Billy Sharp

Dartmouth Ram

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Billy Sharp is the type of striker, who at 37 isn’t going to start games, but you could bring on with 20 minutes to go when it’s 0-0 and can score you a goal. We haven’t really had that striker for a while md I think we need a young, pacy option up there too but I see no problem with having a look. 

He might only score 5 goals but those 5 goals could gain us an extra 10 points come the end of the season. Also that 5 players for 2 spots would be about right wouldn’t it?

Collins, Washington, Godden, a young pacey loan and Sharp wouldn’t be a bad mix would it if Sharp was 90% of the time your impact sub?

Forgot that we’ve been linked with an absolute load of strikers now, which probably makes it more likely to be a position between Godden and Sharp

Collins
Washington                                            

Sharp/Godden                                          
Lindsey                                                                                      
Bonis/Weston

Potentially Barkhuizen/Sibley sniffing around too. Not too bad either way 

Edited by TuffLuff

I think we've proven over the years that even players with history can go on to have a good relationship with fans when they come here. Way too much is made of that kind of thing. 

As a footballing decision... For me he's way past his best and I highly doubt he would tick many of the Paul Warne boxes, even in his prime. Without directing this thread down a wardrobe sized rabbit hole, why would a 37 year old Billy Sharp be any more acceptable than a 34 year old Chris Martin? Both with their best years behind them, we can do better.

I just don't see it as anything other than pure journalistic speculation, and heaven knows we have more than enough of that going on in the world right now!

16 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I think we've proven over the years that even players with history can go on to have a good relationship with fans when they come here. Way too much is made of that kind of thing. 

As a footballing decision... For me he's way past his best and I highly doubt he would tick many of the Paul Warne boxes, even in his prime. Without directing this thread down a wardrobe sized rabbit hole, why would a 37 year old Billy Sharp be any more acceptable than a 34 year old Chris Martin? Both with their best years behind them, we can do better.

I just don't see it as anything other than pure journalistic speculation, and heaven knows we have more than enough of that going on in the world right now!

Bring him home Warney, bring him home

19 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

One of my irritations with football is the fans who give all sorts of horrific abuse to players but get all "I'm so hurt and offended the this player who got appalling things shouted at him as said he doesn't like the group of people who just did that"

But it's not quite that, if I'm being fussy. Some Derby fans said those things; he was "delighted" to score against Derby because "I don't like them". That's a classic case of tarring everyone with the same brush.

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, because I've got no beef with the guy personally but I don't want him in our team anyway and don't think the Billy Sharp 2023 model is worth having!

26 minutes ago, jameso said:

But it's not quite that, if I'm being fussy. Some Derby fans said those things; he was "delighted" to score against Derby because "I don't like them". That's a classic case of tarring everyone with the same brush.

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, because I've got no beef with the guy personally but I don't want him in our team anyway and don't think the Billy Sharp 2023 model is worth having!

I agree I don't want him just because I don't think he's that good. Not bad but the amount of times you see *some* Derby fans wanting to sign him season after season I just don't understand.

if they've been getting some level of poop off fans I've zero problem if something gets said back. It's not especially about Derby fans and Billy sharp but a more general observation.

Yes, it's not everyone but was he supposed to qualify it "I was delighted because I specifically don't like the section of their fans who were nasty"

57 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I agree I don't want him just because I don't think he's that good. Not bad but the amount of times you see *some* Derby fans wanting to sign him season after season I just don't understand.

if they've been getting some level of poop off fans I've zero problem if something gets said back. It's not especially about Derby fans and Billy sharp but a more general observation.

Yes, it's not everyone but was he supposed to qualify it "I was delighted because I specifically don't like the section of their fans who were nasty"

Not that exact construction perhaps, but were he to say "I was delighted because some of their fans are real &%^$*!£s and they deserved that" I'd think that's understandable and a distinction worth making. 

Maybe it goes without saying, maybe not - nobody who thinks about it would seriously think that all fans of one club are homogenous scum - but by shooting his mouth off I think he's shot himself in the foot, because most Derby fans wouldn't approve of what was said to/about him but it's hard to be as sympathetic when he lumps you in with the morons who said it!

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

One of my irritations with football is the fans who give all sorts of horrific abuse to players but get all "I'm so hurt and offended the this player who got appalling things shouted at him as said he doesn't like the group of people who just did that"

Spot on mate, but in their defence though, he is a colossal weapon. I don't mind him giving a bit back at all, but he really is the type of mince-chatting cockwomble who'd find a scrap in solitary confinement.

Trouble for me is that other than vague knowledge of the spat with certain of our fans I know F all about him. Then you add in 37 and what seems like a huge ego, I don’t think he’s my sort of player*

*if he comes and scores on his debut I’ll probably say I quite like him and it was an inspired piece of business🤪

1 minute ago, jono said:

Trouble for me is that other than vague knowledge of the spat with certain of our fans I know F all about him. Then you add in 37 and what seems like a huge ego, I don’t think he’s my sort of player*

*if he comes and scores on his debut I’ll probably say I quite like him and it was an inspired piece of business🤪

I think he would still be prolific in league 1 😊