96th minute of the PO final at Wembley to see us into the Championship…..

51 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Need a poll. Godden\ Sharp/neither 

Whole story seems to suggest Godden is second option but in my opinion I’d prefer him.

Not for anything Sharp has done wrong but because he’s younger and more mobile.

Billy Sharp guaranteed as over the hill at 37.

Godden is 31.

Godden seasonal stats:

2022/23 scored 8 goals

2021/22 scored 12 goals

2020/21 scored 6 goals

2019/20 scored 15 goals

2018/19 scored 18 goals

2017/18 scored 14 goals.

Many of these were scored at championship level.

I would be very happy if the club signs godden.

If Paul Warne wants to sign him.

If Billy wants to sign for us.

If a deal could be agreed for just a year deal.

I would be happy.

Not interested what's been said in the past, it's the past and it was said as a Sheffield United/Nottingham Forest player, if he joined Derby he would be a Derby County player.

Wasn't Paul Warne publicly disappointed that Sheffield Wednesday were relegated instead of us? 

Now if he went full Billy Davies and said after scoring a hat trick for us he would prefer it to have been for Forest, then yeah we will have issues.

He's not someone that will be able to play 90 minutes twice a week, he could however play a part and give us a genuine goal threat and allow us to save money for the Championship where we will be in a better position to find a goalscorer that we can build an attack round.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's like @jimbobram says "It’s funny how he can remember that but can’t remember when derby fans supported him when he lost his child."

i’d guess that at the mention of our name he’d just tell his agent ‘no’. Be very surprised if he did otherwise, given the horrible chants he’s been subjected to. 

1 hour ago, DiggerB said:

Mick Harford’s deliberate OG v Luton comes to mind, except Sharp would have a penalty in the 96th minute of the PO final at Wembley to see us into the Championship…..

Yep that’s my worry , if he’s here but his heart is not really in it ,does he train properly,? does he give everything ? I’ve no problem with him but it’s clear some of our fans have and he has a problem with some of our fans , there’s been bad blad so why take the risk at his age and stage of his career, too easy to turn into a mess 🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s a goal scorer, we need a goal scorer, Warne hinted we may need to go over the 32 year old bracket to find a genuine prolific goal scorer.  If he comes, great, he’d undoubtedly be an asset.  That said, I can’t see it happening 

I can't see any out of us, Hull and Coventry wanting Sharpe really. Not sure he'd pass Warne's criteria even if.

It does go on to say Rotherham have already held talks. Local to him, and ironically they might need an extra body after we poached Washington.

I'd have thought he'd struggle to get picked up by a league one side in honesty.

49 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

i’d guess that at the mention of our name he’d just tell his agent ‘no’. Be very surprised if he did otherwise, given the horrible chants he’s been subjected to. 

We’re not the only club. He gets it most weeks for the simple reason he bites so easy. He also bites too often which is why he’s a tubby f*cka 

31 minutes ago, Rample said:

I'd have thought he'd struggle to get picked up by a league one side in honesty.

I'd have predicted something like player-coach at Doncaster.

The things alleged to have been said/written about him/his family were horrendous but even if a majority of fans would welcome him at PP, I don't see how he moves past the negativity he obviously has towards the club and the things he's said since.

So it's a non-starter for me, which is fine, because I'd rather take a chance on a League 2/non-league goalscorer than an elder statesman who doesn't seem to fit the Warne profile anyway.

1 hour ago, DanS1992 said:

Don't want him. Won't welcome him. He's an arrogant twit.

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2021/11/30/mohammed-salah-why-elite-strikers-need-to-be-selfish/

I didn't write the following, but i accept the articles view ...

Great strikers are often considered selfish because they need to be focused on scoring goals and winning games for their team. Here are some reasons why great strikers are often seen as selfish:

Yearning for glory: Strikers are often the heroes of the game, and the largest slice of glory is reserved for the goalscorer. To consistently deliver the volumes of goals required at the highest level, strikers need to be ambitious and self-centered.

Responsibility to score: As a striker, it's your job to score goals and win games for your team. This means that strikers need to be focused on taking shots and opportunities for themselves, rather than always passing the ball to their teammates.

Motivation to win: Strikers are often motivated by personal accolades, such as winning the Golden Boot, which is awarded to the top scorer in a league. This can lead to a selfish mindset, where strikers are focused on scoring as many goals as possible to win the award.

Pressure to perform: Strikers are often under a lot of pressure to perform, as they are expected to score goals and win games for their team. This pressure can lead to a selfish mindset, where strikers are focused on their own performance rather than the team's performance.

Overall, while great strikers may be seen as selfish, their focus on scoring goals and winning games is essential to the success of their team.

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Also, we aren’t the only team that give it him. He also gives it out just as much, he just can’t take it. 
silly billy. Wouldn’t want him here anyway 

There is/was a lot of whining & Whinging on both sides. 
He felt the need to dish some back. SOME Rams fans couldn’t take it. 
I’d call it a draw, and if he was ever man enough to come back and wear The Ram on his chest, he’d get my backing… as do they all. 🐏

28 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

There is/was a lot of whining & Whinging on both sides. 
He felt the need to dish some back. SOME Rams fans couldn’t take it. 
I’d call it a draw, and if he was ever man enough to come back and wear The Ram on his chest, he’d get my backing… as do they all. 🐏

The problem I have with him signing for is, is whether he would actually give a crap after signing the contract. I doubt it